Downsize from 49" to 40" or 43" 4K

Mad Maxx

Supreme [H]ardness
My six year old LG 1080p TV died, over the weekend, so moving my 49KS8500 to TV duty until I find a nice deal on an OLED. Now thinking about getting a 40" or 43" 4K for my PC. Anyone do something similar? Leading candidates are the Samsung MU7000 40" and Sony XBR43X800E 43". At times, I've found it difficult reading text at 4K on screens smaller than 49", but am willing to try scaling to compensate. Any other TVs or monitors worth considering?

I just got a 43" Samsung KU7500 set up yesterday. I'm coming from a 27" monitor, so I'm still getting used to the size. So far, though, I think it's an awesome display (especially, for the $430 sale price). I found that 125% scaling was enough for me to read things w/o issue. I'd definitely recommend it if you are looking for a 43".

I just got a 43" Samsung KU7500 set up yesterday. I'm coming from a 27" monitor, so I'm still getting used to the size. So far, though, I think it's an awesome display (especially, for the $430 sale price). I found that 125% scaling was enough for me to read things w/o issue. I'd definitely recommend it if you are looking for a 43".
do you have a link for the $430 sale price ?

I got the same TV/monitor from Sam's with a PS4 Pro bundle. Coming from a 27" Asus 1920x1200 monitor and small 19" 4:3 secondary, it's pretty crazy. I haven't noticed any input lag and text is as sharp as any other monitor with 4:4:4 Chroma support. I'm still trying to get used to the real estate it provides, but for now I've been keeping it at 100% scaling and putting windows in each quadrant of the TV as I would previously on my two separate monitors and it works out well. It's literally like having 4 smaller 21.5" 1080p monitors in front of you at that point, hah.

The only complaint I have with this TV isn't with its use as a monitor; it's that it only has one HDMI 2.0 Port to support that supports 4K @ 60hz, 4:4:4 Chroma, and HDR (or "UDH Color" as Samsung calls it in the TV menu). I planned on using my PS4 Pro on this TV as well, which requires another HDMI 2.0 port to support 4K RGB and HDR mode in the PS4's display settings. So not a big deal if you only plan on using this TV as a monitor only. I could get a HDMI 2.0 switch too, but I haven't seen one for less than $50 or so and I don't care that much about it at the moment.

I ended up with a Samsung UN40MU7000 and am pretty happy with it, reading works great with the PC mode enabled and with the GPU set to display scaling.

If you can wait the LG 43UD79 will be out in a few weeks. I'm waiting for a review of that one and the VIewsonic and buying whichever is better.

Canceled my order for the Viewsonic VX4380. A lot of early reviews complain of burn-in with this particular IPS panel, which is the same one on the Dell 4317, Philips 4350, LG 43UD79, and an Acer. I'd rather just wait for some professional reviews before dropping $750.

Yeah, the Samsung I've got is a PVA panel I believe, which is fine for me actually, I came from a U3011 anyway, so I was well due for an upgrade and modern panels of basically *any* type largely outperform that U3011 today.

Canceled my order for the Viewsonic VX4380. A lot of early reviews complain of burn-in with this particular IPS panel, which is the same one on the Dell 4317, Philips 4350, LG 43UD79, and an Acer. I'd rather just wait for some professional reviews before dropping $750.

Where are you getting the information from that all those monitors are using the same panel? I know the Philips uses the TP Vision TPT430U3EQYSHM. I would be surprised if the LG uses this panel because LG makes their own 43" IPS panel.

I've spent the past week looking up these monitors and reading early reviews. Look therm up yourself. If I'm wrong, let me know.

I've spent the past week looking up these monitors and reading early reviews. Look therm up yourself. If I'm wrong, let me know.

Well I know for sure that the Phillips uses an "in-house" panel (made by TP Vision). I've heard, but never confirmed that the Dell uses an LG panel. PCmonitors.info suspects the Viewsonic uses the TP vision panel from the Phillips. I haven't seen any technical reviews for either the LG or the Viewsonic yet so I don't know what panels they actually use. I would be shocked if LG was using anything but an LG panel in their display. I know the Dell has issues with burn-in. I don't know if the LG monitor is using that same panel from the Dell or if they have a different 43" IPS panel (or a new revision) that doesn't have those issues.

I wanted badly to pull the trigger on one of these 43" , but every single one of them has someone mentioning a slight "shadow effect) of a 3-4 mm around the screen edges , most noticeable with taskbar on the bottom etc. This would drive me nuts as I've seen the pics some post of this effect. No idea why it would be a problem like this on these 43" in particular.

I wanted badly to pull the trigger on one of these 43" , but every single one of them has someone mentioning a slight "shadow effect) of a 3-4 mm around the screen edges , most noticeable with taskbar on the bottom etc. This would drive me nuts as I've seen the pics some post of this effect. No idea why it would be a problem like this on these 43" in particular.

My LG 43UF7600 exhibits the shadow effect, but it's really only noticeable on the left and right. I have to get to within a foot to start losing pixels on the top or bottom. But I'm still missing a line or 2 on the left and right at 4-5 feet back.

When using windowed apps it's not a significant issue since usually window borders and margins are on the left and right. I get around the issue in full screen resolutions by gaming in custom resolutions. In games that support it, I prefer a roughly 21:9 aspect ratio, at 3800x1640.

Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it, but I don't notice a shadow effect on my 43" Samsung KU7500. I do notice some minor ghosting if I'm displaying a solid screen, but it's not noticeable at all while gaming or doing anything like that.

Maybe I'm just not sensitive to it, but I don't notice a shadow effect on my 43" Samsung KU7500. I do notice some minor ghosting if I'm displaying a solid screen, but it's not noticeable at all while gaming or doing anything like that.

I think the shadow effect is limited to LG IPS panels. I know my TV has it, and the various 43" crossovers with a similar panel had it. Hoping the 43UD79 doesn't have it, but I haven't heard yet. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me if it did though.

Last edited:
I think the shadow effect is limited to LG IPS panels. I know my TV has it, and the various 43" crossovers with a similar panel had it. Hoping the 43UD79 doesn't have it, but I haven't heard yet. It wouldn't be a dealbreaker for me if it did though.
The one review for the 43UD79-T on amazon notes that, at least on the bottom, the shadowing is present. I believe this monitor is the same as the 43UD79-B except for the case/stand. So I would imagine the same shadow is present on the B model.

Quick update: Ordered a Sony KBR43X800E 43" 4K IPS. Rtings.com gave it the best rating for PC monitor use in the 40" - 43" class. We'll see. I'll post pics/comments when I get it set up.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x800e
Commander Shepard did you receive your TV yet? I just got mine today and I noticed in Game and Graphics setting on the tv theres is a lot of artifacting going on I had a 49x800D here and it wasn't doing that so I'm sure the cables are good. Maybe I got a lemon...
Using this on a HDMI 2/3

Commander Shepard did you receive your TV yet? I just got mine today and I noticed in Game and Graphics setting on the tv theres is a lot of artifacting going on I had a 49x800D here and it wasn't doing that so I'm sure the cables are good. Maybe I got a lemon...
Using this on a HDMI 2/3
That looks bad, indeed. I canceled my order when Amazon let me know it would be delayed for up to 2 weeks. Instead, I ordered that new LG 43UD79 monitor. I hadn't planned to try it, but the latest user reviews are encouraging. If I don't like it, I'll probably try the Samsung 43" KU7500. One thing about ordering TVs from Amazon, they don't make it easy to return non-defective units. I might drop by a Best Buy to look at some TVs, this weekend.

Back