downloading

row

n00b
i believe that windows 7 allows (2) downloads at a time, i think windows 8 is (6). anyone have experience with multiple downloads? are they safe, or something to avoid at all costs? i'm in the process of downloading games to my new storage drive and because they're so big (and my internet connection not great, 1mb/s at best) it will take forever. so anyone know if there is a greater (?) possibility of file corruption when downloading two (or more) files simultaneously? i understand that the possibility of file corruption is always present, and it stands to reason that downloading more than one at a time increases the risk, but i'm talking beyond what one would normally expect. any thoughts?

thanks for your input!

Depends upon the website you are downloading from, not the operating system. Many websites only allow 1 or 2 concurrent downloads whereas others allow more.

For example, I have a premium membership with NexusMods.com and have had 4+ concurrent downloads going. Without the premium membership NM only allows 2 concurrent downloads.

I think you're conflating Windows and Internet Explorer. Download limits are set by your browser, not bt the OS.

Though I'm not sure what games you would be downloading through a web browser, but I download multiple files (5-10 at a time) all the time through browsers and never once had an issue.

i apologize i meant to say ie 7 or 8

downloading through origin and steam at the same time

i understand that the possibility of file corruption is always present
Not really. The TCP network layer has error-detection mechanisms which should make corruption during transmission just about impossible. And there's no reason that parallel downloads would make any difference. Even using a download accelerator, which runs 4+ parallel downloads to fetch a single file, and even with ten of these downloads running at the same time, I can't even remember the last time a file came out corrupted.

Download corruption would be a non-issue for Steam anyway, since the "verify integrity" function lets you easily repair any broken game installation, usually only needing to re-download a few megabytes. I think Origin supports this too, but only for newer titles.

Yeah just to echo the above.. Each little packet of data transferred by TCP is verified on the fly so I wouldn't worry about corruption.

Back