Downloading Vista - Good Idea??

Guys,

Ok, I've uleashed my previous opinions and am starting to come around on the whole should I do Vista, yes, no maybe wait all that. I wanted to ask anyone if they have downloaded the OS rather than going out and purchasing it AND would you be able to burn the download so you have the DVD to install it later etc?

Good Idea or Go Fish?

DC:cool:

Well yeah, that's the whole point of downloading it after you purchase it: burning it to blank DVD media.

Sheesh... :p

I've always learned to ask questions even if they seem obvious, it saves some time in your life from being wasted later...

I'm not sure if this was made clear in your other threads... with the 100.65 nvidia drivers, you will need to remove one of your SLI video cards. According to nvidia, SLI compatible drivers will be out soon - March they say.

But if you cruise around the video card forums here or forums.nvidia.com you will see many people having lots of weird issues (low FPS, glitching sound, etc) from simply having a second video card in their system.

So... until this issue is worked out, the safest thing is to wait to upgrade, pull out your second video card or take your chances and see what happens.

Now: are you getting an upgrade/retail/OEM/Academic version of Vista? You might be able to get a better deal at a retail store - especially with things like the Paypal $15 rebate, $10 off with google checkout, mail-in rebates, etc.

calebb, I think your absolutely right, it might be worth waiting. I can't stand to see a 768mb card sitting outside of my system :eek:

Also, one thing that realy would stop me, I ran the upgrade advisor and it had an issue not only with the GTX card but also my Belkin Pre-N 108kbps wireless network card:

Belkin Wireless Pre-N Notebook Network Card Belkin
--> There is no compatibility data available for this device. For more information, go to the device manufacturer's website or Windows Marketplace, or contact your retailer.

So really my wireless card won't work as well it seems.

I'm not sure if this was made clear in your other threads... with the 100.65 nvidia drivers, you will need to remove one of your SLI video cards. According to nvidia, SLI compatible drivers will be out soon - March they say.

But if you cruise around the video card forums here or forums.nvidia.com you will see many people having lots of weird issues (low FPS, glitching sound, etc) from simply having a second video card in their system.

So... until this issue is worked out, the safest thing is to wait to upgrade, pull out your second video card or take your chances and see what happens.

Now: are you getting an upgrade/retail/OEM/Academic version of Vista? You might be able to get a better deal at a retail store - especially with things like the Paypal $15 rebate, $10 off with google checkout, mail-in rebates, etc.

do you have to remove it? afaik you just cant enable sli.

I don't have an SLI setup, so I cannot say for certain. If Martyr or MattWeb are using SLI with G80 nvidia cards in Vista and have no problems when they disable SLI, then I'll take their word for it!

However, there is likely more than one factor going on - Just take a look at the nvidia SLI forums (recently moved from forums.nvidia.com to slizone.com). There are many people that cannot resolve their issues by simply disabling SLI. This could be due to a different conflicting driver, improper uninstallation of an old driver... but there are issues such as sound glitches, BSODs, when that second card is present in these systems.

As far as your Belkin issue - did you look at belkin.com? Is your card the F5D8010? Vista support table.

Yes, checked that site, thanks for posting the link, says support is coming soon. So I'm sure that card won't work with Vista now.

Thanks calebb

Unless there is some strange anomoly which relates only to the 8xxx cards I'd like toi call "bullshit" to a fair amount of what's being claimed in this thread. I have earlier (6xxx) cards and know damned well that some claims here are incorrect!

Matter of fact I just now rebooted and checked, to ensure that what I'm saying is 100% accurate.

• Check BIOS - Yep, SLI is configured!
  • Boot into XP - Yep, SLI is still working as it should!
  • Boot into Vista - Yep, Vista works just fine!
  • Run Everest Ultimate - Yep, 4 display outputs reported as available, 2 graphics adaptors reported as available, and only one of them reported as a 3D accelerator, just as expected.
  • Run benchtests, stress tests, god-knows-what-fucken-else-tests, run videos, do productivity - Yep, everythings works with no errors or crashes!

Simple fact. If a game will happily run using one of your display cards then run it in Vista. If a game needs both of your display cards then boot into XP and run it until SLI gaming is available for Vista in a month or two's time.

Simple supposition - most of the tales of woe must be coming from people who are fiddling about trying to make Vista do things which device drivers won't yet allow it to do.

Caveat - I have no fancy audio card in this PC, and won't have until either Creative stops wailing and gets its act together or another manufacturer bobs up with affordable cards which run properly under the Vista environment.

Unless there is some strange anomoly which relates only to the 8xxx cards I'd like toi call "bullshit" to a fair amount of what's being claimed in this thread.

<snip>

Caveat - I have no fancy audio card in this PC, and won't have until either Creative stops wailing and gets its act together or another manufacturer bobs up with affordable cards which run properly under the Vista environment.

Well there you go. Just because you don't experience a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist!

Do you think all those people on slizone are lying? (not likely). Maybe the problem is their antivirus program (i.e., this thread.

No need to call BS - all that we've done in this thread is pointed out that some people have problems when they have 2 NVIDIA cards in their system. The problems are resolved when they remove one card. (which, as previously stated, does not mean that the second video card is to blame - but this is a workable solution for now).

I'm calling bullshit to it being presented as an inevitability of having SLI configured on the system, that's all. If people are experiencing problems it is not the result of their system being configured for SLI, and they should not have to disable SLI or remove a card to resolve the issue.

Not unless there is an issue which can be demonstrated for a specific display card SKU. Unless that can be demonstrated then any problems people are experiencing have their explanation (and most appropriate resolution) somewhere other than the SLI configuration.

I don't have an SLI setup, so I cannot say for certain. If Martyr or MattWeb are using SLI with G80 nvidia cards in Vista and have no problems when they disable SLI, then I'll take their word for it!

7 series in SLi, both cards are installed, no SLi support for 6/7 series as of yet but can play just fine on 1card in Vista. No need to remove the un-used card. I hope that clears that up.

Back