Downloading Office Libre or Open Office W10

wtourist

[H]ard|Gawd
I've never had much problem putting Office Libre or Open Office on a computer.
A neighbor needed help with an HP Printer.
OK, found the software downloaded and installed.
(this is a Walmart HP Computer, cheap and slow, Windows 10)
He wanted to manipulate documents and print.
I believe he needs a basic word processor.
Attempted to download install both without success.
Anyone know this problem? Have a solution?

It would be super useful if you explained the error instead of just claiming it was "without success"

Attempted to download install both without success.
Anyone know this problem? Have a solution?
Define: "without success" Need input, screenshots, exact error messages, etc..

It would be super useful if you explained the error instead of just claiming it was "without success"
Agreed, running in here and going "HALP! BORKEN!" doesn't get one help.

Downloaded office suite installer. Software download reached about 94% and stopped.
No error message.
This occurred with both several times.
My guess is HP or Microsoft security is stopping some part of download. Most likely an HP setting. Or malfunction.
Though downloading HP Printer software took several tries.
I am 67 and NOT a computer genius. Just the go to guy in Senior Housing Building, like it or not. HP Computer cost $400 including monitor, flimsy keyboard and poor mouse.

I spent a couple hours helping a neighbor. I would just like to know if this is my lack of knowledge or if this is common to cheap HP Computers.
Internet connection may be the problem. ie length of time for download.
He is supposed to call Comcast. There was no security PW sticker on gateway. Every other internet connection got "no internet connection" screen. Refresh reconnected. Without Comcast PW could not "secure" connection.

If this was W7 I would just blame computer or Comcast. W10 I am not very familiar with and w10 can be very frustrating doing simple things. For me anyway.

I suspect I will have to nag neighbor to call Comcast. And then possibly exchange computer. Behavior seems wrong.

So, if worded poorly. Is anyone having a problem downloading office suits on a Walmart HP Computer besides me in this instance? Personally I would take it back. I think my 2006 HP functioned better. But if this is common will work with it.

If a download is not completing, try disabling the AV real time protection while downloading, try a different browser, or try to find a mirror download link.

Anti virus is generic Microsoft (Windows Defender), browser google. Will try changes. Thank you for assistence.
Still seems odd.

Anti virus is generic Microsoft (Windows Defender), browser google. Will try changes. Thank you for assistence.
Still seems odd.

As a makeshift solution, try one of the free download managers. They help diagnose these kinds of problems as you are able to see what's going on and the managers are clever enough to re-start on conn-loss.
Or use torrents.

OpenOffice was discontinued in 2011

Libreoffice or derivatives is what is required.

OpenOffice was discontinued in 2011

Libreoffice or derivatives is what is required.
Nope, OpenOffice is maintained/"owned" by Apache now. Extremely slow updates though so it's still best to stick with LibreOffice.

I generally use Office Libre. Sometimes Microsoft 2010/2013. Ocassionally use Apache Open Ofice.
When I put a "free" office suite on a computer I often install both and let the owner choose. Some people are more comfortable with Apache OO.

I want to thank everyone again. It is clear this is a specific to this computer (HP in question) problem.
I'm beginning to think a Windows reinstall is the easiest way to bring it into "normal" range.
Remember I had trouble downloading the HP Printer software, too.

Waiting on a Comcast visit to check gateway.

Nope, OpenOffice is maintained/"owned" by Apache now. Extremely slow updates though so it's still best to stick with LibreOffice.
yer... I tried to edit my post. OpenOffice is owned by Apache but it hasn't been updated since 2014

Back