downloading music through itunes

hey guys... im pretty new to the whole downloaded purchases thing through itunes... I havent downloaded music in over a year (no urge to do it illegally) and lately a couple songs have caught my attention, so im looking to purchase individual mp3's through itunes. However, i have a couple questions regarding these downloads....

I have a desktop computer at home, which i like to have my music library on so that i can listen to music if i dont have my laptop on me (im away at college, so parents' house is home). If i were to purchase mp3's through itunes, would i be able to move the mp3's around freely between my desktop (PC), current laptop (windows), and my new macbook pro that i am getting in a couple days?

Im not really sure how the whole mp3 downloading thing works exactly, so if someone could enlighten me, i would appreciate it. Thanks.

Yes. Just authorize the second computer in Itunes to play the purchased music, and copy the file over.

You can have up to 5 computers authorized to play your purchased stuff.

iTunes doesn't offer MP3s for download, only protected AAC files and unprotected AAC files (iTunes Plus).

If you don't want to deal with DRM, I would suggest the Amazon MP3 Store or Napster's online service (if you can stand the interface), especially since you only want a handful of songs and iTunes likely won't have what your looking for in the iTunes Plus format.

for the amazon mp3 store, is it free of protection with good sound quality? looks like that might be a good option for me

for the amazon mp3 store, is it free of protection with good sound quality? looks like that might be a good option for me

Songs downloaded from either the Amazon store or iTunes come at a bitrate of 256 kbps. I think the only difference, besides the copy protection (and the format, AAC vs. mp3), would be the selection for each library.

I thought itunes was only 128kbps vbr aac. Amazon is Lame -V0 ~ appx 256 kbps vbr mp3.

I thought itunes was only 128kbps vbr aac. Amazon is Lame -V0 ~ appx 256 kbps vbr mp3.
Regular iTunes music is encoded as 128kbps CBR AAC files. iTunes Plus files are 256kbps.

Amazon uses at least 256kbps LAME MP3s, but it's up to the label to decide whether or not the files will be variable bit-rate or not.

Regular iTunes music is encoded as 128kbps CBR AAC files. iTunes Plus files are 256kbps.

Amazon uses at least 256kbps LAME MP3s, but it's up to the label to decide whether or not the files will be variable bit-rate or not.

^ My mistake in not realizing the difference between the two different iTunes bitrates.

Since I've never bought anything through Amazon, is there a discernible difference between CBR AAC's and LAME MP3's?

^ My mistake in not realizing the difference between the two different iTunes bitrates.

Since I've never bought anything through Amazon, is there a discernible difference between CBR AAC's and LAME MP3's?
If you're comparing Amazon's MP3s to files offered in iTunes Plus, you won't notice a difference. Both will offer translucent quality when compared to the source material, unless you're using a really, really high-end audio setup.

I'd have to recommend Amazon. It's just better to me...all files are 256kbps which is definitely better than the 128aac. Plus no DRM. They automatically will/can import to Itunes and come with album art etc.

I bought a couple 128kbps AAC tunes and they sound like crap compared to Amazon.

I can tell the difference between 128kbps mp3s and 256kbps mp3s very easily on $35 Sony headphones. Cymbals and higher vocals sound notably tinnier with the lower bit rate. I would go with the Amazon store because of that, as well as the small issue of not worrying about DRM.

Why buy something locked down when you can buy something that you can use without extra and unnecessary hoops to jump through?

Also, for what it's worth, I can't at all tell the difference between 256kbps and 320kbps, which mp3s top out at. At that point, they're both really good and I'd be happy with either. 128's still a bit low though.

Back