Download Windows 8 Consumer Preview

The difference is that with Windows 8, it's designed with an entirely different set of inputs in mind, with the inputs that were previously used for every incarnation of Windows are an afterthought.

Just my opinion but if you think Windows 8 is a step forward then you must be drunk or high. Start button on this thing would have made it better. :(

At the very least there should be an option for "desktop" mode with start menu and all the metro stuff disabled. When the dev preview came out I assumed that there would be something like this in the final shipping version, ala "Windows Features", but the CP has me thinking they're going full steam ahead in the other direction. Looks like Windows 7 will be my desktop OS for the foreseeable future unless MS pulls their head out of their ass between now and the end of the year.

Metro may be great for tablets, but it is nothing but an impediment for desktop use.

I absolutely can not stand all the flat 2d single color boxes.

What is this designed to run on. A 286?

I gave it more than 20 minutes, if I wanted an Android desktop, I'll just use my tablet. Windows 8 sucks. Off it goes. I'll stick with Windows 7 for as long as it is supported, just like I did with XP

At the very least there should be an option for "desktop" mode with start menu and all the metro stuff disabled. When the dev preview came out I assumed that there would be something like this in the final shipping version, ala "Windows Features", but the CP has me thinking they're going full steam ahead in the other direction.

That would be counter-productive. The reason they didn't include that switch is for people like us who would disable it.

Installing from .iso onto bare metal Dell Latitude E5420! Let's see what all the hub-bub is about.

I'lll be home in 6 hours to give this a whirl on an older Atom based Dell mini 9.

Anyone know why it keeps asking me for a product key? Does it want my Windows 7 product key? I'd have to go to the basement and dig that out of a box, it got packed up in a recent move.

Anyone know why it keeps asking me for a product key? Does it want my Windows 7 product key? I'd have to go to the basement and dig that out of a box, it got packed up in a recent move.

It was on the website with the download:

English

Product Key: DNJXJ-7XBW8-2378T-X22TX-BKG7J

The start button is gone? Thank freaking god. That archaic useless item was good 17 years ago when it was introduced. Today it is completely worthless except for chumps who are stuck in the 90's. Do you still rock a mullet and listen to Billy Ray Cyrus?

Oh, I'm sorry..some of us don't like having a ton of crap cluttering up the screen. I likewise only want a handful of programs on my taskbar. The startbutton and in turn search was how I found all the crap I didn't want on my screen.

That said..Tried the dev preview and now the consumer preview. I am looking forward to seeing what Win 8 can do on a tablet..however for my desktop it is just straight garbage. Not having a normal desktop as an option is just flatly a stupid move by microsoft.

You think this means we wont be about to install it without a product key like we were Windows 7 so we could try out the different versions?

This looks like a cool OS for tablets or phones...but when are they going to release the next desktop OS? :mad:

Oh, I'm sorry..some of us don't like having a ton of crap cluttering up the screen. I likewise only want a handful of programs on my taskbar. The startbutton and in turn search was how I found all the crap I didn't want on my screen.
And what do you know, hitting the windows key or clicking in the corner still opens the start screen, and typing on the start screen still searches. I'm not sure what you're finding here that's broken.

That said..Tried the dev preview and now the consumer preview. I am looking forward to seeing what Win 8 can do on a tablet..however for my desktop it is just straight garbage. Not having a normal desktop as an option is just flatly a stupid move by microsoft.

This either (1) Press the windows key or (2) Click in the exact same spot the start button has always been, and start typing...voila, search! Just like in Windows 7.

Wow, after 5 minutes I just about barfed at the new interface.

Way more complicated than IOS and Mac OS. This is going to piss off a lot of every day average Joe users.

*breath* I'll try it out a little more, but I don't know if I can take too many long sessions with this junk

The start menu functionality is ALL still there, they just took out the button.

Those screenshots are butt ugly. I see nothing so far in Windows 8 that I'm even remotely interested in. Windows 7 is going to remain my OS for as far as I can see right now.

Honestly those screenshots make it look a lot like the new xbox 360 dashboard. I doubt i'll upgrade past windows 7 for a long time but I'll wait to see more before final decision.

This either (1) Press the windows key or (2) Click in the exact same spot the start button has always been, and start typing...voila, search! Just like in Windows 7.

Windows users have had the same basic interface since Win95, start button and taskbar...you know why, because it just plain works. I'm not about to try and train hundreds of employee's on using a new interface design...If I wanted to do that I could switch to Linux or Mac. :rolleyes:

sounds like the same moaning when Vista showed up. Then low and behold, windows 7 functioned just like it and the bitching stopped.

That would be counter-productive. The reason they didn't include that switch is for people like us who would disable it.

[strike=option]Idiots[/s] people like us advertising about how Vista was "EATIN ALL UR RAMZ," is how it died (well, that and econo-shitboxes with a Pentium III and an Intel IGP thinking it could run Vista well).

So preventing [strike=option]regular[/s] power users (I almost forgot what we think of oursevles as ;)) from fucking with the system is a smart move, IMO.

I'm sure someone is going to believe the examples are not equateable, however, remember the whining and moaning (griping would imply we were calm about it) when power users found out Windows 7 completely removed "classic?" start menu and taskbar (much less the nitpicking that still occasionally flares up on the explorer UI). If we complain about something a minor as that, imagine what a whole new start menu would be? (remember Vista/7's start menu vs XP and everything prior?) Actually, calling it a "start menu" would be perpetuating the problem; imagine what a whole new shortcut interface would be?

Windows users have had the same basic interface since Win95, start button and taskbar...you know why, because it just plain works. I'm not about to try and train hundreds of employee's on using a new interface design...If I wanted to do that I could switch to Linux or Mac. :rolleyes:

To further add.

The changes from Windows XP through Vista up to Windows 7 have been painful for some IT departments. Most users don't deal with change very well and this is going to throw them on their kiester.

Trying to shovel this shit on us is a mistake. They should have introduced the new ui slowly, as an option or a download, make it a clicky fad or something to draw attention and gauge people's reactions. I'm sick of companies trying to invent cool. It can't be done. They should focus on individuality. Make everything totally customizable so that no two OS would look same, if the user wanted.

I have not used the developer preview and haven't had the chance to use the consumer preview. From the reviews I've read, I'm still confused on what is different from 7 for the desktop user. Can I still do the same things I do on 7, but in a different way? Or did they just totally take out the concept of a desktop user?

To further add.

The changes from Windows XP through Vista up to Windows 7 have been painful for some IT departments. Most users don't deal with change very well and this is going to throw them on their kiester.

What was painful. Always read this, but no detail.

I have not used the developer preview and haven't had the chance to use the consumer preview. From the reviews I've read, I'm still confused on what is different from 7 for the desktop user. Can I still do the same things I do on 7, but in a different way? Or did they just totally take out the concept of a desktop user?

Desktop is the same, the start menu is now the start screen. There are changes to the desktop though, ribbon has been added to explorer, much improved file copy functionality, new task manager, etc.

The people in here pointing fingers at the bitcher's and whiners and how change is good have probably never had to train a lot of other people how to use a new OS. From XP to Win7 it was pretty painless and low cost...Windows 8 would be not so much. Of course you all go out now and by the latest iphone and grab a latte because this is the next best thing since sliced bread.

And what do you know, hitting the windows key or clicking in the corner still opens the start screen, and typing on the start screen still searches. I'm not sure what you're finding here that's broken.

The start menu functionality is ALL still there, they just took out the button.

Nor do I need that function to take up my entire screen on a 24" monitor..This is a Terrible ui..but feel free to keep apologizing for it. Sorry if I don't appreciate "consolitus" on my desktop PC.

They force the whole tablet interface (Think Apple IOS, or Android) on you in a desktop environment, it might be great on a tablet but I personally don't think it works well on the desktop.

The people in here pointing fingers at the bitcher's and whiners and how change is good have probably never had to train a lot of other people how to use a new OS. From XP to Win7 it was pretty painless and low cost...Windows 8 would be not so much. Of course you all go out now and by the latest iphone and grab a latte because this is the next best thing since sliced bread.

These are the types of statements that are confusing. Some say Win 8 for the desktop is really not that much different. But now it will cost and be painful?

What was painful. Always read this, but no detail.

Users had a hard time finding where things went. Document locations and names changed slightly. The overall look intimidated users and caused confusion. I had many many phone calls and service trips for retraining users on how and where things moved to in Vista/7.

They force the whole tablet interface (Think Apple IOS, or Android) on you in a desktop environment, it might be great on a tablet but I personally don't think it works well on the desktop.

I was just given the contrary idea. Which is it?

Back