Download manager in Firefox

lorcani

2[H]4U
How do I turn off the download manager in Firefox? I hate to say it, but Firefox can be really unstable (random crashing for opening up a website), and when it crashes I lose my downloads. This isn't all that big of a problem, unless I'm download some 450Mb game demo off a download queue (like FileShack). Not fun.

Is there any way to disable the download manager entirely? If you can disable it, what program will take over the downloading, the same program IE uses to download (the reason I ask is because that would be preferable to using the Mozilla download manager)?

Well maximum PC recomends "Star downloader" its supposed to be spyware free, havnt tried it myself though.

The problem isn't the download manager I'm using: it's great. I just want to disable it because I don't like the manager FireFox uses (I like the default one IE uses most).

The only thing I can think of is to get an older build of firefox (firebird) that doesn't have the built in download manager.

You could try looking around the mozillazine forums. I seem to remember this subject being discussed there.

Edit: Here you go

Argh, damnit. I may just have to switch to FireBird.

Thanks for the information TerryG. I knew such a forum existed, but I couldn't find it on the Mozilla website.

Why not use a different download manager?

When you ccme across a link that contains a large file, just copy and paste the link into the download manager. Use something like GetRight.

I'd be trying to figure out why your Firefox is crashing so frequently, first. Got to ask why your not using the bittorrent client on a 120mb or 450mb download next.

But if your downloads aren't completing, like say after trying to pause them, I've had that happen, too. Next time this happens go back to the download link and start a download .... same one. Point it to save in the same folder. Firefox will then ask if you want to replace that file. Click yes ... it won't replace it but it will pick up where it left off.

It isn't all that frequently, and it just crashes randomly. Last time FF crashed, I tried restarting the download doing that, and it didn't prompt me to overwrite. I think it deletes the temp file or something the way I have it set up.

Probably so. Tools\Options\Tab under "downloads" --- tick the "ask me where to put the damn file .... "

That should take care of that.

Back