Download manager for Firefox Quantum

M76

[H]F Junkie
I've been using Flashgot for ages, but that project seems dead in the water, with no plans for releasing a compatible version.

I've been using FF 52ESR, but that thing is utter garbage, it's slow as hell and buggy with addons. The last non-quantum version of FF worked perfectly but the nagging got out of control so I went with esr. But I'm going crazy, addons turn off or only partially work with it, or not at all. And sometimes the whole pos just freezes for seconds.

So are there alternative download managers that work with quantum, and can download multiple links from a page at once, and where I can simply click on links and they're added to a queue instead being blindly downloaded at once. It'd also be helpful if it could detect media that is being played on a page and grab the url of those.

What? Nobody uses any download managers? Seriously?

I haven't used one since I had dial-up. Which is so long ago I cant remember.

Utorrunt handles my downloads nowadays.

I use Internet Download Manager that I purchase ages ago. Never found a good alternative for use as an add-on extension to FF. Paid once for it, and it's updated all the time for free.

I use Internet Download Manager that I purchase ages ago. Never found a good alternative for use as an add-on extension to FF. Paid once for it, and it's updated all the time for free.
I'm not sure what you mean. I'm not looking for a download manager that runs inside firefox. Just an addon that can grab the links and send them to the clipboard or a download manager. Which flashgot does perfectly.

Why do you need a download manager? IIRC, Firefox will pause/suspend downloads for you should you lose connection. Making multiple connections to a single download location isn't really beneficial with today'ss broadband.

The only time it makes sense is to use it to connect to multiple download locations should one of them be slower, but how often does that happen these days?

I'm sitting on a gigabit connection.
Most shit I pull down is finished within seconds of starting.
Anything bigger is infrequent.
Anything that takes longer is coming through a proprietary application that you can't use a download manager on and is limited by the other end.

Ergo, I have no use for a download manager.

Why do you need a download manager? IIRC, Firefox will pause/suspend downloads for you should you lose connection. Making multiple connections to a single download location isn't really beneficial with today'ss broadband.

The only time it makes sense is to use it to connect to multiple download locations should one of them be slower, but how often does that happen these days?
I don't want to connect to a single file multiple times. I want to download many files without having to click on save as on each of them, instead I just want a button that says save all. And firefox can't queue downloads if I want to download 10 files from the same site it will try to download all 10 at the same time instead of one-by-one

I also would like it to detect and capture media links so I don't have to go to inspect element and network analysis to actually find links of video files that I want to save.

Last edited:
I'm sitting on a gigabit connection.
Most shit I pull down is finished within seconds of starting.
Anything bigger is infrequent.
Anything that takes longer is coming through a proprietary application that you can't use a download manager on and is limited by the other end.

Ergo, I have no use for a download manager.
I'm happy for you that you have no use for a download manager, however I don't see how that helps me. You're not using a "If I don't need it you don't need it" argument here, are you?

I'm happy for you that you have no use for a download manager, however I don't see how that helps me. You're not using a "If I don't need it you don't need it" argument here, are you?

Because you posted:

What? Nobody uses any download managers? Seriously?

That was the post I was responding to. YOU asked a question. I answered in a more verbose version of "No I don't. Seriously."

So I'm unsure why you're suddenly pissy about it...nearly 3 weeks after the fact...

Have a nice day...

Back