downgrading w8 home to windows 7 home impossible?

Dan

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,
Yesterday a customer came in who bought a Toshiba satellite with w8 home on it. They purchased windows 7 home. I went into bios, disabled secure boot and as soon as it loads the w7 disk, it locks on the windows logo. I tried 3 of our burned copies of OEM disks, and it denied them all saying Failed media check. (it now knows a burned disk?) I replaced the stock HDD with a brand new WD black to see if it had something to do with the software on the existing HD, and when I try to boot the w7 disk on the new HD it freezes at the same point. Am i missing something?

Grasping at straws here, but maybe it's EFI mode issue. The system is likely in EFI mode by default. Either see if you can change it to BIOS mode in the EFI menus or select to boot to EFI boot device mode (from boot menu).

No to the USB stick and ill repost about the EFI mode.

Grasping at straws here, but maybe it's EFI mode issue. The system is likely in EFI mode by default. Either see if you can change it to BIOS mode in the EFI menus or select to boot to EFI boot device mode (from boot menu).

This was it! had to go into legacy mode. I appreciate it!

I've had similar issues trying to get Windows 7 re-installed on my new board in EFI/UEFI mode. (This was before I moved to Windows 8.)

What I had to do was modify the Windows 7 installation files onto a USB stick so that it'd be a bootable EFI USB installation. You will need a Windows 7 installation disc for this to work.

Instructions are here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2280676

It's very long, slightly complicated, but it does work.

There are other similar instructions that can be found around the internet as well.

I've had similar issues trying to get Windows 7 re-installed on my new board in EFI/UEFI mode. (This was before I moved to Windows 8.)

What I had to do was modify the Windows 7 installation files onto a USB stick so that it'd be a bootable EFI USB installation. You will need a Windows 7 installation disc for this to work.

Instructions are here: http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2280676

It's very long, slightly complicated, but it does work.

There are other similar instructions that can be found around the internet as well.
... You don't need to do any of that stuff. You either switch the BIOS to EFI mode, or you select the EFI -version of your boot device from the boot menu. If you do more than that you're doing it wrong or your board doesn't really support EFI booting.

Back