Downgrading from Domain to WHS based network

LoStMaTt

2[H]4U
Have a client that has downsized their office and computers/server starting to get old.

SBS2003 + 3 XP PC's. (They used to have over 10)

The software they used has moved to the web and is no longer used on the server.

So they want new PC's and their server is old enough to make me worry a bit (have backups in place but still - crashing servers are no fun even if you have a good contingency plan)

So -- couple people are getting new Windows 7 boxes, one is sticking with their current machine on XP.

I am just wondering if I should leave everything in place but add the WHS to the mix and just install the WHS client and use as backup --or take their PC's off the domain and dismantle their old server.

I am leaning towards the latter because WHS is simple enough for them to manage themselves and will never have frustrating problems that sometimes spur up in Domain environments.

If it were me I would leave everything in place until I was ready to put the WHS box into production. Once in place change all the PCs from domain to workgroup. After the reboot have them copy over their domain profile folders into their new local profile, delete their old domain profile, set backups at the new WHS and then your good to go.

First thing i would do is check the licensing for WHS as you may be violating the MS license by using it in a business. Second you could just go with windows XP if you only need folder shares

they dont use exchange?

i like domain in business. if not using exchange pick up a cheaper Raid 1 dell server, just for AD, Folder Redirection, and a centralized backup.

If they were just using the SBS box as a plain file storage server..suppose you could downgrade everything.

But..like Marley mentioned above...aren't they using the cool stuff of SBS like....Exchange, OWA, RWW, Sharepoint, shared fax, integrated backup, etc?

If the server is physically getting old, you could "move the SBS" to a new physical server doing ESXi and the P2V conversion client. I've done that quite a few times already...clients with existing SBS servers...still running well, SBS itself quite intact..but running out of space, getting too slow, or..worry about impending physical problems of the existing server.

Back