Downgrade future 10980XE chip to 10900X chip ?

Organik

Weaksauce
So I have done some research and the 10900x desktop 10th gen goes to 5.3Ghz but I don't know if that is all core. The 10980XE which I have been waiting for with mobo and ram in hand refuses to come out. Now the 10900x 10 core 5.3Ghz is coming out before the 10980XE which doesn't make sense. I really don't need bunch of cores as I don't do video editing. I run a DAW and even the 8 core 9900k would shine. For some reason I decided to go HEDT from my 4930k HEDT chip which still handles DAW work.

Should I sell the motherboard and get a dual channel 10900 setup for gaming and DAW or just wait it out until the 10980XE is available ? I could probably OC her to 4.8Ghz. Thanks in advance for your replies and comments.

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
you are confusing the 10900"X" with the 10900"K"..... The 10900K has a TVB to 5.3, but to hit those speeds, very specific demands have to be met, however with saying that, im very much positive that the 10900K will of course all core OC much better then the HEDT 10900X cpu. I personally am waiting on the 10900K to show its face in retail channels as I sold my 3950x for this reason, but i cant tell you what "YOU" should get as I have no idea what your demands are.

Organik

Weaksauce
you are confusing the 10900"X" with the 10900"K"..... The 10900K has a TVB to 5.3, but to hit those speeds, very specific demands have to be met, however with saying that, im very much positive that the 10900K will of course all core OC much better then the HEDT 10900X cpu. I personally am waiting on the 10900K to show its face in retail channels as I sold my 3950x for this reason, but i cant tell you what "YOU" should get as I have no idea what your demands are.
Thank you soo much for the great response. Well here is the thing and don't laugh lol. I want to have my new rig for many many years to come.. Im talking 7 year minimum. I will only upgrade video cards once every couple years. I run DAW and have never even hit 80 percent usage on CPU on a large project. I fell for the more cores = better.. But that is not the case as single core performance is important as well. I cant believe your tossing away your 3950. I saw benchmarks and in everyone the 10900K " thx for correcting me" won by 200 points in single core tests but lost big time with multi core tests. I don't think I can send back the motherboard so selling it will just make me lose probably 80 to 100 dollars right there off the bat. I have a new RAM kit collecting dust as well. I dont use any Adobe apps. I game and general desktop usage and run DAW. I believe 18 cores is big time over kill but I fell for it... What advice you have for me ? 10900K or 10980XE whos mobo I have.

newls1

Supreme [H]ardness
Im gaming only, so my demands, and your demands are completely different. 10900k will perform better for games, no one should argue that. 10900k @ 5.0GHz+ with its stronger IPC will win for gaming.. The AMD 3950x, although was a FANTASTIC processor, was very limited on its OC potential, and just wasnt for me and my needs for it to serve its purpose. Yes, it was awesome seeing all those cores in Task Manager, but wrong cpu for me... 10900k is my answer, as was the 9900k that I sold to get the 3950x. I buy and sell PC hardware as a hobby, its fun for me. Trying new and different combo's is what I like to do... that way, when people like yourself are looking for help and answers, I can reply with actual findings and truth, and not like others that just reply based on what they "read"... I hate that! If I was you, you sound like you may need more cores, so maybe the amd platform would be good for you, might consider getting the 3950x... cheap (relatively speaking) and still has 1 new cpu gen that will be supported on the AM4 platform. OR

Might think about finding a 10940x on the x299 platform. More PCIe lanes, quad ch mem, and might prove to be the best of all worlds for you, but im unsure if its a dead platform or if intel will release new cpus for this socket..... IDK know this. Hope some of this helpped ya

Organik

Weaksauce
Im gaming only, so my demands, and your demands are completely different. 10900k will perform better for games, no one should argue that. 10900k @ 5.0GHz+ with its stronger IPC will win for gaming.. The AMD 3950x, although was a FANTASTIC processor, was very limited on its OC potential, and just wasnt for me and my needs for it to serve its purpose. Yes, it was awesome seeing all those cores in Task Manager, but wrong cpu for me... 10900k is my answer, as was the 9900k that I sold to get the 3950x. I buy and sell PC hardware as a hobby, its fun for me. Trying new and different combo's is what I like to do... that way, when people like yourself are looking for help and answers, I can reply with actual findings and truth, and not like others that just reply based on what they "read"... I hate that! If I was you, you sound like you may need more cores, so maybe the amd platform would be good for you, might consider getting the 3950x... cheap (relatively speaking) and still has 1 new cpu gen that will be supported on the AM4 platform. OR

Might think about finding a 10940x on the x299 platform. More PCIe lanes, quad ch mem, and might prove to be the best of all worlds for you, but im unsure if its a dead platform or if intel will release new cpus for this socket..... IDK know this. Hope some of this helpped ya
You rock newis1 .. Very smart man you are and kind. I love your responses. I catch your drift going from 9900k to 10900k for gaming about 300 or 400Mhz faster will def dish out more frames per second. I play games but not much,, I play Quake Champions which my 4930k and 2080 handle with ease and its smooth and has zero lag. I could get a 10900k and get another 15fps higher but does this matter to me ? Maybe you more then me. You might be a hard core gamer so your path is correct. But me Im fine if I dont get even 9900k performance as long as it doesnt fall below 120fps and even if it does and goes to 80's aor 90's its butter smooth. Basically give or take I don't care much if I lose 20fps per second less then a 10900k. I mean 120fps or 140fps is same to me. In the future I want to do large audio projects and the fact the CPU won't be huffin and puffing is attractive which is why I went Intel's HEDT way which still isn't released. I hear your AM4 will last until their 4xxx series but I doubt I would get a 3950 then get a 4950 .. I mean I understand every year new processor and faster but I have to settle as Im not guru hobbying like you. So long as games give triple digits fps and DAW is handled no matter how many VSTi's and plugins. Im talking like 100 real time tracks. I never will peg that 18 core to its max and POP and crash. I think I will lose 100 bucks if I sell the motherboard sitting here plus Ive waited this long so might as well wait another month or something. Thanks again for your input is graciously received.. Thanks my friend.

D-EJ915

[H]ard|Gawd
If you don't need the cores and are already invested into the X299 platform you could just get one of the other parts the 10900X, 10920X or 10940X.

Organik

Weaksauce
If you don't need the cores and are already invested into the X299 platform you could just get one of the other parts the 10900X, 10920X or 10940X.
Well, money is not a issue as my cousins husband works for Intel at Silicon Valley so he said he can get me discount probably around 200 to 300 dollars....I want a 4.8Ghz OC and people achieve that with 1.30v ...... I will never have all cores pegged at 100 percent as I dont render or use adobe apps like I said. I mean Im gonna have many cores just parked in my DAW. I just figured more cores = longer life span for the CPU 7 to 10 years and what not.

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
my cousins husband works for Intel at Silicon Valley
If thats the case he can get you a CPU then.

If you dont have this CPU then why does your signature show:
10980XE @ 4.6 / Gigabyte X299X Aorus Master

As if you already have it and its OCed. Also gigabyte has hands down the worst boards on x299.

Falkentyne

[H]ard|Gawd

As if you already have it and its OCed. Also gigabyte has hands down the worst boards on x299.
I told you guys already :) He's Turtle_Rig. Just look him up.
I honestly don't understand. Why doesn't he just buy a 64 core Threadripper and a Prosiphon Elite ?

Organik

Weaksauce

I have all the parts except CPU ,,,, and Im behing my old rig 4930k ...... so I just put 4.6Ghz 10980XE which as I said Ive been waiting for along with the mobo and ram I got.

German Muscle

Supreme [H]ardness
Well good luck finding the 10980xe. The yields are not very good on that chip so getting one is very your better off getting a 7980xe or 9980xe.

Organik

Weaksauce
Well good luck finding the 10980xe. The yields are not very good on that chip so getting one is very your better off getting a 7980xe or 9980xe.
No kidding....... I hear people saying July ........ I love intel but I hate them for all these months nothing......... Only to utubers and reviewers..... idiots.. I happy their getting it in the A*** as soo many turned away from Intel HEDT to AMD HEDT...... They have soo much money they don't care and do a paper launch... I still hear how their revenue has gone up ever since the 9900k and so on.

GoldenTiger

Fully [H]
No kidding....... I hear people saying July ........ I love intel but I hate them for all these months nothing......... Only to utubers and reviewers..... idiots.. I happy their getting it in the A*** as soo many turned away from Intel HEDT to AMD HEDT...... They have soo much money they don't care and do a paper launch... I still hear how their revenue has gone up ever since the 9900k and so on.
Fascinating fairytale fable.

jyi786

Supreme [H]ardness
I may be a little late to this thread, but I was in the same predicament. I use my rig for music production, hardcore gaming, media consumption/creation, and work (think running 5+ VMs at the same time).

I'm a musician. I have 6 albums out. I switched my DAW to Reaper, and needed a rig that could handle 64 tracks, VSTs, and never run out of polyphony. With that in mind, I built a monster system that cost $10k in September of last year, and I was lucky to. Try and find the CPU now, I would have been short. Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel 9980XE
Motherboard: Asus WS x299 Sage Pro/10G
RAM: 128GB G Skill RGB Z
GPU: MSI nVidia RTX 2080 Ti Seahawk EK
GPU support bracket: CloverTale Graphics card support bracket
Sound: RME Fireface UCX
PSU: Seasonic Snow Silent 1050W
Case: Fractal Define R6 USB C
Quad monitors: Asus PG279Q (x2), BenQ BL3201PH (x1), Dell P2418HT Touchscreen (x1)

I went with 1/2" tubing for my build. The watercooling specs are as follows:

Radiator: MO-RA 420 Pro
Waterblock: XSPC Raystorm Neo
VRM Waterblock: Heatkiller VRM (customized by me)
GPU Waterblock: stock EK that it came with
Fans: Noctua NF-A14 PWM fans (x18) <--- [yeah that's not a typo]
Reservoirs: Heatkiller Tube 150 (x2)
Pump: Watercool D5 Vario (x2)
Tubing: Mayhems 1/2" clear tubing
Fittings: All XSPC compression fittings
Valves: XSPC black chrome (x2) [for outlet]
Liquid: Plain distilled water, no color
Biocide: Mayhems Extreme biocide

See this thread for pics and further details.
https://hardforum.com/threads/my-first-watercooled-build-9980xe-rtx-2080ti-etc.1987324/

Let me know if you have any questions; I'd be happy to answer them. My rig has been great. Super stable, hasn't crashed once (except for when I was stabilizing it), and is crazy fast.