DoW or DoW2?

FalconSS

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys I never played the original Dawn of War and now that DoW2 is out should I go ahead and get that ( I loved Company of Heroes) or get the DoW Gold pack off steam and wait for it to drop in price.

Gold Pack $20
Platinum Pack (includes dark crusade) $30
DoW 2 $50

Id go for DoW2.

DoW is still great but it has its flaws and limitations. DoW has the advantage that for the complete series you get alot of races and maps. DoW2 doesn't have that atm

DoW2. It is a fantastic game that will only be made better when the free DLC starts to roll in.

They are both great games. Having played both, I prefer the sequel. The focus on tactics and rpg elements make it superior for me.

is DoW2 really worth the money right now? The reason I ask is its been a while since I shelled out $50 for a game.

is DoW2 really worth the money right now? The reason I ask is its been a while since I shelled out $50 for a game.

:confused: How much do you normally 'shell' out for a game? Dawn of War 2 is clearly the better choice.

i wish dow2 multiplayer was like dow1. i like building bases. dow2 graphics is great and the cover ability is a great feature too

If you loved COH then you should atleast like DOW2 since the individual unit tactics(ie using cover and different squad combinations) are very similar.

DoW2 all the way, I have 1 and Dark Crusade, uninstalled both after playing 2 for couple hours. Already knew the multiplayer was awesome from beta but the campaign is much much better than I expected. I'll go as far to say that it's the best single player RTS campaign I have every played, some others might have a better story but I really like the rpg elements. People complain about how it's too much of a change from traditional RTS, but I'm sick of Sim City and I just wanna kill shit, this is right on. There's a pop cap bug right now that can really hurt in mp but it will be fixed soon.

hehehe, Thanks guys, I just bit on DoW2...hard pill to swallow but we'll see. Installing now...

EDIT: Updating now... 22%

ok...initial impressions...

one... I HATE GfWL! still can't get it to work on my computer. I can sign in fine on the stand-alone clent but not in-game...just like fallout3.

two... there seems to be a few glitches with it on 32-bit Windows 7 and Vista.
1. Any time I change graphics options from the main menu, it locks up and I have to control-alt-delete out, but the change is in effect the next time I start it.
2. first time I started it I went into options and bumped the resolution up 1 notch from the default 1280xsomething to my native rez 1440x900. after I restarted the game (see above) The main background where the guy used to stand was hot pink with an error message "out of video memory. I ended up starting the game anyway because all the menu's work and the game plays fine. I only get that error with the hot pink background on the character loadout screen.(where it would show the 3d model of the character) I can still set my skills and equip items but I can't see a preview.

anyway I'm currently level 6 and I'm kinda waiting for it to pick up. I'm thinking about going into a skirmish just to play around a little.

EDIT: rig i'm using is in my sig...

DoW2 is a complete bastardization of the original...
They took out everything that added depth to the make and now you can just move units around! hooray for a super dumbed down version of a great game...

sorry I guess I'm just bitter... hope you enjoy it more then I did!

:confused: How much do you normally 'shell' out for a game?
Almost every game that gets released these days drops to half its original price within 6-9 months of launch. To be honest I find it bewildering that so many people willingly fork over $50-$60 just so they can have the latest thing, when there are so many great games out there available for less.

ok...initial impressions...

one... I HATE GfWL! still can't get it to work on my computer. I can sign in fine on the stand-alone clent but not in-game...just like fallout3.

tell me about it!!! I went and got it via STEAM yesterday and 1st start and go and create a GfWL accound and the machine locks up
hard reset and try again BAM same problem

I launch GfWL client from within windows and it opens IE to say there is a flaw in GfWL when creating a new account and you must manually install this update...

DoW2 is a complete bastardization of the original...
They took out everything that added depth to the make and now you can just move units around! hooray for a super dumbed down version of a great game...

sorry I guess I'm just bitter... hope you enjoy it more then I did!

The original was great (and I still <3 it) but DoW2 is just a different style of play. There is very limited things you can do with a RTS... build base, build defence, build units ZEERK RUSH!!!!
DoW tweaked it a bit to make it so you don't have a vuln harvester and also encurage pushing into maps (less turtling) with the SP system

HOWEVER... it was not like tabletop at all

I am only on the 6th mission and tried a skirmish and while they have gone against the fluff in a few things, they have it more like hte tabletop - plus what they have added is an interesting twist to RTS

I much prefer DOW2. I was really getting sick of the traditionnal base building RTS. DOW2 is a bold step ahead IMHO.

It's nice to see a company taking a risk like that, instead of going with the ''traditionnal'', overly done, and boring RTS...

well, the patch didn't work... oh well. I even updated to cat 9.2+AGP HF from 8.12. Its still just an okay game for me though. I guess I haven't said much "wow" because I played CoH to death and this seems like a stripped down version of that with added unit depth. Feels kind of "arcadish" to me for a strategy game. I still play conquerclub in my spare time.

EDIT: Wow... the other DoW2 thread has gotten WAY off topic... kinda sad

go gamer has it for $35 now, before I buy I was curious as to the learning curve? Im never played DOW, but have played other RTS...anyone care to chime in?

go gamer has it for $35 now, before I buy I was curious as to the learning curve? Im never played DOW, but have played other RTS...anyone care to chime in?

pretty much the same-old same-old as far as RTS is concerned (so if you are used to that then thats 1/2 the battle)

The learning curve would come from learning units (since you didn't do DoW or I am guessing tabletop) BUT mainly from breaking away from resources

the Original DoW broke away from harvester type ECON by having two main resources
1) Energy (by building Power stations)
2) Req (by capturing stratigic points & holding them - ie encurages you to move out and take enemy SP)
3) later expansions gave new races some race-specific (Dark eldar had souls etc)

DoW2 kinda took it a bit further by removing the whole "build a blding for troops, blding for vehicals, bld for enhancements"
I am not to sure how the skirmish/MP goes since I aint tried that yet

Back