DoubleSight DS-265W Official discussion!

I just got my replacement. No dead or stuck pixels. I am happy now. The slight purple tint is there at angles, no white glow. Like the previous poster said, if 1:1 and extra ports don't matter to you, then this is the way to go. I know there are people out there who hate the glow, so this is what will make or break the decision.

Oh, and so far I dont see that flicker at the top.

It happened to me after 3 days. And its not always, while I type this that flickering is gone, the monitor was on stand-by for a while. And as I said its with very particular stuff, the top border of an aero glass window (minimized) can help to spawn it.

Yeah, it came back for about ten minutes. On the marble wallpaper you can see it all across the top. It doesnt really bother me though. Can it be interference?

I can't believe that cut out backlight control in the 265. Doublesight is even dumber than I thought.

Well, so far the flickering is not coming back by now. Maybe I have to wait for the display to be really warm.

Other issue, the big and cheap blue led ("power on signal") started to fade and flicker too, LOL. At least I hope it turns off completely.

Dear god, this looks like a mess...I'm using a 17" IPS Sony (back when only IPS existed...in 2001) ...after selling my NEC LCD2690wuxi...no dead pixels, was a gem. All i was looking for was some quiet since the NEC is loud as hell.

Looks like the only alternative is a monitor thats worse in every way but quieter...oh man.

Wait, let me get this straight:

1. Flickering pixels at top row. So far, three users have it.
2. No backlight control. Does that mean I can't turn down the brightness at all? Is there a diference between brightness and backlight control?
3. The blue LED light can't be turned off in the menus? Or was that another monitor?
4. It radiates heat and gets toasty? How toasty? Will it dry my lips and aggravate the oil glands in my face, giving me more acne?

Man, maybe I should just get a TN panel and be through with it. There's ALWAYS something wrong.

Wait, let me get this straight:

1. Flickering pixels at top row. So far, three users have it.
2. No backlight control. Does that mean I can't turn down the brightness at all? Is there a diference between brightness and backlight control?
3. The blue LED light can't be turned off in the menus? Or was that another monitor?
4. It radiates heat and gets toasty? How toasty? Will it dry my lips and aggravate the oil glands in my face, giving me more acne?

Man, maybe I should just get a TN panel and be through with it. There's ALWAYS something wrong.

1) I'm guessing it is some sort of overdrive artifact but yesterday I was looking for it but didn't see it all night. I don't think it is related to warming up/being warmed up. Even when it is there the effect is so minor it doesn't bother me at all.

2) The brightness is a black level control. I don't know of a good way of reducing the supernova brightness without destroying the contrast and color balance. I hope there is a way to do it in software.

3) There is no way to disable the power indicator light. I have never seen or heard of a monitor which let you turn it off. That being said, the light on this monitor is quite dim and not annoying at all.

4) It gets warm, if you put your face right next to the panel you can feel the heat radiating off like a Plasma TV. I think this is normal for a 26" 500 cd/m^2 monitor.

I would agree, this monitor seems like it was just thrown together clumsily, maybe just as a way to get rid of excess stock of LG panels. I love it compared to my old TN panel, the stand fits my desk nicely, I don't care about 16:9 scaling or extra inputs, no dead pixels, no input lag. The only issue for me is the brightness control, but for games and movies it is ok at quasar-power levels. It's just web-browsing that melts my eyeballs.

I just got my replacement. No dead or stuck pixels. I am happy now. The slight purple tint is there at angles, no white glow. Like the previous poster said, if 1:1 and extra ports don't matter to you, then this is the way to go. I know there are people out there who hate the glow, so this is what will make or break the decision.

I'm trying to tell if mine has the polarizer. I have a greenish glow in the corners when looking straight on (on a black background, on a normal background the corners seem slightly brighter). But I do not see any white glow or red glow when looking at the screen from a very wide angle. :confused:

Am I the only one that can appreciate the speakers? You can't even tell they are in there. I use a pair of Beyerdynamic dt770's for gaming, so when I put them away its nice not to have clutter on the desk. The speakers are fine for surfing the web.

Now im really confused as to what monitor to get! ive been monitoring
the Planar PX2611 thread as well as the DS-265W thread and just having
mixed feelings about both monitors now! I guess it depends on what your needs
are. Which is the better of the TWO? What other alternatives do I have besides
the NEC ?

Hazro coming to North America? far as I know its only selling in Europe.
And how much longer do I have to wait? LOL Ive only been waiting since july.

From the Hazro website:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Are Hazro monitors available outside the UK?

Currently Hazro monitors are available in the UK only. Hazro are working with reselles in Western Europe and North America and endeavour to have a sales channel operating by Winter 2008 [we anticipate October].

This monitor sucks. It comes with not needed speakers which inflate the price. Def not worth it.

Common people, don't hate the monitor so bad. It's a cheap solution with an expensive panel, nothing is perfect.

So far the flickering top row hasn't come back again. Strange, so far I had it one day for about half an hour. I just hope it doesn't come back a year later to stay there forever.

The blue led is off. OFF. That's great! :D The monitor looks better without it.

I'm not really bothered by all the brightness this monitor has. Actually I think blacks and whites are perfect. The heat this LCD makes... oh well, it's hot but not hotter than my Triniton CRT 19" monitor.

While I'm happy with it, I know it would have been better not to wait and gone for the previous DS-263N. That's life.

It not only inflated the price, it inflated that overly thick bezel. That thing is thicker than a block of cheese.

I see that Newegg has dropped the price down to $699... just FYI

Once I get my ponies saved... I am gonna pick this beast up! I think it is a solid deal!

Get the planar or the HP....... This monitor lacks proper backlight control...... you can apparently only use it at like 50 brightness... which I hear is blinding.

Overall I would definitely recommend not buying this monitor (and I probably won't ever buy a DS product again). That being said, my monitor has no dead pixels and the colors/image quality of the panel itself is awesome, so I am reluctantly satisfied.

For those of you that bought this monitor, Is there a correct way to adjust the brightness using either software adjustments or using the black level "brightness" control on the monitor without screwing up the colors and contrast?

Overall I would definitely recommend not buying this monitor ... my monitor has no dead pixels and the colors/image quality of the panel itself is awesome, so I am reluctantly satisfied.
If you are (reluctantly) satisfied, why wouldn't you recommend this monitor? Just curious because I am still considering this monitor, but reluctantly because of the reviews here.

I need a monitor that is good for picture and video editing, some gaming, but can also be used to show video clips and slide shows at convention halls. So multiple inputs (for different media connections) and an IPS panel (for color reproduction and viewing angles) sounds like what I need, with built in speakers preferred. I will only use the built in speakers for presentations so I don't have to haul more hardware around. If not this monitor, then which one?

Thanks,
Craig

Overall I would definitely recommend not buying this monitor ... my monitor has no dead pixels and the colors/image quality of the panel itself is awesome, so I am reluctantly satisfied.
If you are (reluctantly) satisfied, why wouldn't you recommend this monitor? Just curious because I am still considering this monitor, but reluctantly because of the reviews here.

I need a monitor that is good for picture and video editing, some gaming, but can also be used to show video clips and slide shows at convention halls. So multiple inputs (for different media connections) and an IPS panel (for color reproduction and viewing angles) sounds like what I need, with built in speakers preferred. I will only use the built in speakers for presentations so I don't have to haul more hardware around. If not this monitor, then which one?

Thanks,
Craig

The main reason is the apparent lack of backlight control and the weird top-row-pixel-artifact.

I've actually gotten a minor headache/eyestrain from playing games on this monitor in some zones that have a lot of blue, green, or white in them because it is so bright. Does anyone know if there is a way to reduce the brightness level using only the digital black level control or other software means which won't screw up the contrast, color balance and gamma?

In case anyone is wondering, I emailed the ebay seller of the refurb DS-263N with some questions and was told it does not have the A-TW polarizer. However, there are no dead/stuck pixels according to him.

Hmm I may sell my DS to get the apple 24" LED backlight display coming out next month, if it is IPS...

In case anyone is wondering, I emailed the ebay seller of the refurb DS-263N with some questions and was told it does not have the A-TW polarizer. However, there are no dead/stuck pixels according to him.
DOH! :eek: I bought a brand new DS-263N from him for about $130 more and then he posted that ad. Live Search discount, though. :D

The good news is, my monitor looks beautiful and it has absolutely no dead/stuck pixels! Woot! Took some pictures and leaning toward it not having the A-TW polarizer, but if it does not, I will personally say this whole quest for the A-TW polarizer is extremely overblown. Downloaded the earth picture and only about the last 10-20° starts to lose any blackness and the rest of the time it looks as black as the pictures shown that have it. The camera also makes it look much worse than reality. If you compare that to a POS TN panel, where you wouldn’t be able to see anything at all at those angles - this is a minor issue. On top of that, I don’t know about you, but I am not in the habit of using my monitor at ridiculously extreme angles. ;)

Now to me, the lack of 1:1 pixel mapping on the DS-265W is a much greater flaw, if you plan on watching movies on it. Anyone looking for an IPS monitor for all around purposes, I would strongly encourage you to either go with the Planar or try and find a DS-263N.

$500 openbox on newegg... do you guys think it's worth it?
For what I need it seems alright. The lack of inputs doesn't affect me since I only plan to use it on my PC.

Assuming the panel isn't scratched and the number of dead pixels isn't bad it should be fine.

Firstly, what's all this 1:1 stuff you guys are on about? Also, there are newer revisions of the DS-265W that you will know because the model is printed on the upper right of the display boarder. On the newer models of the display, the USB and HDMI port text is removed.

I REALLY wish I'd known about that $600 deal a lot earlier, like back when I purchased the display. I'm actually on my 2nd one right now.

The first one I got had that upper pixel line. I got that RMA'd through DoubleSight. The next one, the one I'm on now, has a hole in the back of the screen and a bunch of red dots all in the upper right area. It's really only evident when there is black. Then the third one they sent looked fine and everything was cool, but then somehow the screen from the inside was cracked so when I turned it on, it was all LCD cracks and stuff everywhere.

So now that one's in shipping back to them so I can wait for the other they will send. Hopefully this bad luck will stop soon. The display is quite amazing, but maybe I'm just not as well-versed as I should be in LCD tech. Comparing to the TN panels around the house, this is quite amazing. And the clarify, it is H-IPS right?

For the $600 price, it's more worth it. For $700, that's stretching it considering you're only getting component, DVI, and VGA. Thankfully, they include an HDMI to DVI cable for you to view HDCP content with so that's one thing, but the lack of a port means you can't have both plugged in at once w/o a switch box, and I don't know if the speakers will activate while using that DVI to HDMI link or not since I haven't tried it. A lack of all the plug-in features of the Dell 2408 seems to be one of the biggest gripes, but it's two extra inches and, for the price, I think they make up for it well.

Oh, and I don't know if a DVI cable can carry the HDMI singal which gets you from 16-236 colors to 0-255 or whatever.

Firstly, what's all this 1:1 stuff you guys are on about?

1:1 pixel mapping capability in a monitor means that the monitor will only display the exact resolution that is sent from the video card and center it on the screen. For example, if you have your video card resolution set to 800 x 600 the monitor will show a small, 4:3 aspect ratio desktop centered on the screen with black bands surrounding all four sides. The upside of this is that the displayed desktop will be crystal sharp since you're not interpolating anything. Monitors that do not support 1:1 pixel mapping, like the DoubleSight, will always scale the image larger to try to fill the monitor screen. This means the 800 x 600 desktop gets "approximated" to display at 1920 x 1200. Not only does this cause some blurriness to the icons, text, etc, it also distorts the 4:3 aspect ratio source to a 16:10 aspect ratio. In other words, everything looks fat or stretched side to side. Now many monitors allow scaling without changing the aspect ratio. In this case, your 800 x 600 desktop would fill the screen top to bottom and would have black bars only on the sides. Nothing would look distorted, but image quality would still be a little blurry.

So why really care about 1:1 pixel mapping? It is only important if you want to display the sharpest, highest quality image that is possible. Here's another example. Let's say your video card isn't powerful enough to display Crysis at an adequate frame rate when the video card resolution is set to 1920 x 1200. So you lower the resolution to less than your monitor's native resolution, let's say 1680 x 1050. At this resolution the game runs fine. With the DoubleSight monitor the image automatically enlarged to fill the screen and looks blurry. With proper 1:1 pixel mapping, you could have a slightly smaller, but crystal sharp image surrounded by thin black bars. I'd rather play the game with the latter option.

As an aside, even if you do buy a monitor that supports 1:1 pixel mapping properly, you still need to remember to turn off "scaling" in your video card driver. Otherwise, the video card will also enlarge non native resolutions to fill the screen.

Double-sight is selling this monitor for $600 - $30 MIR = $570 in their online store.
I guess demand is way down. Newegg still has it priced at $700 before MIR.

Back