DoubleSight DS-265W Official discussion!

Whats wrong with buying LCD monitors from Newegg? I bought my current monitor from them without any issues.

Whats wrong with buying LCD monitors from Newegg? I bought my current monitor from them without any issues.

Nothing wrong with Newegg for monitors - that is if you have no problems with your monitor. They have very restrictive policies regarding what they consider defects (dead pixel count, mode and view glitches, banding, humming, flashlighting, uneven backlighting, etc.), returns and restocking fees on monitors. And before you ask, yes, there are other places with better policies including Dell (for Dell models), Amazon and NCIXUS.

Nothing wrong with Newegg for monitors - that is if you have no problems with your monitor. They have very restrictive policies regarding what they consider defects (dead pixel count, mode and view glitches, banding, humming, flashlighting, uneven backlighting, etc.), returns and restocking fees on monitors. And before you ask, yes, there are other places with better policies including Dell (for Dell models), Amazon and NCIXUS.

Wouldn't the manufacturer handle any such problems anyways (in this case Doublesight)?

I looked at one of the retailers mentioned before (Provantage) and I couldn't even find any information regarding LCD monitor return policies. Do most retailers have special RMA guidelines concerning LCD monitors?

Wouldn't the manufacturer handle any such problems anyways (in this case Doublesight)?

I looked at one of the retailers mentioned before (Provantage) and I couldn't even find any information regarding LCD monitor return policies. Do most retailers have special RMA guidelines concerning LCD monitors?

Different retailers have different policies, some better than others regarding what qualifies for an RMA or return. NewEgg's policy isn't one of the best when dealing with LCD's. I have only had one problem with a monitor purchase in the past and that was dealing with a $100 manufacturer rebate where the rebate company folded. I purchased the monitor from PC Connections and they honored the rebate for their customers without any problems. THAT was good customer service. I haven't ever had an RMA problem with NewEgg, but I have never purchased an LCD from them either. If the prices are comparable, doesn't it make sense to purchase from a company that gives you a better guarantee or lower requirements to qualify for an exchange or return?

What about scaling? Does "auto" maintain the aspect ratio, or does it only switch between 16:10 and 4:3?

No, auto does not maintain the aspect ratio in general. It seems to switch between 16:10 and 4:3. Auto is not available over component.

Are there really noticeable issues stretching 16:9 to 16:10? Or is it just about being able to output an unmodified, unsullied 1080p image? Everything I've looked at (games/blu-ray) looks great, and the stretching isn't noticeable. On the other hand, I have no unstretched image to reference, and maybe it would be obvious if I did.

So there is no "aspect" option to maintain the aspect ratio? That is too bad, the monitor should display 16:9 content without stretching. What if you changed it to 4:3 when you were ouputting 16:9 content, would it letterbox?

BTW sent this email to DoubleSight:

Hello, I was wondering does the Component input on the DS-265W accept 1080p? Thank you.
Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest in DoubleSight product.

The DS-265W is accepting the 1080p.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions.

Thanks and regards,

DoubleSight Displays

So with a grain of salt, the DS-265W "is accepting the 1080p." :D

****snip **** If the prices are comparable, doesn't it make sense to purchase from a company that gives you a better guarantee or lower requirements to qualify for an exchange or return?

True. Mostly I was asking because I was trying to decide if it was worth paying a little more to get the monitor from Newegg and not have to wait a month. After looking at how much less the other retailers plan to sell the monitor once they can, I may as well wait and buy from somewhere else.

Hehe! Screw waiting for reviews from this thing.... Unexpected pell grant freed up cash for the NEC :)

I just got one last night from newegg. One stuck pixel. It keeps staring me right in the eye on any black screen. I am coming from a 20wmgx2 which had that blasted glow in the corners. Glad I dont have to deal with that anymore. It does have a red tint when looking at extreme angels.

I just said screw it and ordered one today after trying to get a Planar from CDW (they were backordered for a month).

/crosses fingers and hopes for no dead pixels :)

Another confirmation of a polarizer. Sounds like at least this first batch has one.

How is it so far, kessomatt? Sorry to hear about the stuck pixel, you could try exercising it. Few questions, how is it in displaying sRGB colors? How is the text? Input lag? If you set your PC to ouput 1080p, and you change the scaling to 4:3, does it maintain the aspect ratio of 16:9 with black bars on the top and bottom?

No black bars on the top in hdtv mode 4:3. What is the easiest way to test input lag? Also, how would I test srgb colors? Also, I have tried rubbing it with a lint cloth with no luck. How do I excercise it?

Does this monitor have a 1:1 pixel mode? Please turn off your video card scaling, monitor scaling and try sending the monitor a 1680 x 1050 signal. Are there black bars on all four sides? Is the aspect ratio of the 1680 x 1050 desktop correct? Thanks.

Yes there is 4 black bars and it looks correct. Anyone know the easiest way to test input lag? I have a dell m1330 to test with. Any tips on the pixel?

Did you turn off your video card scaling? I thought this monitor didn't have 1:1 mapping.

Actually I just tried again with 1080p with scaling disabled, and I did see black bars on all sides.

I sent an email to good old Dario asking about the scaling, here's what he said:

Hello,

I have a question about the DS-265W. Does it have 1:1 pixel mapping like the DS-263N use to have?

What I mean, for example, if I connect a 1080p source will the display correctly show black bars on the top and

botton of the screen?

Thank you for your time.

Yes – it has the same pixel mapping capabilities.

Thank you,

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales & Marketing

Yeah, I think I'll trust my own eyes and see for myself. Or I would if some of the half dozen people who actually own this model would post some goddam pics of it.

kessomatt said:
What is the easiest way to test input lag? Also, how would I test srgb colors? Also, I have tried rubbing it with a lint cloth with no luck. How do I excercise it?

You need to clone your output from your graphics card to a CRT in addition to the DS-265W and run a timer in order to test input lag. Or you could even tell us if there is notable difference between it and CRT in general use qualitatively. You need a calibration tool to test the colors of the monitor. You can try UdPixel to try to exercise the stuck pixel. There is also the tap or pressure methods

Actually I just tried again with 1080p with scaling disabled, and I did see black bars on all sides.

What mode did you have it on when you got black bars? Auto or 4:3? And are you sure you say ALL sides? 1080p is 1920 x 1080. There should be no vertical bars, as the monitor's horizontal resolution is also 1920. Do you have any external device you could test, that would output 1080p without scaling, like a Blu-Ray player or game console?

Also, armastotle said pictures would be GREATLY appreciated.

Yeah that doesnt sound right with the black bars. In catalyst, what should I have it set at to test this? I cant get my ps3 or xbox out until my wife comes home later to help me move our entertainment center. I dont have a CRT anymore. But I can tell you that I do not notice a difference from my old nec 20wmgx2. Thanks, I will try to fix that pixel. I am trying that undead pixel program, how long should I leave the flash box on it?

Also, to the poster that said the power supply gets hot, did your replacement unit get hot also? Mine is really hot, I couldnt hold it for very long.

It is recommended to leave UDPixel going for a few hours after you have selected the stuck pixels. No guarantee it will help, but it's worth a shot if it has a chance at fixing it.

I am not familiar with catalyst, as I have an Nvidia card. I would assume that setting your resolution to 1920x1080 and disable any scaling would be enough.

My suggestion to kessomatt was to select a non-native resolution in his video card driver (such as 1680 x 1050, a 16:10 aspect resolution) and send that to the monitor with no video card scaling and no monitor scaling. For that particular resolution he should see black bars on ALL four sides. Perhaps it would be easier to choose a 4:3 aspect resolution such as 1024 x 768. Send that and you should still see four black bars and the desktop should look proportioned like a regular old CRT.

Now if he sends a 16:9 resolution such as 1920 x 1080 (bluray or broadcast HDTV source) then I agree he should only see black bars at the top and bottom.

kessomatt, I'm pretty sure the no video card scaling option in the ATI catalyst control panel is called "use centered timings". I don't know the name for the monitor mode, but it should be called something like "1:1", "pixel", "aspect", etc.

Armatoste, the NEC seemed a little crisper probably due to the glossy screen. I used the centered timings, and turned off scaling on the monitor. I do get black bars on all four sides.

So would you say that this monitor is worth getting? Does the bezel look too wide? Is the stand woobly?

Okay, X-ray Doc, I understand you. Yeah, a lower resolution like 1680 x 1050 will have black bars all around. kessomatt, I'm looking forward to see if when you hook up a PS3 if you can maintain aspect ratio when outputting 1080p. From what you have said so far, it sounds like it should be able to.

And I don't know if I said this yet, but thanks for answering questions.

No problem. The bezel is a little thick, but it looks nice. I think it is worth getting. What do you guys think the chances of getting an excahnge from newegg? There is that one stuck pixel, and a little bit backlight bleed in the middle. Usually the BB is off to the edges, would that count as defective?

No problem. The bezel is a little thick, but it looks nice. I think it is worth getting. What do you guys think the chances of getting an excahnge from newegg? There is that one stuck pixel, and a little bit backlight bleed in the middle. Usually the BB is off to the edges, would that count as defective?

I think Newegg's LCD policies are infamous for a reason. If it bothers you a lot, try it anyways though.

dalearyous said:
has anyone compared this with the samsung T260HD?

No, but then again there technically isn't a review yet. And also, the market who would buy TN panel vs. IPS is different.

They will exchange it, as long as you don't say its because of the stuck pixel. Find something else wrong with it and tell them that. Worked for me with a 24" a few months ago.

I sent an email to good old Dario asking about the scaling, here's what he said:

Hello,

I have a question about the DS-265W. Does it have 1:1 pixel mapping like the DS-263N use to have?

What I mean, for example, if I connect a 1080p source will the display correctly show black bars on the top and

botton of the screen?

Thank you for your time.

Yes – it has the same pixel mapping capabilities.

Thank you,

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales & Marketing

Yeah, I think I'll trust my own eyes and see for myself. Or I would if some of the half dozen people who actually own this model would post some goddam pics of it.

I've posted this before, but I bought this monitor from newegg, and it most definitely does not support 1:1. You have a choice to display in 16:10 (stretched to fill the screen), 4:3 (black bars on the sides), or "auto", which picks one of the above two options (4:3 for 4:3 resolutions, 16:10 for everything else, as far as I can tell).

I don't know where Doublesight or kessonmatt are getting this 1:1 option. Look at the 265W manual available on the Doublesight website--16:10, 4:3, and AUTO are the only options.

Using the "centered timings" on catalyst and the 16:10 option on the monitor, I got 4 black bars when selecting a lower resolution.

Using the "centered timings" on catalyst and the 16:10 option on the monitor, I got 4 black bars when selecting a lower resolution.

I'm using some old Nvidia drivers on an ancient card (FX5900 I think) and I can't find any scaling options, but I get no black bars at 1680x1050 or 1080p, and the image is obviously stretched. I'll try updating drivers to see if that gives different options.

I can say that my PS3 over HDMI is stretched to fill the screen when it outputs 1080p.

OK, I just looked up that driver option, and the ATI card is adding the black bars and outputting at 1920x1200 (you can see what the monitor is receiving from the video card by looking at the bottom of the first menu screen) . You need to disable the video card scaling to test the monitor's capabilities.

Wait, so the PS3 will stretch no matter what you choose, Auto, 16:10, and 4:3? That's disappointing. I use the 4:3 option on my Dell 2007WFP and it maintains the 16:9 ratio with bars on top and bottom.

Wait, so the PS3 will stretch no matter what you choose, Auto, 16:10, and 4:3? That's disappointing. I use the 4:3 option on my Dell 2007WFP and it maintains the 16:9 ratio with bars on top and bottom.

I would think it would be more surprising that 4:3 gives 16:9, than 4:3 gives 4:3! ;)

I would think it would be more surprising that 4:3 gives 16:9, than 4:3 gives 4:3! ;)

Funny. :p Now I'm curious, what does 4:3 look like with PS3 1080p? Squashed with black bars on all 4 sides? That's pretty much a dealbreaker. I need a monitor that can display native HD resolutions. I was pretty much sold on the monitor too.

Funny. :p Now I'm curious, what does 4:3 look like with PS3 1080p? Squashed with black bars on all 4 sides? That's pretty much a dealbreaker. I need a monitor that can display native HD resolutions. I was pretty much sold on the monitor too.

This monitor never puts black bars on the top & bottom, only the sides. 16:10 fills the monitor, 4:3 puts black bars on the side for 4:3 ratio stuff.

In 1080p at 16:10, the PS3 is slightly vertically stretched to fill the screen. FWIW, it looks fine to me, but I can understand that 1:1 would be better. 16:9 resolutions from my PC are noticeably distorted by this stretching.

In 1080p at 4:3, the image is displayed exactly as you would expect, a 4:3 image, vertically filling the screen with black bars on the sides. Of course, this produces a horizontally compressed image that looks like crap, because 1080p is a 16:9 resolution.

You keep asking about 4:3, I think based on some strange behavior in your current monitor. On the DS-265W, it works just like it should, so it's not suitable for displaying anything other than 4:3 resolutions. What other people are upset about is the lack of 1:1 support for 16:9 source material.

HTH...

Back