DoubleSight DS-245W vs. Samsung 245BW

bfx

n00b
Title sums it up.

My old faithful Viewsonic P225f crt finally died.

RIP

So - here I am on an even older Magsonic 17" (that the p225f replaced - and glad I didn't rhrow it away) looking for a new monitor.

I don't play games - no free time - so response and lag times aren't that critical.

Do watch a few movies on the computer though - maybe two per month.

Main use is as hardcore amatuer doing realistic 3D stills and animations.

I know from seeing my apps running on other displays that 24" is the size I want within my budget of $500.

Research has led me to the SAMSUNG 245BW and DoubleSight DS-245W as the two contenders.

SAMSUNG - established company, decent display for a TN panel, versatile OSD.

DoubleSight - little known company, s-pva panel with apparently good quality, narrow range of screen resolutions.

Unknowns for both -

1:1 scaling in 4:3 modes, support, etc.

Hope someone can give advice on which to choose.

bfx

EDIT:
I searched and read the posts for the DoubleSight before posting

ENDEDIT

I have the SAMSUNG, and it is a dream. The 19200x1200 display shows great color and contrast (3000:1). I highly suggest you get the SAMSUNG, I've tried the DoubleSight, and it doesn't even compare.

I have the SAMSUNG, and it is a dream. The 19200x1200 display shows great color and contrast (3000:1). I highly suggest you get the SAMSUNG, I've tried the DoubleSight, and it doesn't even compare.

Please elaborate

Yes Raez - please do elaborate.

What specifically are strong points of the Samsung over the DoubleSight?

Color quality - accuracy - is an important factor to me and s-pva is generaly considered better than tn in this regard.

That is the prime reason I'm considering the DoubleSight.

Plus - I've read elsewhere that s-pva has higher contrast than tn. Important for shadow detail in renders.

Also - when in a 4:3 display mode are pixel sizes 1:1 so the screen image isn't stretched?

bfx

Got a reply from DoubleSight customer service in less than 3 hours.

The DoubleSight DS-245W has 1:1 pixel mappping in widescreen node only.

It's been 4 days since I emailed Samsung the same question about the 245BW.

But that doesn't seem typical for Samsung; the people I know that have their monitors say the customer support is good.

bfx

bfx: I have the DS-245W. I'm not down with all the LCD lingo, but in 4:3 resolutions, you can set it to stretch to the full widescreen *OR* to add black bars to the side. It will always stretch to full vertical height of the display no matter what, but you can choose whether or not to fill the entire monitor horizontally.

The S-PVA is great in my opinion, but my standards are pretty low considering I've been using a laptop LCD for the past 5 years. There's a tiny bit of color shift if you're "panning" the monitor, but color uniformity is excellent from a normal seating position (I did all those tests on http://www.lagom.n/lcd-test/ ). Almost no flicker when using the DVI cable. I don't have the means to test color gamut, nor did I find a reasonable way to do color calibration (any suggestions?).

Lemme know if you have any other questions.

Just posting my opinion, I have the samsung and it's been great so far. No technical info here just opinion.

Thanks rice rocket and squares.

One minute I want the Samsung and next I want the DoubleSight.

I did track down someone in my area that has the Samsung and also uses my 3D app. Sometime in the next couple of weeks I'm going over to his place and check it out.

From what I've seen posted on the web the Samsung is arguably the best tn panel on the market - but it's still a tn with vestiges of the tn weaknesses.

I'll know more after I see one running my app.

bfx

i was gonna buy a monitor last may.

my wants were: respectable color accuracy & photo editing chops, i am an amateur photog @ www.simplyathos.com

24" so i can have lots of desktop real estate, 2 windows side by side, etc

solid response time for gaming, not a priority but need to be reliable.

good viewing angles.

last year i had options for non-TN panels that fit this criteria but i decided to hold off thinkin that i would get better options around xmas time. well, TN panels have taken over, my options have gone DOWN in a big way instead.

just like TN did with the smaller panels, it is now doing it with the larger panels such as 24" - taking over. maybe this is just temporary, but rather than risk it:

i ordered the doublesight with the samsung s-pva from newegg a few days ago. i cant spend more than 500 and this was the best option it seems. will arrive tomorrow. fyi this monitor is out of stock at most places, including newegg now.

i ordered the doublesight with the samsung s-pva from newegg a few days ago. i cant spend more than 500 and this was the best option it seems. will arrive tomorrow.

Let us know what you think! Plus you should take some pics of it, being a photographer and all :p

i will post my thoughts. il lbe usin it in about 10 days when i move to a new apartment.

to the OP. if you want the doublesight you better get it ASAP. it is pretty much out of stock everywhere you look, and i think it is discontinued.

Hope you enjoy the DoubleSight.

I've spent the last few days checking out all sorts of lcd's from TN's to H-IPS and decided none will work for me.

The Samsung 245bw was the best TN and 1 NEC and 2 EIZO were the best of the IPS panels. Did not find anyone locally that has the DoubleSight.

But even the best of the IPS shared a common problem - transitioms from brightly lit to sharp shadows caused a pink to red fringe when viewed at even a slight angle. Sitting in front of the panels and looking at either horizontal edge was enough of an angle change for the fringe to appear.

In most cases it isn't all that bad - it's there but I could live with it. Except I do a lot of renders that make use of natural light abberations - prismatic effects and so on. So I need a display that is accurate.

But there is a happy ending. On the way home from checking out the last monitor I stopped at a store that handles new and used office electronics to check the price on a new Samsung 245bw. Mentioned the whole ordeal I'd been through at which point the store owner goes into the back and wheels out one brand new p225fb and two 21" NEC monitors still in sealed boxes.

$830 bucks changed hands and I now have one new Samsung 245bw, one new p225fb crt, two new 21" NEC crt monitors, and an Ergotron desk mount arm to hold the Samsung.

The Samsung will be used for modeling, scene layout, surfacing and initial test renders while a crt will be used for final tweaks.

bfx

well just set up this puppy and first of all DAYUM 24" from a 21" crt is BIG!

i love it.

did some pixel peeping and found 1 stuck pixel in the lower left, stuck in green mode, no dead pixels.

tryin to read if u can get rid of stuck pixels but i cant notice it doing anything it is practically on my taskbar in the lower left so it is very out of the way. runnin something called jscreen now.

i will calibrate this with my spyder pro and take a look at some of my photography to see how it is vs my gf's 20" mac display (S-IPS)

but lacks look BLACK so far!

Fire up a movie or something. The DS-245W I have has pretty noticeable backlight leakage on all 4 corners. Not enough to make me return it though, since all LCDs have some sort of leakage.

will fire up a movie soon.

tested it playing cod4 last night for a couple of hours.

noticed no lag or ghosting. good stuff.

Just popping in to say that Samsung is working great for me.

The DoubleSight would probably work as well - maybe even better. Wish I could have checked one out.

I'll be keepong an eye on both companies to what their new models are like.

bfx

Back