Dou you prefer tool-less cases?

Do you prefer tool-less?

• Total voters

MoreDents

Limp Gawd
And what is your reasoning

For me, I love tool-less. Convenient, fast, and makes you more more likely to upgrade.

The only con I can see is that it's more likely for people to steal your parts but that's pretty unlikely to start with.

Last edited:
Personally, no. I'm always losing thumbscrews (either on my or customer's computers - luckily we have a lot of spares) and if I'm upgrading a computer, I strip it down to clean the dust from the crevices and clean up the wiring which I might as well spend the extra time manually fastening it in.

While toolless is a really nice little feature, it is very short lived. Unless you swap components a lot, it really would not be much a time-saver. It is more susceptible to breaking and is often no more "simple" than just doing a screw or two.

I would not base my case-buying decision on it; but I would take it as a nice little feature if it was toolless.

A lot of my experience with tool-less designs is from Dell's cases or something like that so I gotta say I am not a huge fan (rarely works out that well).

However the toolless 5.25" bay holders work very well.

I've never really been a fan of tool-less cases until I got the Lancool PC-K62. It's probably the best tool-less case I've ever seen and it works very well. Everything is very sturdy and easy to work with.

There are a lot of different 'tool-less' systems, and in my experience only a few of them work well enough to consider in a new case. In general I prefer non-tool-less (classic?) cases as they're a lot more straightforward and have fewer loose parts to lose (slide rails, other doo-dads).

I've never really been a fan of tool-less cases until I got the Lancool PC-K62. It's probably the best tool-less case I've ever seen and it works very well. Everything is very sturdy and easy to work with.
Word. Word
The LanCool is really badass. I'm deciding between that or a CoolerMaster Scout or Sniper...
Any help? :D

Tool-less = more flimsy and less rigid cases IMO. I hate that.

Check out the LanCool's metal latches

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2MdUGxWEcU&feature=video_response

I like a case to have enough room, cool well, not rattle and look good.
I'm not bothered how its screwed together.

I like a nice combination of both (expansion cards must be screwed down), but overall I prefer tool-less. I was very pleased with my LiFish for example.

I can't stand tool less cases... So much RnD, and money, goes into these features - and you always get a rattly, shakey setup.

Nothing matches a good screw. (hehe)

While theoretically sounding good time saving of tool-less case is so little unless you're changing hardware every day that it isn't worth of often lot flimsier component attaching and possible incompatibility problems in getting component attached.

I don't like tooless for a few reasons. I have a semi tooless case from thermaltake, which I removed a few items inside. It had an easy to remove dual side panel fan.. Gone! Same with the tooless back panel clips. Gone! Especially for dual slot video cards. I prefer screws as they are strong, secure, and there is no plastic to become brittle. Than what do you do when you still want to use that case and parts are not available!

Some parts yes, some parts no... like Tool-less PSU and PCI Brackets seem pointless... Tool-less CD-rom and HDD's are nice only if they're secure though. CD-Rom is a pain because you gotta line up the holes + screw in 2-4 per side (take off the other panel etc.) HDD's are similar...

My HAF922 was awesome in those respects, but I had to remove the tool-less piece of the ODD area because of my Fan Controller, luckily there were still holes up front for me to secure it.

Don't care either way. As long as it goes back together solid, it's all good.

Seems like most people dislike the tool-less for its "plastic flimsiness"

What if all tool-less cases had latches and locks made from solid metal (like LanCool), would you prefer tool-less over tool'ed?

the tool-less cases! they are killer! the most difficult pc's ive had to deal with are tool-less and at least 8/10 times i cut myself on a pc they are tool-less :(

I avoid tool less designs.

I have no interest in paying for something I have no need for and screws work just fine.

I do however buy my own screws in bulk. While Phillips are easier to work with then a flat head. I personally prefer Allen head cap screws since they stay put on the end of a driver far better.

Back