Dota 2 beta sign ups

Once the game launches, we should go to [H]ardGaming on the forum and start up a Dota 2 group and get all of you signed up for it.

Also, I'm sure the chat system will allow for private channels, and with that, we'll probably set up a [H]ard channel for those of us who play it to play together and join games together.

We do that on League of Legends already at the moment.

got to watch some in HD when I got home...game looks good, but I bet this is a ways away from lauching.

got to watch some in HD when I got home...game looks good, but I bet this is a ways away from lauching.

I won't lie, i'm a huge proponent of this game, I will be there at launch, and I will likely be playing it for a long time to come after launch, but yes, I do agree that it needs some work, it needs some polishing done to it, the animations look very fluid, but some of it looks a little wacky, and the damage seems a little bit on the low side, but that's ok since it promotes something a little more than just rush in, and kill everything.

It places a higher premium on actually using some thought to your approach to the enemy team, and you have to win the battle of positioning, same as you did in DotA.

That wasn't so emphasized in LoL because while yes, positioning is important, it's more of a game where whichever team happens to use Flash better is the one that usually wins, assuming both team compositions are relatively equal in strength.

The network/server coding could use a little work, I'm not sure exactly what went wrong during the matches, but there were a couple of drops and disconnects, since I have no knowledge of what went on there, I can't really speculate. But I expect that whatever is causing it will be fixed in the finished product, if games like TF2 and CS Source are any indication (granted, those run on dedicated servers).

I won't lie either, I am looking forward to it and will be there at launch.

Though you and I will disagree on that I play HoN and you play LoL right now.

Its a ways away from launching and needs polishing? I could have told you that before any screenshots were released. You know how?

it's an ALPHA, beta hasn't even started yet. :p

The schedule for the games being casted today is on the website and personally i'm most interested in the last match of the day which is M5 vs Na'Vi.

Unfortunately, the first game being casted is EHOME v TyLoo which promises to be another 90 minute ricefest with the "dire" team cheesing a few kong kills and winning the game on buy backs.

Tournament is currently running on Valve-time atm. Announce a 20 minute delay from 10am start, and now it's 10:35 hah

Yeah, I watched a few matches tonight, off to bed. BTW, they have replays available, you can get a good look at it.

One thing that stands out to me a little is how Dota 2 feels a little too . . . . . sterile?

Would you guys agree with that word?

Yeah, I watched a few matches tonight, off to bed. BTW, they have replays available, you can get a good look at it.

One thing that stands out to me a little is how Dota 2 feels a little too . . . . . sterile?

Would you guys agree with that word?

I was thinking boring lol

Will have to get my hands on it, I do like the thought of there being no flash.

some of the chinese farm fests are slow, but have you two watched any of the Na'Vi or M5 games?

Maybe it's just because I've always preferred dota over the alternatives, but I don't see how anyone could say this game is boring.

Some of the matches might be, but that's not the game's fault, as imo Na'Vi prooves it doesn't have to be.

I watched a few of the matches.... it just looks really boring and the color scheme is completely dulled out. You can't really tell an emphasis on the spells.

I've played Dota, HoN, and LoL. I think I'll stick with HoN... I know that the guys at S2 didn't think up Dota....but it looks like it should be left to them now. Dota 2 just looks like a bad version of HoN

I watched a few of the matches.... it just looks really boring and the color scheme is completely dulled out. You can't really tell an emphasis on the spells.

I've played Dota, HoN, and LoL. I think I'll stick with HoN... I know that the guys at S2 didn't think up Dota....but it looks like it should be left to them now. Dota 2 just looks like a bad version of HoN

funny I thought the exact same thing but about HoN and that Dota 2 was better.

agreed b14z3. HoN looks terrible to me, especially in team fights. Dota 2 looks clean and crisp and I find it relatively easy to see what's happening in the team fights.

to each his own I guess.

I'm still trying to decide which graphics style I like better - HoN or Dota 2. Decision will probably have to wait until I can actually play the game.

hon and dota2 graphics are both fine. but i sure wouldnt be playing hon anymore if i get invited to beta.

hopefully dota2 will have communities like tda where people get banned if they leave or grief. or i'll have to join a amatuer clan and scrim

Any news on the beta? they said it would start right after Gamescom.

No news that I know of.

Dota2 looks great, but I find that there's not enough color variations in spells. In HON I can tell exactly whats going on by the different effects of spells and the color palette. Then again I'm sure DOTA 2 will look great at lunch once they touch up everything.

No news that I know of.

Dota2 looks great, but I find that there's not enough color variations in spells. In HON I can tell exactly whats going on by the different effects of spells and the color palette. Then again I'm sure DOTA 2 will look great at lunch once they touch up everything.

oooh what are they serving for lunch?

:D

No news that I know of.

Huh?

You are probably the first that I have known that have the exact opposite opinion about the colors...

One main reason why I stop playing HoN is because the color issue, I can't tell who the heck is enemy and who is on my side. Every clan member in my DotA clan that play HoN have the same issue too...

DotA on the other hand, its so easy to tell.... DotA 2 also follow the same pattern with HP bar colors

Huh?

You are probably the first that I have known that have the exact opposite opinion about the colors...

One main reason why I stop playing HoN is because the color issue, I can't tell who the heck is enemy and who is on my side. Every clan member in my DotA clan that play HoN have the same issue too...

DotA on the other hand, its so easy to tell.... DotA 2 also follow the same pattern with HP bar colors

This seems hard to believe. HoN has pretty distinguishable graphics for skills to the point where you can tell what hero cast it, from memory, based on how it looks. How would you want your enemies more distinguished other than the minimap and the different mouse icon when you hover? Do you want them a dark shade of red or something?

The original DOTA didn't do anything of the sort to distinguish between friendly and enemy heroes, they assume you can keep track of which 5 heroes are your enemy (or use your minimap).

This seems hard to believe. HoN has pretty distinguishable graphics for skills to the point where you can tell what hero cast it, from memory, based on how it looks. How would you want your enemies more distinguished other than the minimap and the different mouse icon when you hover? Do you want them a dark shade of red or something?

The original DOTA didn't do anything of the sort to distinguish between friendly and enemy heroes, they assume you can keep track of which 5 heroes are your enemy (or use your minimap).

The color is a huge difference among each team..

In a huge fight with lots of creeps, DotA is way much easier to tell what is going on and who is in there than what HoN shows...

Maybe HoN changed now, I don't know since I only play in beta...

I always had a hard time distinguishing between friends and enemies in DotA, and instantly recognizing when abilities are being used. I don't have that problem at all in LoL and I consider myself a half decent LoL player (1450 elo atm, not great but not complete baddie). I've never played HoN but I believe I would have the same problems and I believe I'll have them in DotA2. Not sure why this is true, whether it's the colors or model/effect sizes or something else, but the difficulty is definitely there for me.

ive played hon ever since the beta, so bro stop trolling. because you are either colorblind/shapeblind or you are a troll.

Just because one disagree with you doesn't mean it allows you to insult ..;)

I don't plan on replying to your post, but you have gone over the edge now...

I always had a hard time distinguishing between friends and enemies in DotA, and instantly recognizing when abilities are being used. I don't have that problem at all in LoL and I consider myself a half decent LoL player (1450 elo atm, not great but not complete baddie). I've never played HoN but I believe I would have the same problems and I believe I'll have them in DotA2. Not sure why this is true, whether it's the colors or model/effect sizes or something else, but the difficulty is definitely there for me.

Unfortunately then you're playing LoL.

Huh?

I had this problem too which is why I don't play HoN.

I have played Dota for many years so I obviously know what is going on but my brother decided he would give it a try.... Oh my...

He is used to gaming (Halo, CoD, TF2, and others) but was so confused when he started playing. He was always getting ganked, didn't know his teammates from the enemy, and was at a complete loss as to what was going on in team fights. He is still at this stage but is slowly getting better. He has probably played close to 20-25 games.

I tried to start him as Sniper but he just couldn't play him (I didn't even know that wasn't possible.) Oddly enough, his best hero that he is decent with (Against AI) is Rhasta. Makes no sense...

Dota has a fairly steep learning curve. It often scares many new people away. New people typically have trouble with games that involve patience and waiting for the right moments.

Huh?

Myself and my friends that play Dota also had this issue with HoN and it's the only reason why we never switched over to hon. When dota 2 is available for play (beta or otherwise), we'll finally switch from dota to that.

]|[ Mar']['in ]|[;1037679176 said:
Myself and my friends that play Dota also had this issue with HoN and it's the only reason why we never switched over to hon. When dota 2 is available for play (beta or otherwise), we'll finally switch from dota to that.

From watching the videos I didn't see Dota 2 doing anything with regards to team coloring/graphics that was a big departure from HoN, so I don't see how this makes sense.

From watching the videos I didn't see Dota 2 doing anything with regards to team coloring/graphics that was a big departure from HoN, so I don't see how this makes sense.

Look more closely to the Replay in game, you can tell by looking their skin color, green and red, or HP bar which is the most obvious one..

Has there been any word on when the beta is coming out yet? Or is it out already and I missed it?

I also find the sound effects in HoN to be extremely useful in determining what's going on. That shattering glass sound on Tempest's stun, the scream of Defiler's wave of death, the "catch this!" of Pyros fireball. I found the sound effects to be virtually non-existent in DotA2. I hope this is something that will be polished up as the game gets closer to official release.

Back