Dota 2 Beta [H] Steam Group

I got my beta invite, and truthfully this is the very 1st DOTA game I've ever played. So far I'm having ALOT of fun but people where not joking when they said DOTA communities are "unfriendly", they're just outright offensive and rude most of the time. Also even though Valve said they would try to match players of the same skill level with each other, it doesn't work very well.

Trust me you dont know what unfriendly is until you played Heroes of Newerth

Steam id: IsaacMM if anyone feels like sending an invite, been playing DotA for a long time, hopefully DotA2 will be just as good.

if someone wants to ruin my life, please send a DotA beta key to SteamID:gwu168

I sent the survey for the beta about 4 days ago, just got an email from steam saying I got in. I can send out invites? how?

I never played the original dota, league of legends is the first game like this I've played, I've been enjoying that.

is Valve balancing this game via Imbalance, like LoL?

Can't stand the counter system for "balancing" a game. Nothing imo, could be further from balance.

Your entire team gets stomped by champion X. The reason? You didn't have champion Y!

It's weird. I cannot say why exactly.... I like Dota 2, but it seems to be missing something as compared to original WC3 Dota. This is not a slam, it IS fun... just.... I dunno, maybe it's the source engine?

I played some casual DOTA back in the day and a good bit of HoN, with some LoL. Unfortunately I don't have a DOTA2 beta key as of yet, so I can't play. It appears the giveaways are all just spam/crap, so I guess I'll just have to wait and hopefully play with you guys.

For those that are enjoying the beta, is it more like LoL or HoN? Personally, I think LoL's playstyle is a bit more permissive and easier to learn (ie. Towers don't destroy you as fast, no creep deny, items are easier to learn and less focused on a "perfect' item/spec for your character), but I like HoN more as a platform (Linux client, S2 Games, better integration etc... Only thing I don't like is the cost of skins and such!). I am hearing that DOTA2 is maintaining a competitive style without being so unforgiving in playstyle.

Of course, the worst thing of all MOBAs I've found is a community that is hands down the WORST of any genre, so anything to get a way from that and play with reasonable people is welcome.

It's weird. I cannot say why exactly.... I like Dota 2, but it seems to be missing something as compared to original WC3 Dota. This is not a slam, it IS fun... just.... I dunno, maybe it's the source engine?

Techies aren't in the game yet, duh :D

The spell effects are also quite tame and bland compared to HoN. It's better from a strategic and competitive point of view but isn't nearly as exciting.

I haven't been invited by any members yet (*hint* *hint*) but this doesn't surprise me given that Valve has a policy of aiming for the mainstream end-user. It's possible they will ramp up their graphics over time or someone will mod something into the game but I wouldn't count on spectacular, heavy hitting system requirements.

I've been enjoying the game

I have 64 wins and 73 losses, been winning a lot more lately though. I've gotten a lot better.

I've been enjoying the game

I have 64 wins and 73 losses, been winning a lot more lately though. I've gotten a lot better.

I'm getting my ass kicked. just glad I started playing league of legends so I have some clue to whats going on. I looked up builds/guides on http://www.dotafire.com/ but confused about the purchase order.

every game I've played has gone 45 minutes, are there shorter games like league of legends has where you capture points? I think its called domination.

I'm getting my ass kicked. just glad I started playing league of legends so I have some clue to whats going on. I looked up builds/guides on http://www.dotafire.com/ but confused about the purchase order.

every game I've played has gone 45 minutes, are there shorter games like league of legends has where you capture points? I think its called domination.

There aren't other maps yet but there are plans for release.

I thought the gameplay would be a little faster. Definitely an improvement over the original DotA on WC3.

I use dota fire every day when I play its very helpful to figure out builds and items. Yes every match i play is roughly 30mins to 60mins so you can image I prob have at least 68 hours in of play time with all my matches lol. General rule is get the starting items first such as Tango's (to heal yourself), maybe a healing pot or a couple mana pots depending on the type of class you are. If true support buy a courier. Then i'll ussually jump into building my Wand to heal myself and then Boots, but sometimes i get boots before a wand just depends on how the game is going.

My name is Syntaxx on dota 2 if anyone wants to link up.

anyone have a basic video guide on this game and playing it preferably comparing the differences from LoL? (not giving opinions from either, just portraying the gameplay changes)

I've jumped into HoN and DotA 2 before but the shopping (mainly) seems drastically more in-depth and complex than what LoL has to offer, maybe I just haven't spent enough time reading through it all

anyone have a basic video guide on this game and playing it preferably comparing the differences from LoL? (not giving opinions from either, just portraying the gameplay changes)

I've jumped into HoN and DotA 2 before but the shopping (mainly) seems drastically more in-depth and complex than what LoL has to offer, maybe I just haven't spent enough time reading through it all

I'm getting hung up on shopping as well coming from lol. I only played lol for a few days though. some items in the shop are highlighted as well, don't understand.

heard they were adding co op bot difficulty settings today.

got in a beta a week ago. played 3 games and went back to hon. the matchmaking doesnt work in dota2 atm and i dont enjoy stomping noobs.

got in a beta a week ago. played 3 games and went back to hon. the matchmaking doesnt work in dota2 atm and i dont enjoy stomping noobs.

know when they are adding matchmaking? it'd be nice if I could play against people as new as I am.

THIS. I have played a few rounds, but half of them I get paired with these extreme hardcore MOBA players that curse at me the whole time for what I'm doing wrong, but not offering any helpful advice. :rolleyes:

hmm... Played a bit, can't say I had much fun though. Putting this one aside, might try it again in a few Weeks...

I would definitely recommend readings guides and practicing vs bots before jumping in to matchmaking if you want a fighting chance at winning and learning.

Dota2 beta keys are everywhere now. If you are interested in Dota2, you should have gotten one long ago.

If you somehow still weren't able to manage one, let me know. I can give a few.

Only veteran [H]ers. No newcomers like me :p

Dota2 beta keys are everywhere now. If you are interested in Dota2, you should have gotten one long ago.

If you somehow still weren't able to manage one, let me know. I can give a few.

Only veteran [H]ers. No newcomers like me :p
Thank you!

Last edited:
Interested if you have one, CvP!

I only see them on boards where people are using them to get youtube hits (e.g., giving 10 keys away fro 10,000 subscribers or a few keys away for a thousand likes on FB) or people selling them for money.

I sent you a PM with my steam details.
Here is my steam profile if anyone else happens to be reading and can gift me a copy
http://steamcommunity.com/id/mobizzle

I'll edit this post when I receive one so if it's still here I'm still looking...thank you.

check inbox :)

Last edited:
Thanks again, CvP! You came through - if there is anything you're looking for in return just let me know. I have some Super Monday Night Combat keys to share for instance etc..

Someone messaged me on STEAM last night, my steam name is (a³+b³)=(a+b)(a²-ab+b²). I can't for the life of me remember your steam name sorry! Please message me if still interested.

Would appreciate an invite to the Steam group. Steam name: |RDA| TimTheEnchantor

If anyone has game invite, that'd be swell.

Last edited:
Back