DOT Proposes Mandating Cars Broadcast Location, Direction and Speed

The Federal government doesn't enforce traffic violations. This is 70 types of paranoid. There's lots of cool stuff that can be done with this technology.

While you are correct that there could be some cool things done with this technology, it also has the potential to be abused. Just like the internet :rolleyes:.. There is a trend happening here if you haven't noticed, lets sacrifice our ability to live our lives without the intervention of government to be safer. While you say the feds won't be involved, that doesn't mean the government won't be, whether it is at the state or federal level, they're all the same. At this point in time I am surprised more people aren't "paranoid".

The Federal government doesn't enforce traffic violations. This is 70 types of paranoid. There's lots of cool stuff that can be done with this technology.

Have you been living under a rock? A lot of '70's paranoia' actually became real life...:rolleyes:

Fuck. This.

I'm only driving older cars any way. Maybe in 20 I'll have to only use my bicycle.

Fuck. This.

I'm only driving older cars any way. Maybe in 20 I'll have to only use my bicycle.
Nearly any car (car manufacturers say upwards of 90%) made in the last 10 yr already has a black box. The manufacturers put them there because they wanted them in order to verify the cause of an accident to see if they'd have to do a recall or if it was the driver's fault.

Even most 80's cars have black boxes already. In the early 80's it was high end only (ie. Cadillac) that had it. By the late 80's something like 50%+ of cars had a black box built into them by default.

These aren't complex devices. They just do a rolling recording of a few things (ie. speed, seat belts on, turn signal activity, etc.) for a 10 min. period. They don't record video or audio.

As for what the article in the OP is talking about that is no big deal. Its just doing a short range vehicle to vehicle telemetry data stream for safety and/or automated driving purposes.

If you're worried about spying or privacy this isn't a issue. Your smartphone or search engine of choice (ie. Google or Bing) are far more worrisome and invasive than a car's blackbox or V2V transit data.

This like most other things will be made law and people will ho and hum about it but never actually fight against it, and it is just one more thing to add to the future of your Police state and in 20 years people will go "when did this all happen!"

This has nothing to even vaguely do with forming a police state.

You're thinking of the NSA and maybe Google's and others indexing/data farming.

This like most other things will be made law and people will ho and hum about it but never actually fight against it, and it is just one more thing to add to the future of your Police state and in 20 years people will go "when did this all happen!"

As others have noted I think this has more to do with self driving cars than some obscure police state policy concerning cars ... technology has moved extremely slowly because people keep wanting to hold on to legacy technologies ... as the famous Henry Ford quote goes, "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse" ... I think it should be easy enough to put privacy controls in place to prevent the data from being abused and the benefits of self driving cars outweigh any of the negatives by a significant margin :cool:

STFU all you whiney bitches and install a Faraday cage.

Jesus christ grow a f'g clue.

I would bet people would pick up the beacon in a grid of listening points around a city and defacto track you and monetize the info.

Nearly any car (car manufacturers say upwards of 90%) made in the last 10 yr already has a black box. The manufacturers put them there because they wanted them in order to verify the cause of an accident to see if they'd have to do a recall or if it was the driver's fault.

Even most 80's cars have black boxes already. In the early 80's it was high end only (ie. Cadillac) that had it. By the late 80's something like 50%+ of cars had a black box built into them by default.

The manufacturers may use it that way but the black boxes are a government mandate, so the government can watch the automaker's cars for patterns that indicate issues.

When my ancestors came over, they waited their turn, were screened for any diseases, and did not receive wica, food stamps, free health care, section 8 housing, etc. They either found a job or went hungry/homeless.

That's what's different today.

Cut off ALL the social programs for non-citizens and controlling the boarder wouldn't be as big of a problem.
The problem is that the Democratic Party quickly realized that, hey, you know what, if we have people dependent on us and take in all these illegals and give them handouts and make their children instant citizens and give them an EZ-Pass for becoming citizens themselves even if they are illegally trespassing right now, then those are all more people that will vote Democrat and keep you in power. After all, what do the politicians care, its not THEIR money, and Kim Jung already proved that it doesn't matter how poor your country is as long as you have political power.

The problem is that the Democratic Party quickly realized that, hey, you know what, if we have people dependent on us and take in all these illegals and give them handouts and make their children instant citizens and give them an EZ-Pass for becoming citizens themselves even if they are illegally trespassing right now, then those are all more people that will vote Democrat and keep you in power. After all, what do the politicians care, its not THEIR money, and Kim Jung already proved that it doesn't matter how poor your country is as long as you have political power.

I like how this talking point basically boils down to "The democrats don't deserve those votes because they bought them by helping those people" as if that will somehow convince these people to instead vote for the political party that actively works to screw them and their families.

As others have noted I think this has more to do with self driving cars than some obscure police state policy concerning cars ... technology has moved extremely slowly because people keep wanting to hold on to legacy technologies ... as the famous Henry Ford quote goes, "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse" ... I think it should be easy enough to put privacy controls in place to prevent the data from being abused and the benefits of self driving cars outweigh any of the negatives by a significant margin :cool:

I would agree with this for the most part. The only reason I don't like it is because of the government's reputation for doing things "for the benefit of mankind" and later on abusing the technology for their own gains. There is a ton of great technology out there that I'd love to see implemented. It's just hard to trust it in the hands of the US government at this time. I'd love to see things done "for the benefit of mankind" and not exploited for whatever they want to do with it. Legal, of course, for your protection.... Privacy controls? Those haven't been bypassed by any government agency ever (sarcasm).

In a time when the government doesn't want you to have encrypted communication or any secrets, it's difficult to agree to a tracking device on your vehicle, no matter how limited the range is...

They broke that trust, and they really don't care. I'd love to have a really kick ass technology filled future. But, the politicians screwed that up. Apparently, you can't have that future without being tracked, monitored, and probed... I'm sure there is a way to make it happen, but we need to limit what the government can and cannot do, rather than give them more and more power out of fear of "terrorists" or whatever...

I'm going to go with the devil you know. Much of this information is/can be already collected. I'd rather know they are doing it than wonder.

But regardless of my opinion, standing in front of this technology train is not going to end well. Rather than the knee-jerk "Stay out of my business!", we should probably just go with "Go ahead, but it's not going to tell you anything I don't want you to know."

New cars suck and I wouldn't buy one anyway.

This is the insurance industry's lobby at work, so that when you crash they can say, "you were travelling at 36mph, the posted speed was 35mph, so you are not covered".

They'll just keep ratcheting up the emission standards to 'push' you out of the old one anyway.
It'll be done under the guise of it being a gross polluter or some other nonsense.
You'll then be forced to buy a new car.

The Irish were also looked down upon, only a step above blacks in the US when they came over after the potato famine. My point clearly still stands. I'm just calling out the hypocrisy of saying something so horrible about "illegal immigrants," as you call them. Do you think these people are any different than your grandfather? Stop kidding yourself. We like to through around terms like "native sons," when really, virtually none of us have any more "right" to be here, and most of us were discriminated in the past in just the same way as your statements. Regardless of anything else, proposing to brutally murder people on a forum is inappropriate, period, but especially people who would be considered refugees under their circumstances any where else in the world, except for the racism thing. /rant done/

Refugees? Where the fuck you live?

I live less then 30 miles from the border and I'll tell you these are not refugees. They are people who have been encouraged to come here while our government restricts the border patrol's activities so that they just let them come in and instead of sending them back they just "register them" so they are no longer truly "undocumented", it's like a faux Visa, a pass, a Welcome to the US of A, please follow the Green Line to the Bus Terminal. As for the areas between the check points, they used to be heavily patrolled, they still are, but now they only look for illegals crossing to make sure they aren't being killed by the Coyotes after delivering the drugs they brought across.

Refugees my ass.

By Ur_Mom;
In a time when the government doesn't want you to have encrypted communication or any secrets, it's difficult to agree to a tracking device on your vehicle, no matter how limited the range is...

Where did you see something like this Ur_mom, I ask cause I haven't seen anything like this at all, unless you are talking about limitations on Military Grade Encryption?

The manufacturers may use it that way but the black boxes are a government mandate, so the government can watch the automaker's cars for patterns that indicate issues.
The govt. can't watch anything though. The black boxes aren't accessible without lifting the hood on the car and hooking up a reader to the ECU. They'd just track your smartphone if they wanted data on you anyways.

The mandate was lobbied for by the law enforcement, insurance, and car companies BTW.

I like how this talking point basically boils down to "The democrats don't deserve those votes because they bought them by helping those people" as if that will somehow convince these people to instead vote for the political party that actively works to screw them and their families.

So lets not screw the people who are here illegally, but lets screw those who are here legally in order to support those people who are here illegally. Makes sense, thanks for clearing that up :).

Because the odds of an accident and likelyhood of death skyrocket after 55?

That being said, most of NY is still at 55, and traffic blows by cops doing 75 all the time here on LI. As long as you can drive in a straight line, the cops really don't care.

According to the studies which push that death rates increase...

Rates of accidents increases a little more than 3% going from 55 to 75.

According to the studies which push that death rates increase...

Rates of accidents increases a little more than 3% going from 55 to 75.
Depends upon who's study you want to believe.

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/rpt/2013-R-0074.htm
Numerous studies of the relationship between increased speed limits and accident rates have been conducted since 1987, when states were allowed to increase maximum speed limits from 55 miles per hour (mph) to 65 mph. According to the NCHRP, the studies did not identify a clear relationship.

Consequently, NCHRP conducted its own study to help guide state highway officials and policy makers in setting speed limits. It examined these earlier studies, surveyed state transportation and police departments, and collected and analyzed relevant data.

The NCHRP study found that higher speed limits were associated with an increased likelihood of deaths and incapacitating injuries. It found that increasing a speed limit from 55 to 65 mph on an "average" section of high speed road resulted in about a 3% increase in the total number of crashes and a 24% increase in the likelihood that a vehicle occupant would be fatally injured. This increased crash rate would yield a 28% increase in the number of fatalities following the speed limit increase.

The study also found a similar, but lesser, impact when speed limits were raised from 65 to 75 mph. In those cases, the total number of crashes increased by 0.64%, increasing the probability of a fatality by 12%, with an overall increase of 13% in total fatalities. Although the analysis did not explain why a smaller increase occurred at the higher speeds, the study suggested that people may drive more cautiously when driving faster, or that roads deemed appropriate for a 75 mph limit are safer.

Love it. Legalize pot in every staye and we can fire all the cops. Money saved. Oh, wait sb has to shoot people.

Back