DOS help peeez

So i want to play an old DOS game, Quarantine, on my XP machine. Is this possible? My main problem is that when i boot to dos i cannot get to my C: drive b/c im guessing it just doesn't recognize it and that makes sense but this also means that it won't recognize my keyboard and mouse either, right?

So, yeah I boot into dos and im in the A: (because i booted from a floopy, ya know) drive and cannot switch drives, what do i do? What would make DOS recognize my drives, oh yeah, ill need my cd-drive running to install the game. HDD is master on primary IDE and cd-drive is master on secondary IDE. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Man, I love Quarentine. Good 'ole days.

It sounds like you're using NTFS (hence why you won't be able to access your C drive), instead of FAT32... I wouldn't change it if I were you.

Anyways to make things short and simple, even if everything was right for Quarentine to run, it'd prolly run way too fast. Quarentine was made for a 486. So in the end, use this:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

It's a 486/DOS emulator for Windows. I've been meaning to try this out with Quarentine myself actually but never got around to it.

Thanks, ill try it out. I actually just read about the problem of speediness in old games just after my post but ill try thr link :)

Hey lemme know how Quarantine runs with that. I wish I had time to try it out myself :(

edit: I so love that game :) Something about that cyber-punk atmosphere and running people over in a taxi cab armed with rocket launchers and razor-blades.

OT: Speaking of DOS games, I just replayed one of my favorites, Duke Nukem 3D, it was a blast. Rancidmeat.com has a Win32 engine compiled to run Duke on XP, complete with network support. Apparently 3D Realms has made the original source code public so that it could be compiled and modded by the community. Pretty cool.

Originally posted by agent420
OT: Speaking of DOS games, I just replayed one of my favorites, Duke Nukem 3D, it was a blast. Rancidmeat.com has a Win32 engine compiled to run Duke on XP, complete with network support. Apparently 3D Realms has made the original source code public so that it could be compiled and modded by the community. Pretty cool.

Wow, awesome. It'd be cool if there was an OpenGL port too, like with Doom.

edit: nm, I did a search for "glduke" and came up with this http://pages.infinit.net/glduke/screenshots/index.html

i got the program and ran the game and it gave me an error which meant (according to the website) that i'll have to wait for a later version which will be able to emulate the game, some "CPU opcode" error. I'll be waiting :)

got it working!! thanks for that last post :) that was what really pointed me into the right direction, had to get a new dos4gw file, a newer version. but omg i haven't got the red card thing that lists the driver weights or whatever, now im pissed, i know that i don't have that anymore. i move constantly and leave stuff behind (sometimes on purpose too actually :) I need that badly now!

Originally posted by Seraphim974
got it working!! thanks for that last post :) that was what really pointed me into the right direction, had to get a new dos4gw file, a newer version. but omg i haven't got the red card thing that lists the driver weights or whatever, now im pissed, i know that i don't have that anymore. i move constantly and leave stuff behind (sometimes on purpose too actually :) I need that badly now!

haha, I remember that dark reddish key-card. I photocopied it one time years ago as a 'backup' but it came out so horrible :( I'm sure u can find a crack somewhere.

hmm, found a crack, got in, and now when i maximize DOSbox everything looks like multicolored candy. Well, i suppose the game wasn't THAT good :)

where did you find a copy of dos4gw? i'm trying to run whiplash in dosbox and i think the problem i'm having might be solved with a newer version.

hmm, found a crack, got in, and now when i maximize DOSbox everything looks like multicolored candy. Well, i suppose the game wasn't THAT good :)

But it runs fine windowed?

Actually no, it will go through Gametek with (popping) sound, then, Imagexel, then Quarantine, then shows a yellowed image of the view out the right side window of the cab and freezes... :confused:

Back