DOS and BF2

n00btard

Gawd
We all know that Battlefield 2 is a major memory hog, and so is Windows XP... so is it possible to exit to DOS and start the game via command prompt? Or is the most I can do is simply closing all background apps and closing explorer.exe?

bf2 wont run on dos. end of story there :( but yea turning off a service or two, closing out stuff in the sys tray, ending background processes and the usual suspects

Not only that, but the dos kernel was abandoned in the first release of windows 98. :/

You can't exit to DOS in XP, cause there is no DOS in XP (or recent NT-based systems). Just shut down program that take CPU/memory, shut down some services, and you can play. There are plenty of BF2 guides for optimizing your Windows build for it, so just google it and follow the results.

Niloc said:
You can replace the explorer.exe shell with another. GameOS looks interesting...

http://www.voodoofiles.com/3435

Don't forget the VB6 DLL's!

I woudn't recommend downloading this shell replacement. It is for
Windows 9x only. Windows XP is the only Windows OS that should be used now for gaming period.

I think we need a little more information about your computer specs to help you fine tune it. If you want to post them I can give you some advice on how to get BF2 running. In general a a 2.5+ghz processor, a 6600 Gt, and 1gb will get you good fps @ medium 1024x768 no AA. If you want to run High and higher AA 2gb ram and at least a 6800 GS is required.

Jeff

GameOS works fine in XP.

From the readme:
For Win2k/XP, run gameos and select "set Explorer as default shell" option.
I'm using it right now. It seems like it's just what the OP wanted.

im planning on using this gameos dealie for my desert gaming pc....seems useful it should work on a amd k6/2 500mhz about 256mb ram, and a 16mb voodoo banshee right?

Back