Doppler Labs is Suing Bose for Allegedly Stealing its Sound Technology

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Doppler Labs is suing Bose for tricking it into revealing their patented technology during investment meetings. During the three meetings with Doppler Labs, Bose executives got the startup to divulge how their augmented sound technology worked. Then Bose allegedly incorporated this technology into their own headphones without an agreement with Doppler Labs.

The headphones are like hearing aids, but for example they can alter the sound level of your friend sitting close to you in a noisy bar. They can boost his particular voice so that you can hear him over everyone else. The next step is to take the technology and incorporate a computer with it to create augmented reality within a game world or movie that you're watching in VR.

Doppler Labs doesn't want to make their own hardware long term. They want to sell their product license to other companies. So in the end they may end up selling Bose a license to use their technology as they are in talks with other headphone manufacturers. Doppler Labs had a Kickstarter campaign and was backed by one of the Bose executives who was able to receive one of the first devices that was created.

Like the Here One — and their predecessor, the non-music-playing Here Active Listening — the Hearphones allow you to amplify, reduce, and generally warp real-world sounds. If you were in a noisy bar, for instance, you could use them to raise the volume of nearby friends’ voices.

Both devices are similar to hearing aids, but more customizable and streamlined through a companion app. However, this kind of augmented audio tech is seen by some as paving the way for headphones that serve as in-ear computers as much as simple audio products. These could ostensibly work in tandem with the kind of augmented reality headsets being pursued by Microsoft, Magic Leap, and other tech firms. Apple CEO Tim Cook has expressed his interest in AR on multiple occasions as well. Point being, it is a market where various headphones companies are expected to play in the coming years.

Bose doing something crappy like this? I mean it's not like they would

1) Sell uber cheap parts products at hugely over inflated prices
2) Over charge the government for substandard noise cancellation tech

Color me surprised.

Next thing you know you'll claim monster is an unethical company.

I have no love for Bose, but if you are stupid enough to hand over your secrets like this, how is it Bose's fault?

I have no love for Bose, but if you are stupid enough to hand over your secrets like this, how is it Bose's fault?
If you are stupid enough to leave your car in the mall parking lot with the keys in the ignition, how is it the fault of the thief who steals your car?

Theft is theft. Doppler clearly had very bad judgment going into the meeting, but that doesn't mean Bose had no choice but to use their IP without paying.

If it's patented, than it's already out in the wild, that was the intent of the patent system. You divulge your new tech with a description and diagrams of how it works (so that others can reproduce / innovate on it) and in exchange you are granted exclusive rights to that tech for X years.

I'm assuming BOSE will end up with a licensing deal.

Yikes, bose. I thought their paper coned joke of a speaker system and laughable "receivers" went away. Haven't seen a demo unit in years at a magnolia or reputable audio reseller. Must be on the main floor for all the chumps that don't realize they could step onto magnolia and spend the same for 50x the product...

If it's patented, than it's already out in the wild, that was the intent of the patent system. You divulge your new tech with a description and diagrams of how it works (so that others can reproduce / innovate on it) and in exchange you are granted exclusive rights to that tech for X years.

I'm assuming BOSE will end up with a licensing deal.

When you file a patent it's not granted immediately, it can take years.

http://patents.justia.com/assignee/doppler-labs-inc

Looks like several were just granted recently, but were filed back in 2015 and 2016. Bose may have been hoping the patent filing would fall through. Now that it hasn't they have some teeth to seek damages or force a licensing deal.

Yikes, bose. I thought their paper coned joke of a speaker system and laughable "receivers" went away. Haven't seen a demo unit in years at a magnolia or reputable audio reseller. Must be on the main floor for all the chumps that don't realize they could step onto magnolia and spend the same for 50x the product...
Paper cones are fine, if not ideal for most applications. The issue I have with Bose (other than their obvious insane markup prices) is them using the same design, calling it something different and then charging more. Their products are fine but there isn't a difference between a $200 Bose speaker and a 10 year old $50 speaker.

I have no particular love of BOSE but the lawsuit probably won't go anywhere, first BOSE already had a product that did 90% of what their product did and it has been on the market for years the only innovation the other guys did was make it configurable through a phone app through the introduction of a simple sound board. Second the basis of their complaint is over a trademarked name "hear buds" because they say the name "ear buds" is too similar, but that is what that speaker format is called and has been called for a long time. Lastly there were a number of 3'rd parties who looked over their tech and determined that there was nothing there worth buying and most of it probably infringes on or is close enough to any number of existing patents what would have ended up in a costly legal battle for whom ever purchased them.

Back