Doomsday Torpedo Detailed in Pentagon Document

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by Megalith, Jan 21, 2018.

1. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

All of which is mostly irrelevant.

The amount of energy liberated in a 100 megaton subsurface detonation would send an immense cloud of radioactive debris into the Stratosphere, The cobalt 60 would vaporize and go right along with it. while you are correct in that immediate detonation site effects would not be as severe as people probably imagine due to most of the energy liberated going into the creation of a new, self illuminated artificial harbor, the long term effects over the rest of the planet and downwind of the detonation would be catastrophic.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  2. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

I wish we could just get along with them and have fun playing video games together. Instead of having to waste all our time and efforts on this absurdity.

Like, what do the Russians even want?

3. Old_Way

Old_Way Gawd

Russia is all about state security because Russia is one of the least defensible countries on the planet. It's huge in area and the population centers are easy to march into... like most all the rest of the European plain.

If you have some time (an hour), this is a really interesting look at the world... including Russia (starts about 3:30 into the presentation after the intro's):

4. Rahh

Rahh [H]ard|Gawd

You make it sound like we get along with ourselves and play video games. Have you been in an online video game recently? lol!

5. Khahhblaab

Khahhblaab Limp Gawd

They were so close together because it 'was' a test to see if the navy could keep navy'n after a nuclear bomb blast. Ships sunk, some remained afloat. They were all contaminated. Its kinda why the Airforce were the first to disburse them. (DKS is correct), first nuclear disaster.

6. BloodyIron

BloodyIron 2[H]4U

Yes, I run tournaments and gaming events...

People getting upset in video games is far better than people shooting each other in person.

7. CaptNumbNutz

CaptNumbNutz Bulls[H]it Master

8. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Probably to be left alone and make some money?

9. sfsuphysics

sfsuphysics I don't get it

Someone's ability to make a neat looking youtube video doesn't exactly give them credibility. Case in point around the 1:45 mark where he says the half-life of uranium is about 2000 years he kind of lost me.... then confirmed it later by mentioning 225 waves flooding San Francisco.

jaffy likes this.
  10. lilbabycat

lilbabycat 2[H]4U

What about the "also the possibility of the whole planet fracturing apart into little pieces" at the end?

11. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

whoever came up with this video evidently works for the weekly world news as his day job.

12. sfsuphysics

Oh did it say that? I didn't happen to get that far into the video.

13. Bootleg Usher

Bootleg Usher Gawd

The saddest part about nuclear weapons is how permanent the damage is to the planet in comparison to how minor humanities day-to-day dispute are. For example, WWI started after Archduke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated. Does anyone give a shit about that today? No. Would the planet still be screwed if we had a huge nuclear war back in 1914? You bet.

14. Khahhblaab

Khahhblaab Limp Gawd

me tinks you posted in the wrong topic:confused:

15. Johnx64

Johnx64 My poof SuX

Until someone makes a fake 911 call and you get killed by the cops over a dumbass game that you won't even care about when the next must play game comes out.

16. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Well we arent using breeder reactors...so fail.

17. THRESHIN

THRESHIN 2[H]4U

Not yet we aren't. We're so frightened of radiation that research can't get funding. We seem quite happy to build more weapons though. More of a humanity fail.

18. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

Whenever someone at work goes on about how radiation is so dangerous I ask them if they ever go out in the sun. Or use a cell phone. Or a microwave...or anything electronic ;)

I like to set them off ;)

19. Etherton

Etherton Will Bang for Poof

Saw this and watched it last night on Netflix. Really interesting documentary. Thanks!

20. sfsuphysics

Yeah but what research is needed? Seriously the amount of self serving spanking for breeder reactors by pro-nuclear people (here and elsewhere) you'd think it was basically already done you just need to sprinkle some uranium into the reactor and bammo clean, cheap, power.

21. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

I guess sometimes I forget most people don't know this. It actually really irritates me when I see movies misuse military terms like this as I used to work on nuclear weapons in the AF.

22. deaedius

deaedius Gawd

Reminds me of this!

lilbabycat likes this.
  23. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

Many of the nations in Europe where WW1 battles were fought still maintain military bomb disposal units whose express task is to remove, defuse and destroy munitions found by farmers in their fields or contractors during construction digging left over from former wars. Some of these are not small explosives. Same with WW2, Korea, Vietnam. Every conflict leaves a lethal residue. In many parts of the world that residue is land mines. People still die. The land is still not habitable. We are still screwed.

24. DKS

DKS Limp Gawd

True. The warhead was thrown a hundred feet and the internal safety mechanisms stopped it from being more than a lump of metal. The explosion was the missile propellants themselves, I believe.

25. VoloxitySF

VoloxitySF Gawd

I watched this last night after reading this thread. A very well made documentary indeed. Would watch again.

26. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Whats that got to do with anything? Yes i know those are types of radiation, but its a nonsense argument.

27. Draax

Draax [H]ardness Supreme

100 knots? Possibly one of those supercavitation torpedos.

28. Dekoth-E-

Dekoth-E- [H]ardness Supreme

Right and a big thing people don't understand is that these weapons absolutely cannot go nuclear by accident. The firing sequence has to be extremely precise and that just isn't going to happen. Sure it will create a mess if it gets destroyed, but not nearly as big of one as certain groups would have you believe.

29. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

The only research needed at this point is related to disposal of waste products. When everyone is shouting NIMBY, the best storage and disposal plans are useless. We have been trying to get Yucca flats going for years with little luck. we are storing all this crap "on site" for lack of places to put it,

Technically the heat from a campfire is "radiation" people don't know the difference between Ionizing radiation and every other source of radiant energy in the universe. people look at you like you're crazy when you tell them they have more exposure to dangerous radiation from living in a brick house than the cumulative exposure from every nuclear reactor ever constructed. (unless you live in close to Chernobyl or Fukashima. oops.)

30. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

I hope this doesn't go off by mistake that could be a mess like the Forrestal aircraft carrier during Vietnam using munition bombs from WWII went off by mistake I work with a guy who was there and just got lucky.

31. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

I wouldnt say that land is still not habitable. Just that its dangerous to live on. People ARE in fact living on it.

It has everything to do with it when the person says "radiation is bad and we must eliminate it as much as we can". As motomonkey said the conversation typically goes that nuclear plants (outside of catastrophic failures - which are EXTREMELY rare and almost impossible in modern reactors) emit less radiation than you get from taking an airline flight or inside your home.

32. Uvaman2

Uvaman2 2[H]4U

Any of the currently deployed reactors are the most stupid way you can make nuclear energy.
    Period. Moronic pressure cooker design.
    The original sin happened decades ago though, still, yet another moronic choice by humans.

https://thebreakthrough.org/index.php/programs/energy-and-climate/the-passion-of-alvin-weinberg

We should have gone with molten salt reactors. It they would be much safer, and yes radioactive materials are dangerous.

33. Lizard Testes

Lizard Testes Gawd

Oh yeah? What's the half life of granite?

34. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

Remember one of those just in the past year - https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/huge-unexploded-ww2-bomb-discovered-9954065

35. c3k

c3k 2[H]4U

http://hps.org/documents/Radiation_granite_countertops.pdf

https://www.epa.gov/radiation/granite-countertops-and-radiation

https://www.quora.com/Granite-is-radioactive-How-dangerous-is-that

Most of the radiation in granite (which is a broad descriptor of a lot of varieties and each has differences in which elements it contains) is from U238.

U238 has a half-life of about 4.5 Billion years.

That which burns bright, burns fast.

36. sfsuphysics

Not if you listen to the guy in the bomb video, uranium's half life is only 2000 years! Which probably is some quick calculation of 1/3rd the age of the Universe... i.e. 6000 years :D And said 4.5B is about 1/3rd the age of the Universe he must be right!

37. odditory

odditory [H]ardness Supreme

Trump doesn't have his finger on any reset button because no one - certainly not military commanders - would carry out any order he shouted other than a cheeseburger.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  38. kju1

kju1 2[H]4U

And its on the internet so it must be true! Also I am a french model.

Clearly you dont understand how the military works. Also I would probably keep politics out of it before you raise Kyles ire....

39. WorldExclusive

WorldExclusive [H]ardForum Junkie

Describes what is on the 100 Dollar Bill.

40. motomonkey

motomonkey [H]ard|Gawd

Care to bet your life on that? I spent enough time in the Military, and that's not how it works.

kju1 likes this.