Doom3 not all that good...

Thunder888

Limp Gawd
Don't get me wrong - the game is good. I was just expecting more, considering all the hype and the fact that I played Far Cry just before Doom 3. Far cry redefined the concept of visuals for gaming (for me, at least).

The one redeeming thing about D3 is the fact that it scares the shit out of you! :D

Tha last game that freaked me out that much was Aliens V Predator, especially when playing the marine.

But otherwise, the gameplay is the same as D1 and D2. You know, monster closets, lights failing, etc. I understand ID wanted to stay true to the genre, but merely padding the old with better looking GFX and sound? WTF?

Would it have really hurt that much to include maybe some new weapons, or better level design?

The game is good, but gets very repetitive quite early on. Enter room, lights out + freaky sound fx, shit yourself, kill monsters, pause game to change pants, carry on. And on, and on.

Maybe I'm wrong. I was expecting more. Where the fukc is HL2??

Anybody feel the same?

>Anybody feel the same?

"One week ago" called, it wants its doom3-bashing back.

Yes, Doom 3 is a sucky game. It's been discussed to death already.

i just made it past hell, and am thoroughly enjoying it.

never been this immersed in a game before, feel bad y ou guys cant say the same.

Thunder888 said:
Anybody feel the same?

Yeah, go back 3 weeks in time and you'll see 5,000 threads with people that "feel the same." But you'll also find 50,000 threads with people that enjoy it.

So...

whocares.jpg

^^^^^^^ Agreed.

Maybe I just didnt expect the world to change when the game came out. It certainly has high production value, great graphics, and like you said some of the best atmosphere around. I just don't get it. Dunno... I'd think most everybody would at least enjoy it even if it isn't the best game ever made in several categories. I'd say more but yeah that was weeks ago. I could save myself the time by copy and pasting.

most people who i talked to who hated it........

.......played like 3 levels and called it quits.

Oh well, too bad for them!

versello said:
Yeah, go back 3 weeks in time and you'll see 5,000 threads with people that "feel the same." But you'll also find 50,000 threads with people that enjoy it.

So...

whocares.jpg

Word.

I love it. There are always people who don't like it. But there are MORE people who love it. It balances out. ;)

I don't really get it. some ppl say it wasn't like doom 1 & 2 enough. Others say it was just like them.

Anyway, it's a very enjoyable game, but starting YET ANOTHER thread just to say "i don't like it"... is kinda sad.

Fine, but what would u feel if I started a thread bashing Farcry all the way till exaustion? I might just do that, cuz i've played the damn game and found it annoying, not amusing, not funny, no nothing. Just a graphics engine in a box.
I'm sure there's a lot of people that don't feel this way about doom3 or farcry, so come on, to each his own, and forget about "i don't know how u can like that game, i think it sucks!". :rolleyes:

D3 is fun, id rather play D3 than far cry which is boring to me.. so everyone likes different things, who gives a shit what other people like.. I know I like D3 and that's all I care about :p

If this guy made a thread about Daikatana claiming it to be a good game you would all tell him that he must be crazy and the game sucks... I bet this thread would be at least 2 pages long now with long well written parts and other shorter messeages like "OMG you are nutz".

Myself I havent played Doom 3 yet because it doesnt look like Doom 1 and 2. The moment I read that note from the developer a couple of years ago that their intention was to make a game that would scare the shit out of the player I understood Doom 3 was not going to be anything like the original - which wasnt really a pure horror game. But an action game -dare I say a "shoot em up"- in 3d.

I don't know. I liked both Doom 3 and Far Cry. They are both very different games. My only complaint about doom 3 was the basic lack of interaction with most objects. Guess i got spoiled by far cry.

peltman78 said:
I don't know. I liked both Doom 3 and Far Cry. They are both very different games. My only complaint about doom 3 was the basic lack of interaction with most objects. Guess i got spoiled by far cry.

HEAR!!! HEAR!!! I feel the same here....I *hoped* D3 was going to have more things you could toss/shoot/move around...like in Far Cry you can move barrels around to smash enemies, or just to rag doll the dead bodies around....one of the best things I did for D3 was to use the Ungibbed mod...at least you can tell where you have already been now by the bodies laying there, not to mention I like to slap them around a bit with the RL :p

here's a thought, maybe doom 3 got all super hyped up because the last few engines id has put out have become the norm for most games until the next id engine. so, the hype wasn't over the game so much as another generation of high level engines finally making their way out.

Personally I enjoy reading the remarks about doom3 more than playing it.

I havn't played Doom3 yet and im still wondering if i should even shell out $50 for it....I have heard its just not innovative or new about it...after playing FarCry its too me doom3 doesn't appeal to me....another problem with doom3 is that it has NO MULTIPLAYER that is a HUGE mistake by Id. Replayability is very scarce. Still waiting for Half-life2 till then...i got Farcry :cool:

mikey601587 said:
I havn't played Doom3 yet and im still wondering if i should even shell out $50 for it....I have heard its just not innovative or new about it...after playing FarCry its too me doom3 doesn't appeal to me....another problem with doom3 is that it has NO MULTIPLAYER that is a HUGE mistake by Id. Replayability is very scarce. Still waiting for Half-life2 till then...i got Farcry :cool:

lol taking other peoples' opinions on a game.

wow,

Well it has no Multiplayer soo its not worth 50 bucks ...kinda sad nowadays a standalone game isn't enough anymore need... but thats my .2 :D When ID releases the official demo for doom 3 then i will decide if i should buy it or not....till then ID isnt even going to sniff my 50 bucks! :p

Yeah but check this....last night in Doom 3 I decided my best bet with these two particular guards was to run up to the first one and jump and shoot point blank with the shotgun at him, and when I connected with the shot, a white skull just popped outta the guys head as he died. It was kinda fast, but very cool.

DOOM3 Ownz....those who disagree suck!

take it for wat its worth...it didnt try to reinvent first person shooters, wat it did was retell a classic story, scare the crap out of me several times, and give me 20+ hours of non-stop action packed fun

i am about an hour into hell (keep in mind i play slow, explore, read everything, and so forth) and im completely enjoying it

some will complain that enemies are stupid, SO WHAT...they are zombies and hellspawn, they shouldnt know anything about tactics to fight a well trained, heavily armed marine...they attack like an ant colony and try to overwhelm with numbers/force

some will call doom 3 a step back in game evolution EHH WRONG....this game, to me anyway pushes the limits of immersion and atmosphere...maybe now games will try to bring ur emotions into the mix instead of omfg i totally just shot that guy in the head and the ragdoll physics made him fall down the hill PWND

doom 3 graphics crush/kill/destroy everything ive played including far cry...yes far cry was a good game, a great game even, im just saying that doom 3 is just as good if not better as an overall single player experience

just because it wasnt the be all end all of gaming doesnt mean its not a great game worthy of being purchased and played

congratulations id im loving every second of it

I just don't find "Its too dark" or "Its the same game as D1 with better graohics" valid complaints. THAT'S THE WAY THE GAME WAS SUPPOSDED TO BE. THAT'S THE WAY THEY SAID THE GAME WAS GOING TO BE. If you complain about those things, and many other things I've seen, you didn't even know what the fuck the game was going to be when you bought it.

I was just expecting more, considering all the hype and the fact that I played Far Cry just before Doom 3.
This is the problem you run into when a game has 4 years in the making and the hype that will follow. Especially when it associates a name such as Doom with it.
Far Cry had some level of hype before the game came out, but nothing like the level that Doom had.
They're two different games really and I enjoy them both for what they are and what they intended to accomplish. As far as replayability, I imagine the mod community will be coming forth with a few things. ;)

mikey601587 said:
Well it has no Multiplayer soo its not worth 50 bucks ...kinda sad nowadays a standalone game isn't enough anymore need... but thats my .2 When ID releases the official demo for doom 3 then i will decide if i should buy it or not....till then ID isnt even going to sniff my 50 bucks!

You say the lack of multiplayer is the one thing keeping you back? By all means, go forth and buy the game, cause the multiplayer is right there! And it's not "limited" to 4 players as they say, there's already servers for 32 players. I know, i've played on one.
And the mods... they're more than many, and coming out real fast.
What's not to like?...

Kinda awkward when ppl compare 2 games they haven't played... based on other's opinions... or none at all.

Well, here's my 2 cents, for all it's worth anyway.

I enjoyed the game. It is, by far, the best looking AND best sounding game I've ever played. I can't, for the life of me, understand how anybody can say this isn't the current reigning graphics champ. I like Far Cry too, and I believe the gameplay was superior to Doom 3, but no way in hell does it look better.

The enemies in far cry just looked like souped up Quake hostiles. The monsters in Doom 3 are an entirely new level.

Back