Doom3 character texture resolution

-freon-

Limp Gawd
Is it just me, or does anyone else also feel ID really slacked off with the character textures in this game?
The environment looks great, the walls and such are covered with great looking, sharp, high res textures.. The models? They look like crap IMO. ie: the clothing on the people.

I've thought about this and I sort of agree with you. Some of the character models look very plain, but they do have nice facial animations. The bad guys look pretty good though. I thought the little guide bot at the very begining was really cool..

-freon- said:
Is it just me, or does anyone else also feel ID really slacked off with the character textures in this game?
The environment looks great, the walls and such are covered with great looking, sharp, high res textures.. The models? They look like crap IMO. ie: the clothing on the people.

Walls don't really move and the characters do. So thus if your getting 40-50 fps now imagine if they upped the detail on the characters. They probably originally did have the models looking better and notiched that it ran like crap so they lowered the detail so more people can play it at a "resonable" speed.

I think the characters are one of the best rendered things in this game. Their clothing are a bit bland because all of the people are scientists, workers, and soldiers.

I'm sure if they have had all the time in the world, and were not getting tired of doing nothing but Doom3 for the last 4 years, i'm sure they could have continued to improved the game. But there is only a finite amount of time and finite amount of things they can do within that time. 'Slacking off'? I think a better phrase would be their priorities were different.

What is surprising is that the engine and all its effects look just great but the only problem spot is the textures and the polygon count of the environment. Too bad that is the stuff you notice 70% of the time. I am sure some games will come out on this engine and have not only the great engine but also high resolution textures.

i think its more about performance if anything ... id like to see some poeple running the game on ultra high detail with no compressed texutures , to give us an opinion . but if u look at the monster like that big dog thing , it looks pretty nice.

Back