Doom’s Box Art Is Terrible

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There seems to be a unanimous hatred toward the cover art for the Doom reboot. I have not been following the game’s development and am surprised at how the main character is a Master Chief reject.

That art is painfully boring and dull. You have a generic-looking robot soldier in front of what appears to be fire. It looks like something you'd find in the portfolio of a talented artist who was trying to show they could do a particular style without trying to use the imagery of any specific game. It's lifeless and dull.

Who the hell really cares. I do not buy a game for the pretty box art since I do not buy PC games in stores anymore.

While I don't like to think ANY artistic decision is objectively good or bad... I completely agree with you on this one, especially considering DOOM and its ports have had some of the most awesome, metal cover-art designs EVER.

latest

194669-doom-playstation-front-cover.jpg

doom_ii_box_art__high_resolution__by_llortor-d6bpuj4.png

latest

Doom3_roebox.jpg

The main MC's armor looks screams Samus to me. Put a gun arm on that and you could easily convince me it was a Metroid reboot.

It looks almost exaclty like every other turd console box. That's a shame. Think of CoD, Gears of War, Battlefield. just a guy on the front by himself holding a rifle.

Yeah remember the days when you bought a game and it came in a lovely made black cardboard box with a slip case etc.?

Well that was 20 years ago. Artwork today? Who cares? If you spent more than a day on it you spent too long.

While I don't like to think ANY artistic decision is objectively good or bad... I completely agree with you on this one, especially considering DOOM and its ports have had some of the most awesome, metal cover-art designs EVER.

latest

I have a wall poster of this, which came with the original boxed game.
I never could figure out who the second marine was in the background, it doesn't look like a possessed marine.

There seems to be a unanimous hatred toward the cover art for the Doom reboot. I have not been following the game’s development and am surprised at how the main character is a Master Chief reject.

That art is painfully boring and dull. You have a generic-looking robot soldier in front of what appears to be fire. It looks like something you'd find in the portfolio of a talented artist who was trying to show they could do a particular style without trying to use the imagery of any specific game. It's lifeless and dull.

While I agree it's boring I would point out that the halo armor is inspired by the doom marine in the first place ;)

I have a wall poster of this, which came with the original boxed game.
I never could figure out who the second marine was in the background, it doesn't look like a possessed marine.

What-- I didn't get a poster. Then again, I ordered mine by mail straight from ID. Doom came on 4 or 5 3.5" floppy discs.

Who even ever sees boxes anymore? Almost everyone I know buys games digitally. This is just a slow news cycle needing something to talk about.

The box art is a bit bland, but I am having a hard time caring. As long as the game is any good, and stays more or less true to the first two, I will happily buy it. I pray it's not a repeat of, the lights go out, imp jumps out of closet you just passed, that D3 was. Not a massive complaint really, but it did get repetitive. The duct tape flashlight mod to fix D3 came out almost immediately anyway.

I would thinks less than 1% of people complaining are even going to buy it let alone purchase a physical copy.

This is the same sort of thing you see all over this game, it's going to suck hard.

Who cares about the box. ID, please do not screw this game up. I have high hopes for this game but I am a bit worried with what I have seen so far. I like the fast paced action shooter side as it appears to be going back to how Doom started, but I do not like what appears to be quicktime melee elements combined with super soldier elements that almost seem to be fantasy like. To be honest, I would really like to see them go back to the original 2 Dooms and remaster them in this new engine at some point.

they do use the Box art for the icons in your games list,
origin-games.jpg

they do use the Box art for the icons in your games list,
origin-games.jpg

Funnily most of those are standing dude with title overlaid on top.

They played it safe and followed the trends. Like Bioshock Infinite. But frankly, bitching about box art is close to the silliest thing there is. Except of course when the art is stolen, or semi-stolen. Like the Wii release of Okami. It had some IGN watermarks on it. Fun times.

Box art? Maybe console gamers give a shit, but I sure don't. I have not bought a PC game in a box since about Doom 3, or maybe it was Quake Wars.

If the biggest gripe is the box art that will be a complete and total win for Bethesda. I'm worried that the first Doom game without any of the original id crew will be a disappointment in far more important ways. Time will tell.

Keeping with the "head down, eyes up" theme of popular shooters for n-years.

as a pc gamer, i don't care. i get most of my stuff digital.

Doom3 was lifeless and dull, couldn't play it more than 5 minutes and then never touched it again. I doubt this rehash is any better.

I don't understand why anyone would complain over the box art, especially this. ???

He's missing a superman cape attached to the armor.

I don't understand why anyone would complain over the box art, especially this. ???
It's out of character. The main character was always lightly armored at best. It gives the impression that a demon's hellfire is going to hurt like hell no matter what, and the armor was mostly there to help him reduce toxic splash and explosions from the environment. Which means the art designers probably have no idea what playing original doom felt like, so it sets fans expectations pretty low.

It's a box.

I'm going to play the game, not the box.

I get my games digitally now so who cares what the box looks like.

Doom3 was lifeless and dull, couldn't play it more than 5 minutes and then never touched it again. I doubt this rehash is any better.

i've tried so many times to play through doom 3 again and I just can't I get maybe a level or 3 in and just stop. It is pretty boring.

3061475025_97113a779f_z.jpg

This is one of my favorite comic book covers people say he's Sh$5in' bricks on the cover Cable is.
But it still looks good.

Back