Doom run on AMD HD7700 ?

Wolve

Limp Gawd
I know the rest of my PC can handle the upcoming doom but my video card is a couple of years old.. I cant recall how many gigs it has.. but is it possible to run doom with my HD7700? I don't play on ultra high or anything, as long as it don't look crappy

• You might be able to cutting it really close =)
    Even though that Card can't be that old since I used to have a 670 GTX a year and a half ago.

MINIMUM:
    • Processor:Intel Core i5-2400/AMD FX-8320 or better
    • Memory:8 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GTX 670 2GB/AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB or better
    • Storage:55 GB available space
    • Additional Notes:Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap

• RECOMMENDED:
    • Processor:Intel Core i7-3770/AMD FX-8350 or better
    • Memory:8 GB RAM
    • Graphics:NVIDIA GTX 970 4GB/AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB or better
    • Storage:55 GB available space
    • Additional Notes:Requires Steam activation and broadband internet connection for Multiplayer and SnapMap

Probably not....

A 7790 is approximately equivalent to my old 6950.

I just don't see that working out....

depends how minimum the "minimum" is. I've run games below min before just fine, but no way to tell til it comes out.

depends how minimum the "minimum" is. I've run games below min before just fine, but no way to tell til it comes out.

This right here. Few games just outright refuse to run on hardware that doesn't meet the "minimum" spec anymore. Some will warn the user that the hardware may not be up to it, but I can't remember any that just wouldn't even try.

At any rate, if I were OK with setting all the settings to the minimum, I'd try to play the game with what I had, and worry about upgrading if that didn't work. As I recall, DOOM is supposed to be a competitive multiplayer game, though, so there's probably a competitive advantage to upgrading anyway.

I've done this on my Surface Pro 2. It takes Civilization 5 like a man if you turn off all the eye candy, even though I think it's not technically within the spec.

I know the game isn't out yet but I was wondering if my Celeron 300@450 with 128mb PC100 RAM and Diamond Viper V770 32mb TNT 2 Ultra would play Doom?

Many games now will not even install if you do not meet the requirements...
Can you cite an example? I can't think of any examples in recent memory, and I feel like I've played about 1/2 to 2/3 of the AAA titles that got released in the last 10 years or so.

is it a 7750 or 7790 or what? That does matter quite a bit. From how it ran in beta I think you should be fine with a 7790, a 7750 would be pushing it though.

Can you cite an example? I can't think of any examples in recent memory, and I feel like I've played about 1/2 to 2/3 of the AAA titles that got released in the last 10 years or so.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/925724 Flight Simulator X
"If the computer does not meet the minimum system requirements, you will receive an error message that states that your hardware is not supported or is incompatible. To resolve this problem, upgrade the hardware components on the computer."

Old I know, but I remember troubleshooting for someone else who had this issue. Just an example of a game that will actually NOT install without meeting the requirements.

Also happens with other Windows games and apps

System Requirements for Windows Store Games | Xbox Games on Windows

After all this time, I still find it funny when people ask if their old shit will run new shit. :D

You'll probably be able to snag a good deal on some Nvidia 970s amd 980 Tis there soon...

Most likely not going to work out well for you. Even if you put the display to 720p resolution. It looks like a 7870 is around 50% faster than the 7790. Even if the GPU is fast enough, there is a good chance your card is only 1GB of vram and not 2GB, which would kill any chances of it running.

I'll add to this though, if you're looking to snag a cheap replacement, be careful. Since we've stalled out at 28nm for a long time, a lot of the rebranded cards are NOT much faster than the 7870 is. I cruised through the specs and it appears that you're going to have to get a x70 card or higher to have equal performance. So if you find an R7 270 or R7 370, those cards are equal or faster than the 7870. The 260 and 360 models are not.

Last edited:
I know the game isn't out yet but I was wondering if my Celeron 300@450 with 128mb PC100 RAM and Diamond Viper V770 32mb TNT 2 Ultra would play Doom?

Hey, that was a kick-ass box back in the day. I used to rule with this setup.

Abit BH6
Celeron 300@450
128mb Micron PC100
Creative TNT2 Ultra 32mb
Creative Voodoo2 12mb SLI
Creative SBLive

It's funny. I also have that old 7700 card (I got it from someone in these forums last year for less that $10). It doesn't even meet the minimum requirements of Dark Souls 3, and I am almost done with the game. I'm happy with how it runs after turning the settings down. But, the new doom says it requires 2GB of video memory, but the 7700 only has 1GB, so I doubt it will run that game.

o.png
Go away spambot

Back