Doom III: Project Mars City (Comments Thread)

Grinder66

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 24, 2003
Messages
262
theelviscerator said:
exc looking work..finished product will make women faint and men drool I am sure...


drool.gif
 

Hard_Rocker

2[H]4U
Joined
Jun 27, 2000
Messages
3,629
if it were 27 years ago you, my good sir, could work for this guy called Lucas building model Star Detroyers. That window frame is INCREDIBLE.
 

lithium726

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
8,195
Hard_Rocker said:
if it were 27 years ago you, my good sir, could work for this guy called Lucas building model Star Detroyers. That window frame is INCREDIBLE.

so true, and such an obscure reference :p
 
Joined
Jan 26, 2004
Messages
959
CrimsonSky said:
The Last Step "Super Decal" kit arrived so I made the airlock decal in photoshop. After a print out on the Epson I coated the paper with a protective spray included in the kit. In about an hour I'll cut them out and see what we got.


Better to find out now.....
 

Luck.exe

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 2, 2004
Messages
129
Lol, way to point that out. Man you could make all kinds of cool stuff. You should make a mech case (that would be my dream case) with all kinds of BattleTech stuff! This case looks superb though!
 

siege

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 28, 2004
Messages
305
wtf, Crim....I hate you :)

naw I don't, but I do envy your skill.

say, if an untalented person like myself wanted to try his hand at airbrushing, where would be a good place to get some good starting info and some cheap equipment? just curious...

and is that all airbrushing or do you mix handpainting and airbrushing to get that specialness?
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
siege said:
where would be a good place to get some good starting info and some cheap equipment? just curious...

and is that all airbrushing or do you mix handpainting and airbrushing to get that specialness?


yeah airbrushing models like this requires finishing touches by hand. There are tons of places online that have tips and techniques for airbrushing models and doing artwork as well. My airbrush is a Passche VL dual action, nothing special, middle of the road model. There are some that costs hundreds of dollars, and are suited to art on canvass.

The most complicated techniques with airbrushing involve intricate "masks" and templates made from thin, clear vinyl called friskette paper. that's how airbrush artists achieve clean, crisp lines in their work. The most I will do for this mod is use thin strips of masking tape when painting the panels.

do a google for airbrush brands like Testors, Badger and Passche.
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
603
This isn't the best idea for a case mod in the world, but the quiality of work is simply stunning. Some things are overdone already, but whatever suits you. And I'm still wondering how you do the panels; it seems that you make a mold first, and then cast it out of... bondo?!

Well, it's way better than those HL2 mods either way :). A bit overdone to suit my tastes, but I'm sure there are others; yourself included who loves gaudy things. And my personal favorite is the Orac³ project, if somebody wants to know. Not that anyone cares.... :eek:
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
Darth_Fluffy said:
This isn't the best idea for a case mod in the world, but the quiality of work is simply stunning. Some things are overdone already, but whatever suits you. And I'm still wondering how you do the panels; it seems that you make a mold first, and then cast it out of... bondo?!

Well, it's way better than those HL2 mods either way :). A bit overdone to suit my tastes, but I'm sure there are others; yourself included who loves gaudy things. And my personal favorite is the Orac³ project, if somebody wants to know. Not that anyone cares.... :eek:

Wow...I absolutely hate vulgar, tasteless things---I have no idea where you picked that up from--yikes. As far as how I made the panels and the detail, its all in this worklog ;)
 

LordPhobos

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 31, 2001
Messages
228
Darth_Fluffy said:
This isn't the best idea for a case mod in the world, but the quiality of work is simply stunning. Some things are overdone already, but whatever suits you. And I'm still wondering how you do the panels; it seems that you make a mold first, and then cast it out of... bondo?!

Well, it's way better than those HL2 mods either way :). A bit overdone to suit my tastes, but I'm sure there are others; yourself included who loves gaudy things. And my personal favorite is the Orac³ project, if somebody wants to know. Not that anyone cares.... :eek:

I think some people just like to be the one that goes against the grain. ;)

While I agree that a Doom3 case mod isn't a completely original idea (in the sense that it was not an original concept, but instead based on a kickass game), the quality of the work that is being done here far outweighs any possible negatives that there might be.

This is top quality work you're showcasing here Crimson. You are truely an artist of the highest degree. Much respect...
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
603
LordPhobos said:
I think some people just like to be the one that goes against the grain. ;)

While I agree that a Doom3 case mod isn't a completely original idea (in the sense that it was not an original concept, but instead based on a kickass game), the quality of the work that is being done here far outweighs any possible negatives that there might be.

This is top quality work you're showcasing here Crimson. You are truely an artist of the highest degree. Much respect...
I never said otherwise, but you have to remember that too good is bad. That's why simple things often prevail.
 

PsycoGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 25, 2000
Messages
1,226
LordPhobos said:
I think some people just like to be the one that goes against the grain. ;)

While I agree that a Doom3 case mod isn't a completely original idea (in the sense that it was not an original concept, but instead based on a kickass game), the quality of the work that is being done here far outweighs any possible negatives that there might be.

This is top quality work you're showcasing here Crimson. You are truely an artist of the highest degree. Much respect...

If it's the same Darth Fluffy from [OSF], he's a twink anyhow...

Great work on the case, and finally a good use for bondo. Hey, maby I can get that Lamborghini from eBay for $2500 and you can patch up the body for me, eh?
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
Darth_Fluffy said:
I never said otherwise, but you have to remember that too good is bad. That's why simple things often prevail.

It's all good...I appreciate people taking the time to follow along and comment whether or not this kind of project is their cup of tea or not--"Too good is bad" I've never heard of--it's just a different approach I take with modding, this one just happens to be highly detailed--and it's where I get the most enjoyment in what i do-- :D

Simple things prevail?..Orac3 was an intense labor of love on the part of the modder--and anything but simple. Make up your mind. :p
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
603
PsycoGeek said:
If it's the same Darth Fluffy from [OSF], he's a twink anyhow...

Great work on the case, and finally a good use for bondo. Hey, maby I can get that Lamborghini from eBay for $2500 and you can patch up the body for me, eh?
Nope, I ripped the name off some guy on bnet forums. The mods find it more approperiate than Klown_Porn. :D
You could figure out who I really am... this is an alias.

Yes, Orac³ is just everything converted to one theme.
 

emorphien

2[H]4U
Joined
Nov 15, 2003
Messages
2,834
CrimsonSky said:
Simple things prevail?..Orac3 was an intense labor of love on the part of the modder--and anything but simple. Make up your mind. :p
And pretty ugly/uninteresting IMO. Your mod is different in that it takes case building to an art form simply for the amount of creativity you can put in to simple design details. I'm not sure what to call Orac.
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
603
emorphien said:
And pretty ugly/uninteresting IMO. Your mod is different in that it takes case building to an art form simply for the amount of creativity you can put in to simple design details. I'm not sure what to call Orac.
We don't argue about tastes, now do we?

.....
But on the bright side, there aren't any crowbars attached to your case :D :D

That HL2 mod started out nice, but turned awry near completion. Think of good and bad as two sides of the same coin, and you can walk over the edge ;)

And you can think of the level of detail as.. lemme think of an analogy... erm. A novel. If the author makes it too descriptive, it becomes boring. In your case COULD be overwhelming. You don't want to shift the attention from the case itself on the little robot arms sticking out of it ;)
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
As this project is an interpretation of the highly detailed, graphicaly rich environment that is Doom3, it's hard to say whether it's becoming too descriptive. If i had wanted a simple, understated case mod based on the game I could have done so as well---but it's just not where this is going--I'ts just all out fun for me at this point to make it hyper-real. ;)
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
603
CrimsonSky said:
As this project is an interpretation of the highly detailed, graphicaly rich environment that is Doom3, it's hard to say whether it's becoming too descriptive. If i had wanted a simple, understated case mod based on the game I could have done so as well---but it's just not where this is going--I'ts just all out fun for me at this point to make it hyper-real. ;)
Can I expect flashlights sticking out of it too?? ;)
 

omegatotal

Gawd
Joined
Mar 15, 2002
Messages
672
Darth_Fluffy said:
Nope, I ripped the name off some guy on bnet forums. The mods find it more approperiate than Klown_Porn. :D
You could figure out who I really am... this is an alias.

Yes, Orac³ is just everything converted to one theme.

*couf1gh*... hehe :confused:

never seen anything look as good as this mod, it's just sweeeeeet! :D
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
Darth_Fluffy said:
Can I expect flashlights sticking out of it too?? ;)

Yup--if I choose to add that, sure..Send me a photo of yourself and I'll sculpt a little puppet that comes out of a monster's ass too!..damn that would be sweet. And I could do it too-- ;)

See now that would be interpretive---what you suggested with the flashlight is literal--any other theme related suggestions that are a bit more creative? Some of the ideas so far in the thread are pretty damn good.
 

ghetto+

n00b
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
12
CrimsonSky said:
Yup--if I choose to add that, sure..Send me a photo of yourself and I'll sculpt a little puppet that comes out of a monster's ass too!..damn that would be sweet.And I could do it too--

*finger slap*
ow3nd

lets cut all this bullshit tho and stick to the topic please :D
 

dargon

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 21, 2004
Messages
475
I agree. Just because you don't lik a mod, think it's overdone, etc, doesn't mean you have to come into the thread and crap all over it.
 

Thermite Paste

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Dec 17, 2003
Messages
5,651
not much of an idea, but i think you should run a few pipes literally through the window, like drill a few holes, then run them back up on the other side. it would decrease the sense of a huge square hole in this masterpiece ;) also, maybe you could put a few decals sticking out over the window.
 

DRJ1014

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 11, 2003
Messages
5,742
this needs to be a sticky because this is some awsome work and how much people love mod and if somone disses modding we can point them here to look at this work.
 
Joined
Aug 15, 2004
Messages
603
CrimsonSky said:
Yup--if I choose to add that, sure..Send me a photo of yourself and I'll sculpt a little puppet that comes out of a monster's ass too!..damn that would be sweet. And I could do it too-- ;)

See now that would be interpretive---what you suggested with the flashlight is literal--any other theme related suggestions that are a bit more creative? Some of the ideas so far in the thread are pretty damn good.
It was just linear thinking on my part. That guy had crowbars in his HL2 case, so you must have some flashlights. ;) ;) :D
 

EvilSmiley

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Oct 18, 2001
Messages
1,059
Crimson, were you raised by witches? Near power lines? anything? this is just too amazing to come from a mere mortal..

Outstanding work, brotha.. keep it up
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
Darth_Fluffy said:
It was just linear thinking on my part. That guy had crowbars in his HL2 case, so you must have some flashlights. ;) ;) :D

My buddy Chris from www.customwatercuts.com is gonna work his magic with alum and make a couple 120mm fan grills. I'm thinking a chainsaw fangrill and a pentagram fan grill...just simple line art cut in metal.
 

JoeKewl

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 18, 2001
Messages
133
CrimsonSky said:
any other theme related suggestions that are a bit more creative?

Funny, I seem to remember at the end of the first Doom game, once the picture scrolled sideways, there was a little Fluffy creature impaled nicely on a stick...
 

CrimsonSky

Gawd
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Messages
711
UT-Jackal said:
how much does a custom fan grill from that place cost aproximatly?


Not sure--I guess its priced according to complexity--but he does great cad work from original art.
 
Joined
Apr 9, 2003
Messages
888
i like starting my day seeing the latest doom III mars city updates. awesome work, pwns all other projects out now.
 

Warden

Gawd
Joined
Oct 24, 2000
Messages
667
I'm no expert on case mods and I'm generally not into them the way some folks are but this is an absolute masterpiece of artwork! I don't think I've ever seen a mod as creative and labor intensive as this one.

If I send you my case will you make one for me :D

Warden
 

Nasty_Savage

Fully [H]
Joined
Mar 19, 2001
Messages
26,546
Definite Wowsers go out to you Crimson. I've been semi following when the front page reminds me, but when you get a chance, if you can post an overall update of the case (how its progressing in total, as opposed to the intricate details you are providing) I just wanted to see more of where you are heading and your mindset as to how you are breaking it down. I find that as interesting as the finished product and the attention to details.

Cheers to you. Excellent work...I only wish I had the energy, time and patience you have! :)
 
Top