DOOM for potato heads still crunching z80s

That was the most confusing thread title I've read, outside of an Azureth thread in GenMay. :p

Anyway, that's pretty cool! The most I've done with potatoes (besides read a bunch of their posts on social media) was one of those potato-powered clocks back in the late 80s.

I feel like it shouldn't be classified as doom unless you can actually reproduce one of the original levels from doom (with at least some textures).

ti84 doom is less graphically and geometrically complex then wolfenstein 3d.

Low budget gaming to the extreme!

Now that's fuckin [H]ard.

He doesnt know how to read amperage from a potato because he doesnt know how current and voltage are different and he doesnt know how to use a multimeter.

I was done watching at that point.

He doesnt know how to read amperage from a potato because he doesnt know how current and voltage are different and he doesnt know how to use a multimeter.

I was done watching at that point.
..and yet he still managed to get Doom to run off of Poh-Tay-Toes ..imagine that!

471be70a2b64ade4f5d0ecc4cb657635.jpg

This one is just slightly better than the home pregnancy test strip one. So he made a battery, poorly, out of potatoes.

Something like this lemon battery is a MUCH better setup and actually would give him the power to run his pi.

When ever trying to build something massive it is always a good idea to spend an extra day or two trying to come up with an actual design for how to save time later. had he had strips like this he could have just stuck the potatoes onto them must faster.

This person made a potato battery that got 5v at 200 mA. Instead of whole potatoes they mashed them and put them between plates to get more surface area and thus better output.

So there are multiple ways out there to get the little bit of power needed for that pi to do what he was trying to do.

Reactions: Halon
like this
It is nice to see people learning and experimenting. I remember doing these kinds of experiments in school as a kid, was really interesting and probably what helped guide my career path.

Did not know pregnancy test had OLED screens......
God, I feel sorry for all the poor starving Irish kids dying because this guy decide to waste all these potatoes.

Last edited:
That was the most confusing thread title I've read, outside of an Azureth thread in GenMay. :p

Anyway, that's pretty cool! The most I've done with potatoes (besides read a bunch of their posts on social media) was one of those potato-powered clocks back in the late 80s.

I don't like it.

The whole point of getting doom to run on various things is porting the code. zDoom on a calculator, isn't doom. It's a TI game meant to sorta, kinda, look like doom. Doom is not running on a TI calculator.

Back