Doom Eternal RTX greyed out on laptop RTX 3060

zalazin

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone know what is going on here ? My Tiger lake w rtx 3060 laptop won't do rtx in doom eternal; The option is greyed out. Is the laptop 3060 a full card or was some hardware left out? So far it is only laptops having this issue.. I hope it's fixable. I have uninstalled clean installed nothing helps....

Don’t mean to be a troll, but are you sure it’s a 3060 and not a 1660?

I know it’s a dumb question like tech support “is the computer turned on?” But had to ask lol

Looks like this is a common issue with RTX 3060 laptops. Some say it has to do with the iGPU. Maybe try updating the Intel display driver?

It's because your laptop has hybrid graphics. Laptops with multiple GPUs have always had problems with vendor specific features working properly. It can be three different issues, either individually or in conjunction that can cause issues. The first being the hardware implementation of how the multiple GPUs are arranged, the next being drivers and the last being the application itself. Even though laptops with hybrid graphics have been a thing for well over a decade, they're still not very common configurations and don't have great support.

In this case, I think it's Doom Eternal that is the culprit here. It probably sees your Iris Xe as the primary GPU. I'm not sure how your specific laptop works, but in more modern hybrid GPU laptops, there's usually a way to tell the laptop to always use the discrete GPU over the integrated IGP on the CPU. In the past, this was usually done in the power options where you'd select performance for graphics, which would kick the display over to the dedicated GPU. More modern drivers may have a way to do this in the driver settings page though. I don't have any RTX cards, so I can't help you there.

Does anyone know what is going on here ? My Tiger lake w rtx 3060 laptop won't do rtx in doom eternal; The option is greyed out. Is the laptop 3060 a full card or was some hardware left out? So far it is only laptops having this issue.. I hope it's fixable. I have uninstalled clean installed nothing helps....
yes it has all the latest drivers intel , Nvidia etc.....

It's because your laptop has hybrid graphics. Laptops with multiple GPUs have always had problems with vendor specific features working properly. It can be three different issues, either individually or in conjunction that can cause issues. The first being the hardware implementation of how the multiple GPUs are arranged, the next being drivers and the last being the application itself. Even though laptops with hybrid graphics have been a thing for well over a decade, they're still not very common configurations and don't have great support.

In this case, I think it's Doom Eternal that is the culprit here. It probably sees your Iris Xe as the primary GPU. I'm not sure how your specific laptop works, but in more modern hybrid GPU laptops, there's usually a way to tell the laptop to always use the discrete GPU over the integrated IGP on the CPU. In the past, this was usually done in the power options where you'd select performance for graphics, which would kick the display over to the dedicated GPU. More modern drivers may have a way to do this in the driver settings page though. I don't have any RTX cards, so I can't help you there.

I tried all that pointing the game to the 3060 and so forth. Its not that the card is not being used. Afterburner shows that the card is being used. Only the RTX is not being utilized....

I also own a G14 and on that updating the adrenaline drivers allowed the RTX in that machine to work ... so it has to be something maybe in the intel chipset drivers.
Looks like this is a common issue with RTX 3060 laptops. Some say it has to do with the iGPU. Maybe try updating the Intel display driver?
intel drivers are current

Some one please explain why ASUS, HP, LENOVO and all the other think we want a gaming laptop with switchable graphics? ITS A GAMING MACHINE@!! There would be no dual graphics issues like this one

Well I just turned off GPU Hardware acceleration and of course it made no difference... This is really ticking me off. I kind of think this is Bethesda's problem because I don't have this problem in any other game...and we know how well Bethesda doesn't do things.....

Just installed beta Intel drivers dated 1 july 2021 no change......

Some one please explain why ASUS, HP, LENOVO and all the other think we want a gaming laptop with switchable graphics? ITS A GAMING MACHINE@!! There would be no dual graphics issues like this one
To meet their low power standards and extend battery life. The iGPU idles at close to 0W and only uses <5W when doing normal desktop stuff. Under load it uses <=15W. The RTX 3060 uses 80W or more under load.

You missed the whole point gaming machines are usually plugged in. WTF deal with switching graphics issues. I would much rather never have the hassle....I could care less about battery life in a gaming laptop....

In fact the whole concept of low power graphics in a gaming machine is totally asinine...

Most people who own a "gaming" laptop also use it for normal laptop stuff too, including using it unplugged.

If best possible performance and compatibility are absolutely needed, many gaming laptops offer a "discrete graphics only" mode that can be set either in BIOS or within Windows using a utility from the manufacturer.

I have never seen settings in bios to set graphics mode and I have several laptops purchased over the years and as far as windows controlling the switching good luck with that, Its up to the individual but when his e switchable graphics don't switch I guarantee you will hear a string of nasty words. The name of the game in a gaming machine is PERFORMANCE. If you can afford a gaming machine than then you can just buy a second cheap integrated graphics machine for other things.....

Well just tried a hotfix that just came out from Nvidia did not fix the problem got to be in the game itself... Bethesda needs to get off its butt and fix the problem.. and we know how good their not.....

In fact the whole concept of low power graphics in a gaming machine is totally asinine...
Unless you want a portable device that doesn't have to be plugged in all the time - hence the purpose of a laptop.

Not to mention all consoles have essentially been designed around what type of a power envelope they can cool indefinitely at load, without needing to be the size of a full mid or full tower pc.

In the graphics market, power is king, from servers, to home pc's, to cellphones. If you can deliver the same performance at less power, then you're going to have an advantage in virtually every meaningful metric.

Getting back to laptops, the new generation of Nvidia 3xxx series mobile cards is more reliant on power than ever before. Depending on the tdp that the oem is enabling to be shared between the cpu and gpu, you could have a 3080 performing worse than a 3060. While it makes comparing models to anyone that isn't an enthusiast almost impossible, at least they are providing the information short of robbing customers.

I'm in the same boat, RTX 3060 and greyed out RT in setAMD or intel CPU both are having the same issue, its an rtx 3060 laptop problem, either on nvidia's side or id Software not sure. I hope it gets to their ears I they something about it. Was really planning a playthrough with RT and DLSS on...make it work!!

I have never seen settings in bios to set graphics mode and I have several laptops purchased over the years and as far as windows controlling the switching good luck with that, Its up to the individual but when his e switchable graphics don't switch I guarantee you will hear a string of nasty words. The name of the game in a gaming machine is PERFORMANCE. If you can afford a gaming machine than then you can just buy a second cheap integrated graphics machine for other things.....
My Lenovo laptop from a couple years ago with a 2060 has the option.

Well good for you, I own three Asus Gaming laptops, two HP 2 in ones, an Acer and a Lenovo 2in one, and a Gigabyte Aorus gaming machine, none of which have that option. Seems funny that only your lenovo has such an option...

That brings up a logical question in taco brain. Why stick a 3080 in a machine not capable of achieving greatness of said gpu?
Efficiency. You can get 3060 level performance out of a 3080 at a lower voltage than you could out of a 3060, which means less power consumption and heat.

Also, there are games that require a fast graphics card, but can tolerate a relatively weak CPU. Something like an 11500F and a mobile 3080 probably isn't a bad combination.

Well good for you, I own three Asus Gaming laptops, two HP 2 in ones, an Acer and a Lenovo 2in one, and a Gigabyte Aorus gaming machine, none of which have that option. Seems funny that only your lenovo has such an option...
It's not really funny, my research before buying led me to find one with such an option to avoid the problems you are having. Hopefully you learn from your mistake next time. 😊

Looks like most of the Lenovo Legion line still have Mux switches:

https://amp.reddit.com/r/GamingLaptops/comments/o2tr95/question_about_mux_switch/

Not a lenovo fan since the yoga 11s that I bought years was blacklisted against any ssd but samsung....I won't be dictated as to what I install.. NOT a mistake. I will never buy another Lenovo product, glad your happy with yours. Doom Eternal not allowing RTX on 3060 laptops is a LAZY developer funny how every other game runs fine in rtx mode....

Okay to all of you bonafide know it alls. Here is the fix for the RTX 3060 laptop GPU. Don't install the latest drivers. When I installed the latest 471s the RT did not work in Doom eternal. Today just went back to the Nvidia driver search and it brought up an older driver 466.77. Hmm So I did a custom clean install guess what the Ray tracing now works in Doon enternal on My Asus Tuffdash F15 with 11370H and rtx 3060.. Now we know Nvidia F**ked up the newer drivers. Now for those of you who have an AMD machine I would first of all make sure you have the Amd 21.62 drivers and then install the Nvidia 466.77 drivers. Now Doom eternal will tell you must have 470 or higher just click play, the game will still work fine... let me know if this works for you...

Typically you want to use the driver from the laptop manufacturer, not the generic mobile driver. I had a laptop with a mobile AMD GPU in the past that did not work in OpenGL and had issues with DirectX 8 and older when I tried using the driver direct from AMD. Everything only worked properly using the driver from my laptop manufacturer.

This is NOT a generic or beta driver it is straight from the Nvidia driver page and is the only card to use the older driver. There has to be some thing weird that the a laptop GPU has to us an older driver. I also own a G14 4900hs w 2060 maxq which works fine with the 471 driver, but you must have the latest Amd 21.62 drivers installed for RT to work in Doom Eternal.. Also it is a well known fact that Laptop makers seldom if ever update their drivers...

This is NOT a generic or beta driver it is straight from the Nvidia driver page and is the only card to use the older driver. There has to be some thing weird that the a laptop GPU has to us an older driver. I also own a G14 4900hs w 2060 maxq which works fine with the 471 driver, but you must have the latest Amd 21.62 drivers installed for RT to work in Doom Eternal.. Also it is a well known fact that Laptop makers seldom if ever update their drivers...
Yes it is the generic driver from nvidia.

Then how come Nvidia still shows the preferred driver for the RTX 3060 laptop GPU as the 466.77 ?

well looks like Nvidia has changed the driver to the 471 hope it will still work

My Dell G15 Ryzen edition has a MUX switch and can also do it from the OS. <shrugs>
It's nice to have the portability of switchable graphics. If you want always plugged in and no option for taking it elsewhere and using it on battery, they make a computer type for that.
It's called a desktop.

You cannot easily pick up and carry a desktop and monitor.. anywhere.. and as far as I know Laptops don't advertise a bios switch for graphics or TDP. I have never seen it ever mentioned in reviews either

Almost every laptop that has IGP+discrete will have an option in BIOS somewhere to disable Optimus. Look for that terminology or something similar. As well, in the Nvidia CP under the Manage 3D settings tab, look for the preferred graphics processor drop down, there is an option. Heck, my Precision M5550 for work has that. You argue from the point of always plug in then lament the lack of portability of a machine that is designed to always be plugged in.
Seriously, decide on an argument and stick with it. Or not-no skin off my back. Right now though, you're all over the place with your rants.

Back