DOOM ETERNAL Announced with Trailer

I did not play the 2016 one because it didn't seem to have enough horror theme for Doom. But this trailer looks more like the original Doom theme. Definitely interested in finding out more.

I got chills both good and bad, good for the excitement of this, and then I remembered the doom movie.

Meh. The last time I played Doom the only thought that came to mind was how dark everything was. I mean, like the game needed the brightness turned up. If I wanted to wander around in the dark, I can flip the main breaker on my house.

Wayyyy too much shadow for not enough substance.

The last one was a tad long in the tooth I thought, got a little repetitive there towards the end, but otherwise was a fantastic return to fame.

I disagree. I could have been fine with it going on forever honestly. The gameplay/gunplay was just that solid and smooth.
I got over 200 hours in Doom 4. Never touched multiplayer once. Extremely happy about a sequel. Looking forward to more kickass Vulkan performance (though lets be clear, that game owned in OpenGL 4.5 too). Doom 4 absolutely nailed movement feel and input response, looking forward to more of that. Art direction and soundtrack were on point too. I woulda be fine just with more Doom 4 single-player levels. So fuck yeah bring on a sequel.

Meh. The last time I played Doom the only thought that came to mind was how dark everything was. I mean, like the game needed the brightness turned up. If I wanted to wander around in the dark, I can flip the main breaker on my house.

Wayyyy too much shadow for not enough substance.
I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy Doom 3, but the new one from 2016 was pretty fun and not that dark. If it’s too dark your monitor/TV settings are objectively wrong.

Day 364 purchase, like whenever Steam puts it on 50% off or better
Probably buggy on day one (as usual for Bethesda)
I don't think the Doom 2016 was developed by Bethesda. It was developed by iD unless I'm totally misremembering. It also has great Vulkan support.

I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy Doom 3, but the new one from 2016 was pretty fun and not that dark. If it’s too dark your monitor/TV settings are objectively wrong.
Yeah, I was referring to Doom 3. Didn't try the 2016 game. I hadn't planned on it, but you guys all seem to be saying it's worth taking a look.

Yeah, I was referring to Doom 3. Didn't try the 2016 game. I hadn't planned on it, but you guys all seem to be saying it's worth taking a look.

It was easily a top 10 game in 2016. solid controls, smooth graphics, it's more of a kinetic killer than a jump scare machine.

Last edited:
Day 364 purchase, like whenever Steam puts it on 50% off or better
Probably buggy on day one (as usual for Bethesda)
It’s being developed by the id team, it’ll be one of the most stable and refined games when released. I have no worries about that.

Cool. Waiting with baited breath. However ...

Most favorite SP game in recent years = Doom 2016
Least favorite MP game in recent years = Doom 2016

Other random thoughts ...
- game is amazing in Vulkan. Sure hope that returns.
- arcade mode and rune trials added much re-playability. Kept me coming back to try and best myself.
- first game in some time where I did not feel compelled to turn in-game music off. In fact, sought out a high bit rate version of the soundtrack so my neighbors could enjoy the sub-sonics too.
- MP was a major disappointment. Almost felt like a different game. For one, everything is over balanced. In my mind they missed a golden opportunity for a multi gun toting overkill frag fest the likes of which we have not seen since Unreal Tournament. Build it id and Bethesda, and I will come.

I wasn't hooked at all by the MP in Doom 2016 - but I'd totally be on board to play the campaign in co-op.

I did not play the 2016 one because it didn't seem to have enough horror theme for Doom. But this trailer looks more like the original Doom theme. Definitely interested in finding out more.
Can't see how you saw something different in this trailer and the 2016 doom, looks identical.

I still don't understand how people don't get the fact that id Software is their own entity. People keep assuming that because they're a subsidiary that it's Bethsoft making their games. I see comments to that effect all the time, and it's TOTALLY not the case. It's a publisher-studio relationship. id Software is a studio, Bethesda/Zennimax is their publisher/parent.

id's games are NOT Bethsoft games, and they do NOT use their engines. They use id Tech X engines.

This Doom looks amazing so far. Can't wait to play it.

This absolutely does not look identical to Doom 2016. Even if it did, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all, as that game was absolutely fantastic.

I still don't understand how people don't get the fact that id Software is their own entity. People keep assuming that because they're a subsidiary that it's Bethsoft making their games. I see comments to that effect all the time, and it's TOTALLY not the case. It's a publisher-studio relationship. id Software is a studio, Bethesda/Zennimax is their publisher/parent.

id's games are NOT Bethsoft games, and they do NOT use their engines. They use id Tech X engines.

This absolutely does not look identical to Doom 2016. Even if it did, that wouldn't be a bad thing at all, as that game was absolutely fantastic.

Indeed. Beth only publishes it but the game is all ID Software. And if you love original Doom 1 and 2 you will love Doom 2016. The gameplay is modernized but still exactly the same in spirit, just as hectic and adrenaline filled as originals. Only thing I did not really like in Doom 2016 was the design of most demons, they looked more like boring aliens than actual demons. And with that I mean something you will find in late 80's and early 90's Heavy, Thrash and Death Metal album covers like original Doom was. Thankfully the gameplay is so exciting that you do not have time to concentrate on such details. :D Anyway, I can't be more hyped for Doom Eternal even if I tried.

Loved Doom 2016. It did get repetitive, but like this trailer - the music gets me reenergized and ready to bust some heads.

I can't wait for this one.

The mistake people make is attributing everything to Bethesda while Bethesda themselves are a subsidiary of a larger company: ZeniMax Media.

id Software is a wholly owned subsidiary of Zenimax, just like Bethesda. The reason id Tech 6 isn't being used elsewhere is because id Software isn't licensing it out like previous engines. id Tech 5 was used in several other games developed by other Zenimax subsidiaries including Dishonored 2 (Arkane Studios) and The Evil Within 2 (Tango Softworks).

But id operates like any other developer owned by a parent company. I think since Zenimax was founded by Bethesda's founders that they let their creative teams exercise a lot of freedom in creative and technical direction, and they deliver every time.

Back