DOOM Co-creator John Romero Teases New Game

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
John Romero wants another shot at making you his b*tch: the legendary game designer (DOOM, Wolfenstein, Quake, Daikatana) has announced he has completed a new title, which will be unveiled tomorrow on DOOM’s 25th Anniversary. Information is nearly non-existent, but Romero’s Instagram suggests the number “5” is part of the puzzle.

25 years ago DOOM was released on December 10th. To celebrate this momentous occasion, Romero Games will announce pre-orders for a project John Romero just completed. If you have been following John Romero’s Instagram @theromero you would have seen the hints. What looked like a countdown to Doom’s birthday became suddenly mysterious. You’ll receive another email on Monday announcing this new project, and have the opportunity to pre-order it.

Now that would get my interest. One of my favourite games growing up, playing it on an amd sx386 at that point IIRC.

Still worth playing in dos box
i completedthem recently this year or last year

Reactions: N4CR
like this
It will probably be another shitty battle royale game. Any magic he had as a game dev back in the day is long gone.

Still worth playing in dos box
i completedthem recently this year or last year
Been wanting to for a while now, so I'll add it to the list. I'm playing diablo in my rare downtime, trying to smash work out before my v64 arrives today ^_^

What happened to that kickstarter game that he and Adrian promised to make a tech demo of?

What happened to that kickstarter game that he and Adrian promised to make a tech demo of?
After the Kickstarter failed he said something along the lines of needing to show a more finished product before going back to Kickstarter. So there's no way to know if he kept working on that game or started something new.

This is the failed Kickstarter game.

Last edited:
Zork 4 and 5 in VR. One for each eye.
Nevrmind 4, forgot about Enchanter.
Both eyes for the price of one maybe.

Dopefish Five...

Last edited:
Cause we all know how good Daikatana was from the "legendary" game designer.

Ah, good times, good times... Daicraptana and the advertising.

porter_daikatana.jpg

DOOM, Wolfenstein, Quake, Daikatana

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

He probably made 5 wads for the original DooM and is releasing a mini episode for the game to celebrate its 25.

i hope its a simple back to basics death match game with decent maps. alot of fps games these are just too much of an arse grind, i miss the simple games you could hit for 5-10 mins then drop it.

Blah, work filter won't let me view the announcement - any screenshots included with it?

As niche as classic Doom may be these day, Romero's last Doom level (which he also gave away free) was really well done. Count me in as excited to play these.

Last edited:
Back