Doom 4 now just Doom teaser trailer

I completely agree about the "monster closets" being dated. Every single rooms goes like this in D3: door opens in front of you, noisy monster comes out, spin around because secretly they opened a second door behind you. That trick only works if you use it once.

Also, I would like to see more situations where you think to yourself, "oh shit, time to run!"

It is a prevalent technique in Doom 3, but it's not everywhere. Usually it's the zombies that are just hanging out in the dark somewhere, or the occasional imp in a closet. However, pinkies break through doors and walls, imps crawls out of ducts and channels, the spiders crawl through the ventilation (which really sucks when you're in there too and hear the tickitickiticki sounds. The big soldier guys also come and find you sometimes too. I agree that it's a dated technique, but you still need some behind the door startles sometimes I think. Maybe less of them, so you don't get used to it, but D3 isn't as bad here as people say.

Of course F.E.A.R. did a pretty good job of scaring you by putting Alma in some odd places other than closets. She was always doing weird things too like when she kinda break dances across the floor at you and such. (for lack of better term) :D

I remember playing wolfenstein at last years quakecon and being disappointed by the linear map design that was prevalent in rage. I bet this will be the same story, gigantic landscapes where you can only walk one way or an invisible wall will stop you

I remember playing wolfenstein at last years quakecon and being disappointed by the linear map design that was prevalent in rage. I bet this will be the same story, gigantic landscapes where you can only walk one way or an invisible wall will stop you
I am cautiously optimistic about Doom; Wolfestein: The New Order turned out to be a good game and although this is not a popular stance around here I very much enjoyed RAGE even though the ending was indeed precipitated.

Regarding the map design I think it all comes down to... Well... The design — linear or open world maps do not necessarily equate with good or bad games in my opinion. However, if the maps do turn out to resemble those of recent modern military shooters, then I will be disappointed.

Hopefully, id will showcase enough of the game during Quakecon to give us an idea of which direction this Doom iteration will be taking.

Every time they use that exact sound on TV it makes me think of Doom.

There is also a stock glass breaking noise that is used in a lot of games (though I don't think it's in Doom specifically,) but it's used in movies, TV, games, etc. Same sound. Glass breaking, but like in big chunks with little clinking sounds instead of a full on shatter.

I heard the Doom door sound in some Sci-Fi movie or show recently too.

The other sound that gets used in just about every game, cartoon, show, etc. is the old "chirp" of an MFM 5.25" hard drive. My Seagate ST-225 20MB drives in my old XT made this exact sound. chirp-chirp-chirp... chirp-chirp... chirp-chirp-chirp... :D

There is also a stock glass breaking noise that is used in a lot of games (though I don't think it's in Doom specifically,) but it's used in movies, TV, games, etc. Same sound. Glass breaking, but like in big chunks with little clinking sounds instead of a full on shatter.

I heard the Doom door sound in some Sci-Fi movie or show recently too.

The other sound that gets used in just about every game, cartoon, show, etc. is the old "chirp" of an MFM 5.25" hard drive. My Seagate ST-225 20MB drives in my old XT made this exact sound. chirp-chirp-chirp... chirp-chirp... chirp-chirp-chirp... :D
Another one that gets used a lot, especially in Syfy's made for TV movies, is the Imp fireball sound.

I'm sure there must be some stock audio sound collections that are royalty free or something that anyone on a budget uses. :D

Man, QuakeCon is the only reason I regret I don't live in the US. I wish I could go there, compete, talk to Carmack, etc.

I don't buy what they're selling, though. No way they're not going to show the footage a few days later. WHO ARE YOU KIDDING :D

A "reboot" or "origin story" is a clever way of reducing expectations. I hope its a fun game but let's face it the soul is gone, the magic is gone, all the original developers are gone, its essentially a DOOM tribute game.

I'm sure ID is just trying to sell another "engine" and not really a game, Rage and Doom 3 were both meh.

Well, game content aside, I sure do hope that idTech 6 doesn't have the texture pop-in issues it's predecessor has.

Well, game content aside, I sure do hope that idTech 6 doesn't have the texture pop-in issues it's predecessor has.

I think it's just id Tech 5 with little optimization but because of the bad rap it received with Rage they decided to call it id Tech 6.

Doom: resurrection of Pop-in texture streaming.

But seriously: Finishing moves!? WTF is the point!? Unless performing a repetitive finisher is going to benefit the player, I-E stealing armour or ammo, getting health/buffs, I don t see the point, and really, it's just a waste of development time. This game sounds like it's trying to be Serious Sam 3, and honestly, I WANT Doom to be awesome, but Serious Sam is already doing what Doom says it will do...

Shit now I'm all excited for Serious Sam 4

Last edited:
Honestly I hope this game will be great if for none other than nostalgia reasons, but 360 and PS3 being included platforms worries me and I hope they don't hold back the more powerful platforms including obviously PC

I think it's just id Tech 5 with little optimization but because of the bad rap it received with Rage they decided to call it id Tech 6.

Most likely, yeah.

engines usually when they go up a # are built on the previous engine.

Honestly I hope this game will be great if for none other than nostalgia reasons, but 360 and PS3 being included platforms worries me and I hope they don't hold back the more powerful platforms including obviously PC

And for the love of god don't lock the motherfucker at 60hz.

I really hope this new engine ID Tech 6, if it is actually new or just ID Tech 5 with a different name will not exhibit the same issues ID Tech 5 currently has. Texture popping, ugly megatextures, uncompressed huge file sizes, 60 FPS cap and lack of multi GPU support made this engine look bad.

I thought DOOM 3 looked great and I loved it when it came out. Hopefully this one will live up to the series expectations and not some lame console port like RAGE and Wolfenstein.

I cannot find where it says they are including those consoles. The 2 articles that mention platform availability say: "1080p at 60 FPS on PC, PS4 and Xbox One".

Wiki page also doesn't list PS3 or 360 either. For what that is worth :p

But seriously: Finishing moves!? WTF is the point!? Unless performing a repetitive finisher is going to benefit the player, I-E stealing armour or ammo, getting health/buffs, I don t see the point, and really, it's just a waste of development time. This game sounds like it's trying to be Serious Sam 3, and honestly, I WANT Doom to be awesome, but Serious Sam is already doing what Doom says it will do...

Shit now I'm all excited for Serious Sam 4
You sir, seem to have never played Brutal Doom.

Rock Paper Shotgun said:
Is it madly different? Clearly not. Before you could only shoot the demons, but now you can punch them too. Maybe next you’ll be able to talk to them, but not yet. Sorry, Ian.

Umm...:rolleyes:

Though perhaps the author was referring to these "finishing moves".

WTF is going on here? You grumpy old people. Everything about the game sounds pretty fucking awesome.

I can not wait. Need bootleg footage damn it.

iWjKKo3050RYC.png

Back