Doom 4 now just Doom teaser trailer

Carmack did id Tech 5 which is what this runs on, but we also know it ran Rage and Wolfenstein. If the original team is gone on this one, I'd say more than likely a mediocre to so so let down. If they kept it real on this one before handing it over, could be decent.

But I truly fear the best days of Doom and quake are long behind us unless Carmack and original team members came back.

Maybe a Quake 5 on id tech 5 after? Who knows, thats what happened with Doom3/Quake4 last time around. I'd give it a go.

same shit, same name.

wolfenstein new order wasn't too bad. Maybe this will only semisuck

They better fix the darn texture loading in issue and texture quality issue. Don't mess up this freakin game guys, just don't.

Also, to add, on the PC it better have AA options, traditional MSAA is fine, but preferably SMAA.

It also better not have a 30 FPS or 60 FPS framerate cap. On the PC we need the ability to have unlocked framerate in the game, allow it to maintain as high as it can. Understand people do use 120Hz or 144Hz screens.

Support SLI and CrossFire out of the box.

Do these things, and I will be happy.

Basically it needs to be a true PC game that utilizes modern hardware and not some pos port meant to run on the Xbox 360.

Basically it needs to be a true PC game that utilizes modern hardware and not some pos port meant to run on the Xbox 360.

Shit, with the way the PC gaming industry is evolving they could literally do a modern Doom with touch ups they could have never done, but is true to the very original. Nobody wants to see some half-baked horror like Doom 3. Quake IV was, well, id Software showing they're unable to create anything new anymore.

They need to do what Epic did and do a restart the way Gears of War allowed them to brush off previous Unreal 2/3 delays and the lackluster UK2003/UT3.

Amazing , cant wait for another DOOM. I am going to replay DOOM3 in the mean time and admire its beautiful and awesomeness.

I'm afraid I don't have high expectations for this,given what we've seen from iD in recent years. And the stories I've heard about the development hell the game has gone through sounds like a repeat of DNF.

all i have to say is that it better splatter blood and guts all over my screen or i'm not going to be playing it. don't give me any of that half-assed wolfenstein tno shit. it made me so happy to see that witcher 3 is doing gore properly, devs need to understand how much more satisfying gameplay is when your weapons actually do something other than make a number go down.

Very much so, that line about flesh and metal is almost copied from an old Quake manual...

Sure, but they had the same ideas in Doom and Wolfenstein

In the original Doom the plot (such as it was) was that UAC built a portal generator that accidentally opened gateways to Hell

The demons possessed humans and some of them even integrated human technology (cyberdemon had a rocket launcher and spider demons had chain guns and plasma rifles)

They even pulled the whole Demos base over to their side and a lot of the levels had a mixture of UAC and hellish features.

Also, to add, on the PC it better have AA options, traditional MSAA is fine, but preferably SMAA.

It also better not have a 30 FPS or 60 FPS framerate cap. On the PC we need the ability to have unlocked framerate in the game, allow it to maintain as high as it can. Understand people do use 120Hz or 144Hz screens.

Support SLI and CrossFire out of the box.

Do these things, and I will be happy.

What about story and gameplay?

I couldnt care less about multi gpu, multi screen, 4k, and 120hz if the gameplay is good.

I'm calling it now, this will be a cash grab. We've been burned too many times to believe otherwise.

I have several firewalls at work. wanna know how to get around them? Squid proxy. I have it set up on my VPS and low and behold I can do almost anything I want. Linux learn it.

I just don't have the confidence anymore. Doom 3 was a different story but now that id software is essentially a shell of it's former self and ZeniMax is the driver... I'll need to wait and see.

Looks too much like quake..Did any one see the first d4 trailer? It made me think they are doing an open world in doom4

the first doom 3 trailer was kinda similar... then the thing didn't end up in the final game :/

Amazing , cant wait for another DOOM. I am going to replay DOOM3 in the mean time and admire its beautiful and awesomeness.

I started playing Doom 3 a couple of weeks ago. I've been having a blast actually. It really is a very good game. Bandwagon hate-mongers be damned! (to live on Mars and get shot by space marines...) :D

What about story and gameplay?

I couldnt care less about multi gpu, multi screen, 4k, and 120hz if the gameplay is good.

It's Doom. As long as it looks good, and the shooting mechanics are right... Story has never been id's strong point. RAGE probably had the best, but that deteriorated a bit toward the end. id games are typically action horror, and they do it well IMO at least. I just wouldn't expect too much in that department. I expect it to be a Doom game.

All I can say is... the rest of the game better look as epic as that damned teaser, or there will be hell to pay.

All I can say is... the rest of the game better look as epic as that damned teaser, or there will be hell to pay.

When you say hell to pay, you really mean : Everyone will pre-order and then bitch when it sucks and then do it all over again.

When you say hell to pay, you really mean : Everyone will pre-order and then bitch when it sucks and then do it all over again.

That's hell enough for the rest of us when reading the forums. :D

Hearing the ol' school shotgun cocking and the door opening sound made me cream my pants.

I know the ID Tech engine has it issues, but I have to say I was able to enjoy Wolfenstein: The New Order very much. Yes, the texture pop-in thingie was noticeable but after a while I didn't notice it.

Yet, there is hope they fix it... even so, they will have my money Day 1, out of pure nostalgia!

Supposidly years ago, Either J.Carmack or The other founder who was main man in charge of doom4, said that IDtech 5 could scale to be 2-3x more demanding than Rage when Rage was coming out.
That was during the last-gen console days, yeah. They could push three times as much detail and still offer a 30 Hz game, which was the intention. The comment is no longer of any great relevance, though.

The loss of the possibility of a Carmack Tech 6 in the future is the real loss.
I think he's probably still working on engine technology at Oculus. Given that John Ollick is now also at Oculus, and id Tech 6 was shaping up to be a 'joint venture' between Carmack and Ollick (sparse voxel octrees and such), it's a safe bet that you'll be seeing an "Oculus Tech"-series of game engines, optimized for low-latency and for VR.

I hope this doesn't turn into another DNF fiasco... long wait for nothing that was

People like you is why we get shit games over and over. Day 1 purchasing without seeing one shred of gameplay.

Oh come on. Who hasn't seen gameplay footage by the time a game comes out? That's a silly argument. We haven't seen any YET, but by the time the game is out, we all will have seen something. Anyone that bought the new Wolfenstein will be able to try out the beta too. (supposedly)

Also, a lot of people just like to complain even if something IS good.

Please tell me they have finally gotten rid of "monster closets".

It made sense in the original DOOM I and II, because of the technical limitation of the engine, but felt really contrived in DOOM 3, almost like they were paying homage to bad game design.

There has to be a better way to add tension to a DOOM game besides having totally implausible rooms full of monsters, all patiently sitting there slowly dying of starvation (or boredom), just waiting for some hapless space marine to wander past and step on a (poorly) camouflaged trigger tile.

Also, stop forcing me to choose between the gun and the flashlight. I shouldn't have to wander around the game looking for a roll of duct tape just to be able to see what I'm shooting at.

I completely agree about the "monster closets" being dated. Every single rooms goes like this in D3: door opens in front of you, noisy monster comes out, spin around because secretly they opened a second door behind you. That trick only works if you use it once.

Also, I would like to see more situations where you think to yourself, "oh shit, time to run!"

Back