Doom 4 now just Doom teaser trailer

Noooo blocked from work, any youtube link ????
E3 is getting real good this year... Need L4D3 now pls, PLS !!!

Doom was my all time favorite game ever for a long time and changed video games for me when I first fired it up on the PS1 (PS1 version had much better music and sound effects) and was kinda let down in Doom 3. Normally I'd be wetting my pants over this but I'm afraid they'll come up short like they did with Doom 3.

Dont get me wrong, Doom 3 was a very good game but just didn't catch whatever it was that made the first 2 (3 counting Final Doom) so fucking good. I'll still probably be close to first in line for this though.

Mixed feelings on this. On one hand Carmack is gone, the original team is gone, the original magic is gone and I fear getting a DOOM in name only, like a DOOM texture mod of RAGE or Wolfenstein:New Order.

On the other hand maybe it'll be great.

On a side note, I do wonder what decade we'll finally see games that look as good in-game as these prerendered trailers.

Supposidly years ago, Either J.Carmack or The other founder who was main man in charge of doom4, said that IDtech 5 could scale to be 2-3x more demanding than Rage when Rage was coming out.

I have no high hopes but I'd really like to see a bleeding edge idtech game.

Doom3 brought a lot of new awesome tech, Great sound system, Amazing lightning engine.

the early part of the teaser reminded me of Alien more then Doom...the final reveal reminded me of Pacific Rim...hopefully they will do the game justice

Thx !

And yeah, for now hehe. I have to switch from http to https and it works.
Oh wow, that works for me too ;). I'll have to be sure to not abuse this workaround :cool:.

Interesting that the Cyberdemon had UAC branding on it.

Mixed feelings on this. On one hand Carmack is gone, the original team is gone, the original magic is gone and I fear getting a DOOM in name only, like a DOOM texture mod of RAGE or Wolfenstein:New Order.

On a side note, I do wonder what decade we'll finally see games that look as good in-game as these prerendered trailers.

Doom 3 was a disappointment to me. Seemed like they lost their magic by then. Doom 1 & 2 were amazing. Doom 3 was ok, but it wasn't great. I'm hoping that the new Doom will be great. Not just Doom graphics and name slapped onto a generic FPS (like so many other games out there... Same thing, different name slapped on).

As far as the side note - look at prerendered trailers from a decade ago. We've passed most of those already. We're starting to stagnate in the PC gaming arena. Crysis still looks wonderful, and can pass as a new game. I want to see a new game that requires a newer video card and a newer CPU and actually push them to their limits. :)

I actually prefer Doom 3 to the previous ones. However, definitely not in MP. I still remember playing through serial cables, 10 base 2 coax (don't forget to terminate,) etc. That was a just plain new experience altogether. However, overall, for single player (which is what I typically play) Doom 3 was better in every way. I still play it frequently. It's just fun to hop in shoot some things, and hop back out when I have other things to do.

As far as being generic, I don't feel like any id game (including outsourced dev,) has ever been generic. Simple yes (highly simple,) but very refined in what they do. Complex they are not, deeply thought provoking, also no. However, it's shooting in its simplest form, and at least for me, quite entertaining. I really can't fault them at all on any of the mechanics. While simplistic, they just plain work. Same could be said from many of the pioneering shooter companies.

Down to taste I suppose, but to me id games taste good. :D

If I want to think more while I play, I play System Shock, Deus Ex, or maybe something else with more story, multiple ways to play through the game, etc.

So, I am trying to put this in prospective here. I just got done battling Cyber/Mecha Nazi's in Wolfenstein and now in the same graphics engine I get to battle Mechanized/Cyber enhanced demons in a new package called Doom 4?? All inside a corridor shooter again. Yay. No. Same engine as Rage and Wolfenstein? No thanks.

Why can't we get these studios like ID and Epic to either hand off the originals to another studio or fully remake the originals in the New Engines. Unreal Redux and Doom Again. Instead they basically rehash shit with a couple of snap-ons like lets make them mechanized! The new Engine ID handed out to everyone is well known to suck.

Guess I am getting old and our generation has literally played everything out there to death. :(
Haters going to hate, and I thoroughly and tired of this shit rehashes and going to hate.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!! :mad:

No Carmack, No Doom.

Sorry, this game is going to suck. And last I heard, it has the same problem Duke Nukem Forever had. Every time they would start to produce gameplay, the developer would pull the plug & would want to go a different direction. I predict that this game will be a cluster fuck of Demons mixed with Call of Duty style gameplay.

I hope I'm wrong but I know better by now.

Last edited:
So, I am trying to put this in prospective here. I just got done battling Cyber/Mecha Nazi's in Wolfenstein and now in the same graphics engine I get to battle Mechanized/Cyber enhanced demons in a new package called Doom 4?? All inside a corridor shooter again. Yay. No. Same engine as Rage and Wolfenstein? No thanks.

Why can't we get these studios like ID and Epic to either hand off the originals to another studio or fully remake the originals in the New Engines. Unreal Redux and Doom Again. Instead they basically rehash shit with a couple of snap-ons like lets make them mechanized! The new Engine ID handed out to everyone is well known to suck.

Guess I am getting old and our generation has literally played everything out there to death. :(
Haters going to hate, and I thoroughly and tired of this shit rehashes and going to hate.

Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!! :mad:

The simple/raw/twitch FPS is likely not for you, (or not for you anymore) then. I'm pretty much not into the tactical/military/simulation type FPS. There are so many different types, that if you're not into these now, take a look at something else. Tactical, RPG/Shooter, etc. etc. I for one would like for id games to stay id games. Epic games to stay Epic games. Valve games... You get it. Just jump genres rather than wishing one was different than it is. At least, that's my take.

No Carmack, No Doom.

Sorry, this game is going to suck.

Carmack was/is/whatever an engine coder for the most part. A really good one, and IMO (and in agreement with you,) a very important aspect, and core team member at id. However, this isn't all that went into an id game.

Sad yes, the end? I'm not willing to say yet. I think they still have a speck of mileage in Tech 5 if they just go all out and use it. We'll see of course.

The gameplay aspect is moot. If they can deliver an immersive, nerve-racking experience through a compelling story and dark score, then it will be good.

...oh wait, nobody in the game industry cares about that stuff anymore.

The gameplay aspect is moot. If they can deliver an immersive, nerve-racking experience through a compelling story and dark score, then it will be good.

...oh wait, nobody in the game industry cares about that stuff anymore.

The majority yes, like the AAA game developers of the US. But there are some out there that still care about those things,

Check out a game Called Stasis, Mark Morgan is doing the score for it as well.

I for one would like for id games to stay id games. Epic games to stay Epic games.

FWIW, id software is no longer "id software", and Epic Games is no longer "Epic Games".

In truth this will really be more of a DOOM *themed* game than an actual "DOOM" game. Just like Gears of War will be GoW in name only now that Microsoft owns the IP, and the Bioshock series will no longer be "Bioshock" without Ken Levine. I could go on but it would get tougher and more pointless :)

FWIW, id software is no longer "id software", and Epic Games is no longer "Epic Games".

In truth this will really be more of a DOOM *themed* game than an actual "DOOM" game. Just like Gears of War will be GoW in name only now that Microsoft owns the IP, and the Bioshock series will no longer be "Bioshock" without Ken Levine. I could go on but it would get tougher and more pointless :)

Fair enough. :D So what it comes down to is them not royally effing it all up. Could go either way. As long as the mechanics are tight, the aesthetic is correct, and the overall atmosphere is there, then I don't really care who actually made it.

The loss of the possibility of a Carmack Tech 6 in the future is the real loss. A Doom themed game, if done well will be just fine. Raven did Quake IV, and while people tend not to like it, I thought it was quite good. It was a Quake themed game. Which reminds me... I haven't played QIV in a while. Install time.

A Shock game without original LGS or Irrational staff might be a little tougher to do. If someone pulled it off, then my above theory still holds. A Shock themed game is good enough. They're pretty much the only ones who've ever managed to pull that sort of game off though, and I'd argue that Bio isn't nearly as good as System, so they-themselves were already slipping a bit. This would be very tough to do, but who knows, maybe someone can prove me wrong, and I'll have another good game to play.

As far as Epic goes, it sounds like they're back on the right track, so only time will tell if the new UT game turns out to be a UT game. I couldn't care less about GoW. Never liked that franchise to begin with. Unreal or nothing for me from Epic or any Epic Byproduct Derivative.

New Porsches are Porsche themed automobiles. Damned nice cars too. I've owned old ones and new(er) ones (can't afford brand new ones... :D ) but I'd say the experience is generally similar, other than a few curve-balls like the 70s-80s 930. Torches eventually must get passed if an entity is to survive.

On the other hand, it would be cool to see all of the original staff create a reunion game, completely new IP but all working together like some kind of rock-band getting back together and releasing a good album.

Last edited by a moderator:
You people are getting worked up over a trailer... Haven't you seen this shit blowup in your faces time and time again? Most recently with Watch Dogs....who the fuck cares.

You people are getting worked up over a trailer... Haven't you seen this shit blowup in your faces time and time again? Most recently with Watch Dogs....who the fuck cares.

Watch Dogs didn't blow up in my face because I had no intention of getting it or much interest in it at all in the first place. I have actually NEVER been let down by an id or id-derived game. Out of all of them, I guess Doom 4 has the most potential to blow up in ones face, but until I see it, I'm going to stay excited. Besides, I just see healthy speculation and debate here. Nobody seems worked up.

Wasn't Carmack part of the team that made Rage? While the game was fun IMO, the ending was pure trash. Literally the worst ending I have ever seen, and the last mission was a joke as well. The graphics were complete fail as well. Why does everyone suck this guys dick so much, what has he brought out recently that is good? (I am serious, I wanna know)

Wasn't Carmack part of the team that made Rage? While the game was fun IMO, the ending was pure trash. Literally the worst ending I have ever seen, and the last mission was a joke as well. The graphics were complete fail as well. Why does everyone suck this guys dick so much, what has he brought out recently that is good? (I am serious, I wanna know)

Absolutely nothing.

John Carmack probably had nothing to do with the storyline of RAGE. Carmack is basically (was) id's primary engine developer/architect. Kind of amusing that people still think he's such a great/innovative developer, considering that idtech5 aka RAGE engine is complete and utter trash compared to other contemporary engines - both in terms of being a dev working with it and in actual features.

While it looks to be too late I hope to god they don't follow the style of gameplay from Doom 3. I'm sick of games made in the distant future where lights never work and when they do they are less effective than my microwave's clock at illuminating a room. Christ my iphone flashlight app works better and last longer apparently than tactical flashlights 100 years into the future. I'm hoping for the slaughterfest run and gun fun of Serious Sam or Doom 1 and 2.

Please tell me they have finally gotten rid of "monster closets".

It made sense in the original DOOM I and II, because of the technical limitation of the engine, but felt really contrived in DOOM 3, almost like they were paying homage to bad game design.

There has to be a better way to add tension to a DOOM game besides having totally implausible rooms full of monsters, all patiently sitting there slowly dying of starvation (or boredom), just waiting for some hapless space marine to wander past and step on a (poorly) camouflaged trigger tile.

Also, stop forcing me to choose between the gun and the flashlight. I shouldn't have to wander around the game looking for a roll of duct tape just to be able to see what I'm shooting at.

Supposidly years ago, Either J.Carmack or The other founder who was main man in charge of doom4, said that IDtech 5 could scale to be 2-3x more demanding than Rage when Rage was coming out.

I have no high hopes but I'd really like to see a bleeding edge idtech game.

Doom3 brought a lot of new awesome tech, Great sound system, Amazing lightning engine.

The problem with the engine is the current licensing by Bethesda/Zenimax isn't helping it at all and Megatextures still suck. If they could fix the loading issue and make it just a memory then it would have potential, but as it currently stands id Tech 5 is known as having poor performance and texture issues. Sledgehammer games did a great job though at minimizing things.

I'll wait and see what will come out of this. Doom 4 has been in the works for ages; before ZeniMax even bought id Software, and has been in development hell ever since.

no mega textures please, no squad based npc shit and scripted everything like quake 4 and less sucky and slow as doom 3.

I loved Doom 3, sure it needed a flashlight mod, but I liked the feel and their use of darkness.

Theres been a lot of rumors about infighting and such with Doom 4, plus all the hate Doom 3 got for being too dark, I feel like they will probably play it too safe and simple.

I'd be happy with a Serious Sam 3 BFE type game where managing weapons, dodging enemy shots, and managing hordes are a large part of the gameplay. Sprinkled in with good level design, health pick-ups, and secrets.

Combine that with nice graphics and a touch of story and call it a day.

well with all these doombringers and naysayers, hopefully the bar is really low so it'll rock.

dat door opening...

I still remember playing through serial cables, 10 base 2 coax (don't forget to terminate,).

Oh man!!! Reach around the 386 DX and give it a little twist and jiggle! :D In a way, those were the days, hehehe.

Back