Doom 3, your thoughts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

Copy HL a little more. I mean, at the begining of it, it has pretty much the same friggin' messages over the PA as black mesa.

Same shit like black mesa, hero comes, something bad(with aliens, and, transportation equipment?).

Nice touch on the pipe wrenches.

Nice touch at making mazes like HL.

Those are the negitives that I come up with.

So far, graphics own( a little dark). It just reminds me oh so much of classic HL :rolleyes:

i feel its wayyy too dark, its a pain in the ass. sure its scary as fuck, but come on this is doom not resident evil!

its a decent game though, graphics are amazing. im likin it so far, maybe ill get around to beating it... its somewhat hard at parts (i hate getting hit and how the screen goes all crappy lol)

never played through all of HL but it did remind me of it. i wish more games were focused on team play though (halo sorta, but moreso) i mean, it would be sweet if there was a nother few survivors to help out in fact, it would be awesome.. lol

this is supposed to be a retelling of the original doom, so maybe its HL that copied doom in the first place... :eek: :confused:

sc0tty8 said:
Copy HL a little more. I mean, at the begining of it, it has pretty much the same friggin' messages over the PA as black mesa.

Same shit like black mesa, hero comes, something bad(with aliens, and, transportation equipment?).

So far, graphics own( a little dark). It just reminds me oh so much of classic HL :rolleyes:

lol what?

Okay - What other FPS doesn't have a "hero" that battles aliens?

And since when were "mazes" licensed to Valve? - Do a little more research on your games pal.

The orignal Doom had an action maze feel to it - mostly inspired by Romero who left his boot mark on his grand exeunt b/c he is a cocky asshat.

i hate to say it but half-life people are just pissed their favorite game isn't out yet. not starting a flame war but it needed saying. it'll come out. just enjoy doom 3 like we'll all enjoy half-life 2.

that being said, so far i've loved it. scared the piss out of me a few times. (running from pinky demon with a pistol is insanity... then realizing he was keeping up with me... well that was just a whole new experience.) i'm very much looking forward to the rest of it. there was a few times i had to choose between exploring a bit more or running away from "that noise".... i chose running.

HRslammR said:
i hate to say it but half-life people are just pissed their favorite game isn't out yet. not starting a flame war but it needed saying. it'll come out. just enjoy doom 3 like we'll all enjoy half-life 2.

that being said, so far i've loved it. scared the piss out of me a few times. (running from pinky demon with a pistol is insanity... then realizing he was keeping up with me... well that was just a whole new experience.) i'm very much looking forward to the rest of it. there was a few times i had to choose between exploring a bit more or running away from "that noise".... i chose running.

the sound in this game is incredible - Puts you into your chars. shoes -

Grado SR60's + High Volume = :eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh, and I heard some classic d1/d2 and quake 3 sounds in there also....I am sure they could have come up with some new sound effects...

sc0tty8 said:
Oh, and I heard some classic d1/d2 and quake 3 sounds in there also....I am sure they could have come up with some new sound effects...

you're just a bitter gamer. go enjoy another great game. half-life 2 will be out soon enough. if the sound effect fits, why change it? i still hear that original doom goatroar being used sometimes. are they still unoriginal?

The game is too durn dark - turn the lights on damn it and use more colors.

D3 is so damn dark and I can't see what I'm doing half the time.

I liked the colors of Far Cry a lot better.

JESUS! NOOB! I don't have the game and I know the console is ctrl+alt+~.... sigh.... :rolleyes:

I pre-ordered a copy of Doom3 from the Electronics Boutique a few weeks ago, but I found a copy floating around the torrents yesterday afternoon, so I figured I would try it since I already bought it.

All I have to say is that this game is damn scary, I have just spent the last 2 hours going through a freaking nightmare and the game has just only begun. The lighting effects and sound alone are superior to any game ever made, and I only have it on medium quality graphics, although I have tried using high quality and it runs fine, it just runs much better on medium, I still haven't tried ultra quality yet.

And the way they animate the characters and integrate that with the sounds that bombard you at every corner (surround sound speakers definite must) . You really get a head job with this one. The physics are very impressive also, i find myself easily amused by just punching a can or other random object into other objects just to see what happens.

I just cant wait until I can play this game online, the mods for this are gonna be awesome, this is exactly what the game industry and community needed. GG ID

Specs:
P4 3.0 HT
1 gig of Ram
ATI Radeon 9800 pro
Win XP home

Doom 3

TEH GOOD
- Interior and creature graphics are terrific, as are the lighting and shadows
- Nice ragdoll physics
- Ambience and atmosphere is genuinely creepy and at times outright frightening
- Voiceovers aren't cheesy, sound FX are awesome
- Revamped versions of the classic Doom weapons, even the chainsaw
- Blasting zombified Marines and monsters with the shotgun is very satisfying, but not so much with the other weapons -- lotsa good gore
- Save anywhere
- Good pacing, not a constant slaughter
- Plays very well on lower-end video cards (still playing on my 9800 Pro)
- Good configuration options
- Only 3 CDs, installs very quickly

TEH BAD
- Boring, boring, boring. I am fully aware that it's Doom, the kind of gameplay it would have, but come ON...kill monsters, find card keys, open doors, proceed to next area in which you kill monsters, find card keys, open doors, etc.? Even the "cutscenes" don't do much to break up the boredom
- Plotline is typical "crazed scientist tries to wield immense power but cannot control it, everything runs amok, blah blah"
- Weapon sounds are weak, lacking "punch"
- The humans' skin is a greyish color and looks artificial
- Many times it's easy to anticipate the next surprise encounter, and that detracts from the suspense
- Lack of extensive interactivity and object physics, such as the majority of glass does not breaking, even when hit by rockets or the BFG
- Corpses dissolve after death, as do bullet holes and plasma burn marks
- Weak multiplayer options

OVERALL
Doom 3 is entertaining, albeit boring and repetitive; still, it's a welcome break from the brightly-colored world of Far Cry. It's grittier and achieves its aim of being scary while catering to the sharpened fangs of FPS veterans. But in the end, the main purpose of Doom 3 seems to be to show off the power and ability of a high-end system more than it is to provide solid entertainment.

RATING (out of 5)
Graphics: 4
Sound: 4
Gameplay: 2
Value: 3
Overall Score: 3.25

HY HART IS IN MY THROAT

damn did even play for 10 mints and there i am sitting sweting anda ll out of breth.

but the dark spooky was wayyyyyyy overdone i cant handle it,

I NEED LIGHT

First 10min was not sure but an hour in it is everything I hoped for. The game rocks :D

Could everyone who have the game try to enable SURROUND SPEAKERS option and write down the results - including the SOUND HARDWARE (Onboard/PCI) and SPEAKERS.

(Also Drivers, and which edition of the soundcard they have)

Torquemada XP said:
Doom 3

TEH GOOD
- Interior and creature graphics are terrific, as are the lighting and shadows
- Nice ragdoll physics
- Ambience and atmosphere is genuinely creepy and at times outright frightening
- Voiceovers aren't cheesy, sound FX are awesome
- Revamped versions of the classic Doom weapons, even the chainsaw
- Blasting zombified Marines and monsters with the shotgun is very satisfying, but not so much with the other weapons -- lotsa good gore
- Save anywhere
- Good pacing, not a constant slaughter
- Plays very well on lower-end video cards (still playing on my 9800 Pro)
- Good configuration options
- Only 3 CDs, installs very quickly

TEH BAD
- Boring, boring, boring. I am fully aware that it's Doom, the kind of gameplay it would have, but come ON...kill monsters, find card keys, open doors, proceed to next area in which you kill monsters, find card keys, open doors, etc.? Even the "cutscenes" don't do much to break up the boredom
- Plotline is typical "crazed scientist tries to wield immense power but cannot control it, everything runs amok, blah blah"
- Weapon sounds are weak, lacking "punch"
- The humans' skin is a greyish color and looks artificial
- Many times it's easy to anticipate the next surprise encounter, and that detracts from the suspense
- Lack of extensive interactivity and object physics, such as the majority of glass does not breaking, even when hit by rockets or the BFG
- Corpses dissolve after death, as do bullet holes and plasma burn marks

OVERALL
Doom 3 is entertaining, albeit boring and repetitive; still, it's a welcome break from the brightly-colored world of Far Cry. It's grittier and achieves its aim of being scary while catering to the sharpened fangs of FPS veterans. But in the end, the main purpose of Doom 3 seems to be to show off the power and ability of a high-end system more than it is to provide solid entertainment.

RATING (out of 5)
Graphics: 4
Sound: 4
Gameplay: 2

Overall Score: 3.3

the clearest summary i've read about the game. well put, well done!

The game is nothing short of awesome....and to quote someone from a Vid Card thread on Doom 3....

PadanFain said:
I would hate to play this game all light up. It is a horror after all

Enter the darkness like a man

1991.jpg

A lot of people are complaing its "too dark." It's supposed to be dark! It's Doom! NOT sunny tropics hawaii shirt game! :p

Blackwind said:
A lot of people are complaing its "too dark." It's supposed to be dark! It's Doom! NOT sunny tropics hawaii shirt game! :p

lol : (I had to sig that ;))

YEah I think the lighting could be improved over all, d1/d2 where bright most of the time, when they said it was spose to be like classic dom, I was like yes! Large, open hallways/areas with lots o monsters for me to unload on, instead, you go thru and the monsters jump out thru the steps and shit like that, damn, that is a cool effect, but, damn, I want the largeer areas where you can just go to town and you have to fall back so you don't get killed.

It is a sweet game none the less, but, get rid of the stupid pda and bring back the map!

Ok, I go play some more....

LordBritish said:
The game is too durn dark - turn the lights on damn it and use more colors.

D3 is so damn dark and I can't see what I'm doing half the time.

I liked the colors of Far Cry a lot better.

Come on people its DOOM, not trip to disneyland.

sc0tty8 said:
YEah I think the lighting could be improved over all, d1/d2 where bright most of the time, when they said it was spose to be like classic dom, I was like yes! Large, open hallways/areas with lots o monsters for me to unload on, instead, you go thru and the monsters jump out thru the steps and shit like that, damn, that is a cool effect, but, damn, I want the largeer areas where you can just go to town and you have to fall back so you don't get killed.

It is a sweet game none the less, but, get rid of the stupid pda and bring back the map!

Ok, I go play some more....

The lighting is whats amazing, and give it the creep factor.

Ok, my first impressions are:

Gameplay is OK. Really its just OK, run around a maze and shoot baddies in the head and collect stuff. Nothing to write home about. Sort of like how I hated UT2003 and loved UT2004, its gameplay that makes or breaks a game for me. I must play more to fully experience it, but its not as good as it could have been.

Graphics are nice if a lot darker than I was expecting. Haven't we got past the idea of having dark games? It is the genre, horror and scary, but I can imagine its hard for LCD people to see most of the detail. Interesting how you don't really need to crank up the AA or AF to get detail. A few too many pointy heads in the game, its really crying out for TruForm.

Sound is great, lots of effects, really really well done, even on my crappy audigy1.

Multiplayer is weak, I mean comeon people just have to admit the idea of being locked in a maze with 2V2 maximum is just not as appealing to a large audience. Some people do like "storming the beach" with a half dozen of their buddies in co-op mode. Doom3 6+ man co-op assault against the monsters, now that would make the game a multiplayer winner in my book.

Overall I'm hesitant to give it a rating (because I don't want to be the first guy to say Doom 3 is not the best game ever made.)

Well you must admit the graphics are top notch, especially at Ultra High Quality (just more small details added). There is a certain amount of bordem once you get used to being scared of fast moving fire throwing nine-eyed monstors. Other then that, 8.5/10 GG I.D.

ZenOps said:
Overall I'm hesitant to give it a rating (because I don't want to be the first guy to say Doom 3 is not the best game ever made.)

Well, I’ll be that guy then :D

id has never been much of a great single player game developer. They create awesome game engines but not great games like Raven does for example.

Graphically Doom 3 is amazing and is the closest to realistic graphics that I’ve seen in any game so far. I can’t wait to see what other companies do with this engine. However, the gameplay is like what people described here: linear and very shallow with no real innovation or depth. It would be cool if they added a little RPG element into it like in System Shock 2.

So bottom line, if you want a great looking game, play Doom3. If you want awesome gameplay, play System Shock 2. Either way, both will make you poop your pants :D

I played for about 5 hours last night. I thought it really was suspenseful and nerve wracking, at least for the first couple hours. After a while you get a sense for how the designs are and can anticipate things pretty easily. Still, there are just too many way cool things to count.

To the complaints of it being too dark, I disagree. I'm not sure if people have their gamma set incorrectly, or are using LCD's, but it looks really good to me. The colors are rich and varied, and the levels are super detailed. A lot of the machinery is just cool to stop and watch. Sure there are dark places, and lights go out, but that's just pure atmosphere. Most of the time the lighting is not really that dark.

I played multi for a while last night as well. The first time you see and hear an opponent on bezerk, you'll just say -that's just too fuckin cool-. It's fast paced, and I was surprised how much fun it is. Still, the maps are real mazes, and I miss the feel of doom2 1 vs 1 death match. Doom2 map 1 on skill 5 was just too much fun 1 vs. 1.

There doesn't seem to be much in the way of dedicated servers, so all the games I played were with guys hosting off their cable or DSL. It was playable, but not the greatest. It'll be nice when there are a lot of dedicated servers available.

As for performance, it rocks. I'm playing at 16x12 high quality, on my p4/3.0C @ 3.5, 6800GT @420/1.13, 1 gig PC3200. The frame rates are like butter, and I'm not feeling any significant drops in fps. It looks really awesome. I tried moving up to ultra high quality, at 1024x768 and it looks nice, but not as good as 16x12 high quality, but the frame rates are pretty smooth. I tried 16x12 ultra high, but it does pause to swap textures. In between the pauses, it feels very smooth, so it would seem to me that a 512meg version of the GT would handle it just great. Still, there didn't seem to be any apparent difference between high quality and ultra high quality that I could see. I don't play a game to analyze the textures. Oh.. and I looked at the performance meter after playing ultra high quality and memory usage peaked just at 1 gig, so it would probably need more than that for a really great frame rate.

I have an Audigy 2 ZS with Klipsch Promedia 4.1. I had to uncheck the box in the Creative driver to "link" the speaker setting to the control panel. Then in control panel, I changed it to "surround" and all was well. Sounds awesome..

In all, I'm pretty happy with the game. I agree with a lot of the points made, with the reference to HL, and the simple find key unlock door stuff. I wish the game play could have been more innovative. But then, Far Cry was essentially that too, right? It looks like it's up to HL2 and STALKER to break out of those molds. Doom3 is a super dressed up key hunt, but at it's core, that's all it is. Hopefully next time, they'll take all that amazing tech and put it to use in a complex and immersive game.

Oh.. and the game is remarkably bug free, at least on my system. It's rock stable. That's an achievment onto itself.

sc0tty8 said:

SNIP

It just reminds me oh so much of classic HL :rolleyes:
Eh, Half-Life was cribbed from System Shock and the original Doom. The whole "save the world thing" has been done in games for thirty years. Who's really complaining?

Lord of Shadows said:
I think being on mars is part of the logic behind that.

that makes no sense at all....what the mars air changes your color?
the sun is different?..
same sun earth has

sc0tty8 said:

You make it seem as if Doom is a total ripoff of Half-Life. The more you look at the original games and the more you understand how it was HL feeding on the Doom games.

Well, supposedly on mars the atmosphere filters out a lot of the ultraviolet rays, letting in a majority of red-infrared. So ya, they would all be pale. But the people do look kind of plastic to me, even with that explaination. A lot of the outdoor scenes are red/shade of red, which is annoying to me. Unicolour landscapes just don't do it for me. Sort of like UT2004 ONS-Redplanet, its like I'm playing in a black and white movie, but instead of white its a black and red movie.

Carmack has always had this colour issue (even in Quake I thought the entire game was too reddish-brown) tends to make me think he or his development team is partially colourblind.

theelviscerator said:
that makes no sense at all....what the mars air changes your color?
the sun is different?..
same sun earth has

If you read some of the e-mails or listen to the voice recordings they talk about how the longer they stay there thier skin starts turning grey...they are basically in a cave...that's why their skin is grey...it's supposed to be that way...

To all of the people who think the game is boring and repetitive...come back and tell me what you think once you've reached Hell...that's when the game really picks up...:)

^eMpTy^ said:
If you read some of the e-mails or listen to the voice recordings they talk about how the longer they stay there thier skin starts turning grey...they are basically in a cave...that's why their skin is grey...it's supposed to be that way...

To all of the people who think the game is boring and repetitive...come back and tell me what you think once you've reached Hell...that's when the game really picks up...:)

You don't read the e-mails and listen to the voice recordings...you WILL miss stuff.
:D

Hell, all FPS are like HL. They all have a secret lab that is conducting experiements. Then bam, something goes wrong and everyone turns into a mutant.

HL
Doom (all of them)
Riddick (somewhat)
Farcry

probably a lot more.

I feel the game should have had more open terrain...does it ever go into the outside?
I am getting used to nice big open maps to play multi on with 32-64players !!...this has not much of this :(
yea I know its doom but still I had a greater time playing farcry the first time! i am sorry to say....farcry has it all in my opinion.open outside maps...never ending horizon....inside tunnels with broken doors/switches/dark corners and other doom stuff.
I guess I am a bad person but doom3 has been a letdown so far!
M

Staples said:
Hell, all FPS are like HL. They all have a secret lab that is conducting experiements. Then bam, something goes wrong and everyone turns into a mutant.

HL
Doom (all of them)
Riddick (somewhat)
Farcry

probably a lot more.

Staples if you include Doom in your list you have to say that all games are like Doom not all games are like Half Life :)

Doom bringed the story to the fps games Half Life integrated the story into the fps games.

Half Lifes story isn´t very much more advanced than Dooms simple story really. It was merely how it was represented that made people remember HL story better than Dooms.

Back