Doom 3 prep: Do you have surround sound?

Do you have surround sound/what type?

• I have 4.1

Votes: 78 24.2%
  • I have 5.1

Votes: 136 42.2%
  • I have 6.1 :)

Votes: 15 4.7%
  • I have 7.1 :D

Votes: 12 3.7%
  • I don't have surround sound :(

Votes: 86 26.7%

• Total voters
Funny story here ... I've just recently finished my new Home Theater, and managed to talk my fiance into letting me build a new PC for an HTPC (money is a little tight, it took some ... convincing :)). Anyway, in the back of my mind, all this construction was so that I could play D3 and HL2 on a kick ass system. So now, I will be enjoying them on a 50'' Sony LCD, with a 6.1 surround sound system, and a nice machine that can easily run it. hehe I love my fiance.

Got my z-640's (not the best, but not the worst) on my nforce2 board. Should sound pretty good.

Klipsch promedia 5.1 hooked up to my audigy. I fell in love with 5.1 sound while plaing Morrowind. I've been enjoying it in Thief III lately, too.

Don't have surround sound anymore :( Was Klipsch 4.1's but the preamp cable is messed up and getting it to work properly is an act of frustration. Plus I'm too lazy/broke to get it fixed or get a new set of speakers. So, headphones for Doom 3.

Just a note, 7.1 is simply 6.1 with a duplicate rear surround channel. There are no 7.1 surround certifications. But since Doom 3 only supports 5.1 Dolby Digital, it won't matter.

Seraphim974 said:
have a Denon AVR-1804 receiver with 600 dollar B&W fronts (602s) and sony surrounds. 65" mitsubishi HDTV which i have just now thought of hooking doom 3 upi to. anyone know if svideo would suffice from computer to tv? else i will just have to stick to my 19" flat screen mitsubishi monitor.

Don't use Svideo. That will turn your HDTV into a plain old 480i. You have to use component unless your tv supports DVI input.

Stereophile said:
I normally use headphones for gaming. I'm trying to decide if it's really worth bringing the computer into the living room to hook up to the 5.1 stereo.
I just bought a set of Klipsch Promedia GMX D-5.1's and will most likely be bringing my computer to the living room, but according to Mister_X These aren't exactly what i should be using.. so i'll be using Sennheiser PC-150's for doom 3 for now while i sell the kip speakers to prolly get a pair of z-680's

Right now I have 2.0. I'm using an old (1988) Pioneer receiver hooked up to two bookshelf style JBL speakers. It really sounds great.

I'll probably add two more multimedia speakers behind me, somewhere, so I can get quad sound (4.0) for Doom 3.

-HM

Audigy 2 to my 7.1 Receiver
1500 watts of power to 14 speakers
400 watt 15" JBL subwoofer bridged with a quad 8" JBL with another 300 watts
47" HDTV with DVI

You bet your ass Im ready ;) The house shakes playing UT04, cant wait to hear that door opening from behind me and freak me out in D3 :D

Z-680's and god I love them. . . . except for when I'm not using them and I hear that damn HISS

Audigy 2ZS out to Yamaha receiver, going to Polk Audio speakers. Wouldn't have it any other way.

the@ntipop said:
Don't use Svideo. That will turn your HDTV into a plain old 480i. You have to use component unless your tv supports DVI input.
I took a look at the back of the TV and it has the white rectangular DVI input but in the manual it says that it is not necessarily supposed to be used with personal computers. It wouldn't mess anything up though would it?

Also, a quick question about doom3 sound if anyone cares to answer it......Will Doom 3 have a new sound engine that will encode some sort of dolby digital 5.1 on the fly? Is this the new sound engine that is being talked about? If so that would be extremely cool.

Mine:
hometheater.JPG

Denon AVR3803
BW DM601 (4s)
BW CC6
Velodyne VA1012x
etc
needing a new Samsung DLP and Samsung DVI upconverting DVD player ummmm

DruSi3r said:
Mine:needing a new Samsung DLP and Samsung DVI upconverting DVD player ummmm

I got the Samsung DVD-HD931 (HD DVI DVD Player) and I love the thing. now if only DVD's would catch up.

well, I can either play it on my puter speakers, which are only some older cambridge soundwork 5.1's, or I can hook it up to the home theater, which would be disgusting.. :D the home theater has 1250 watts going to the sub alone, so uh.. yea.. that could be fun..

but, the only problem is I don't have component outs on my puter to get it hooked up the the sony 65-XBR... so, guess it's time for a new vid card..

But, on another note, can someone confirm what another person already asked? Is Doom 3 doing a software dolby digital encoding???

that's the only way I see them putting out in dolby digital without needing everyone to have soundstorm..

I also wonder if there will be an option to use soundstorm as well to take off some cpu overhead and make the MCP do some work..

Well I do have 4.1 but I only use the front two speakers. Too many wires to use all of them. I just use some headphones for games. I have adopted this policy about 6 months ago. I probably should get some better ones though. I have the Sennheiser PX200 which are great but their small speakers are only able to cover most and not all of the sound spectrium.

I like the Zalman headphones. Keeps the wife from complaining about noise levels. They are built to last.

Klipsh ProMedia 4.1 & Audigy 2 Platinum.

Until the PM 5.1 Ultra's come down in price, 4.1 is perfectly fine for me. :)

FPS said:
does anyone have any experience with those zalman 5.1 headphones

Zalmans here. Excellent headphones, worth every penny. I thought my normal headphones rocked for surround sound, these blow those away. The only thing they don't have is a boom mic. </me grabs the dremel> They will soon!

I dont have 5.1 on my pc , i have 4.1 ... but going to try and do some doom3'ing on my tv via tv-out and audio via my Opitical out setup to my reciever....

I am thinking of picking up the Creative T5400 5.1 speaker set . Does anyone have these and if so, how is it?? Would love to hear a mini-review or opinion on them if possible!

Also, I plan to use it with an Asus A7N8X Deluxe. Do I need a separate daughter board for it to work with it or do I simply plug it into the existing Speaker connector? Does it only require one sound connector?

129519.jpg

Klipsch 4.1's and Beyer DT770 Pro headphones. Might make a run across the border and pick up a set of Ultra's, but the markup is just absurd on them domestically.

I also have Klipsch 4.1 so I will use those. Also got Platronics DSP-500 USB headphones. I will try Doom 3 with those too. I just love base, but my fellow apartment dwellers don't, heh. Oh well. I will pick up my Doom 3 at about 12 noon, go install it after that, and most likely wait until night time to play it. I want to be in the darkness with this game. I want Doom 3 to scare me!! WOOT!

HD497 here, best immersion for the buck IMHO. I hate speakers, they die too easy (in my experience, sound has always caused me the most problems when it comes to computers). At least with headphones I can take them on the go. :)

I'll be hooking my computer up to my rediculous theater setup (a real-deal Sony SDDS 8 channel system) on Tuesday night. I'll see how it works with that (probably too much for the game).

I would like to know how many people are able to enable SURROUND SOUND in Doom3 once they get their hands on it (and what system specs they have).

(I've heard some rumors that it does'nt work... at all.. with Audigy 2)

When I try to enable surround sound in Doom 3, it says surround sound speakers not found. I have the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum with Creative Labs FPS2000 Digital speakers hooked up to the digital audio out (minijack) from the audigy. I get full surround in Half Life and Counter Strike, but Doom refuses to recognize the surround. Windows and Creative drivers have it set to 4.1 speaker setup. Anyone know what's going on? VERY frustrating

Altec Lasning 251 - 5.1 Surround Sound ---- A game that supports 5.1+ and is scary = GOD!

Back