Doom 3 Impressions Thus Far or Yet another Doom3 Thread

Stanley Pain

2[H]4U
Having installed Doom 3 earlier today, I've been playing it for the better portion of the day :D. I have it set to the hardest difficulty (Vetren I think, because Nightmare wasn't available :( ).

First thing I have to say is that I'm VERY impressed with how this runs on my system (see specs below). I'm running doom3 @ 1024x768, high quality settings, 4xAF. I very rarely notice any significant FPS drop (I'm not bothering to run FRAPS because then I'd just keep my eyes glued on the FPS counter and not enjoy the game).

So far the action has been pretty damn intense, and the graphics just absolutley jaw dropping. The animation of the characters are very fluid, and the effects drool worthy. Story line seems pretty decent so far (nothing spectacular, but did you expect much from a doom game? :) ).

The sound, ambience and atmosphere is down right freaky. Playing on both a 5.1 system as well as some headphones this game will have you looking around thinking something is breathing down your neck. My only gripe is that if I use my onboard sound (SoundStorm, optical out to receiver) the sound gets crackly/garbled after a while. This doesn't happen if I use the Revo for sound output.

On a side note, I wanted to see how CPU bound this game is on my system. I downclocked my system to 2.0Ghz (200x10) and gave it a go. Much to my surprise I didn't really notice a difference. There where just a couple of places where it stuttered a bit (lots of texture loading would be my guess).

In any case, well worth the purchase. Remind me to thank my buddy @ Best Buy :D

MCRAYGSX said:
Whats the Spec of ure system ?
Read his sig:

AMD Athlon XP 1700+ @ 2.5Ghz (1.8v) !!(220x11.5) - Abit NF7-s - ATi Radeon 9700 Pro - 3 x 120GB 2x200GB - 1x100GB - Revo 7.1/SoundStorm

Sparky said:
Not everyone can see sigs. I for one cant.
That's because you have them turned off. The default is to have them on, I do believe.

Question, what to play DOOM 3 on:

Athlon XP 1800+
512mb DDR PC2100
Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb

or

Centrino 1.3ghz (I was told to get correct speed you multiply by 1.5x)
640mb DDR PC2100
Radeon Mobility 9000 32mb

^ my lappy

Well I installed it around noon sunday and have to say I'm totally blown away. I expected it to be good, but I never even imagined it was possible for a FPS to be this good.

Looks awesome w/ AA at 1024 and medium settings on my Athlon XP @ 2.2ghz on OC'ed 5700Ultra w/ 1gb ram

For some reason the jaggies on doom stand out a lot more to me compared to other games. I think its because of the lighting.

And speaking of the lighting... there is nothing else made by humankind that even comes close to the lighting or overall graphics of this game. "Half-what?" is all I have to say...

Back