Doom 3 for MAC!

sigmend

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.aspyr.com/games.php/mac/d3/

First thought that came to mind was "finally"
The system requirements are a little high, and will leave my PB in the dust. Lucky I have a Dual 2Ghz G5 :D
I am going to have a hard time waiting for this to come out

Discuss

I've been wanting to upgrade my ATI 9600 Pro 64Mb card for a while now. Here's my excuse !!! Come on ATI, release that X800 for the Mac sooner... :D

Why not just get the 6800GT? Chances are it will be better for Mac OS X, too...

Oh, and this will run on my 233MHz iMac, yes? :D

Black Morty Rackham said:
Why not just get the 6800GT? Chances are it will be better for Mac OS X, too...

Oh, and this will run on my 233MHz iMac, yes? :D

ATI has MUCH better Mac support then NVIDIA, the control panel works better imho

Black Morty Rackham said:
Why not just get the 6800GT?

Besides the fact that you CAN'T??? Still 3 weeks out according to Apple.com. I'm HOPING that the newly announced ATI X800 Mac edition might be out soon. The X800 only takes one slot also. The cooling on the 6800 takes a second slot.

Honestly... im a little doubt about my G4 dual 1.25.... just because of the graphics card.. :rolleyes:
:(

That looks sweet as hell
... and wow, those screenshots are awesome. How well do you think this sucker would run on a 1.5Ghz G4 PB with 1.25GB of ram?

<edit>fixed typeo</edit>

James Crivellone said:
ATI has MUCH better Mac support then NVIDIA, the control panel works better imho
How?

In general, ATi Drivers suck compared to nVidia... especially in OpenGL.... I can't see ATi being anything special on the Mac when challenged by an nVidia card that isn't flawed like the FX series was.

I don't really know what that means, but it's odd. Do they produce different results?

Anyway, that page has a lot of benchmark results for the 6800U, and... well... it doesn't seem to have such a solid advantage over the 9800Pro as it does on the x86 side of things.

jeffbax said:
How?

In general, ATi Drivers suck compared to nVidia... especially in OpenGL.... I can't see ATi being anything special on the Mac when challenged by an nVidia card that isn't flawed like the FX series was.

ATI OGl does not suck, its gotten a hell of a lot better.

When I do go G5 I will be running an ATI something, I hate how the 6800 is the only high end mac card right now

James Crivellone said:
ATI OGl does not suck, its gotten a hell of a lot better.

When I do go G5 I will be running an ATI something, I hate how the 6800 is the only high end mac card right now
Its gotten better, but it still can't approach nVidia.

Why hate the 6800? Its the best card you can get, you should be happy its available.

The only question is why don't these new cards give the boost they do on x86 on the Mac.

The only question is why don't these new cards give the boost they do on x86 on the Mac.

Chances are ATI are better at Mac drivers... but that doesn't really make much sense, since Nvidia have much better *NIX support than ATI. But I'm still betting it's a driver thing. ATI have made Mac cards much longer than Nvidia... Anyone has some other theory?

Oh, on a similar note... Here are some benchmark scores for 10.3.5 vs 10.3.6. It's nice to see Apple finally starting to take care of the OpenGL performance issues...

yeah almost ever game for pc is on mac these days. I love playing DC on my dual g5 at work and my powerbook when im on the road!

Dont waste your time/money. Doom 3 is terrible, and is crushed by Half Life 2 in every way that matters.

Wouldn't it be kick-ass if Apple decided to start porting game engines (like Source) and license them to the various Mac porting companies?

They are porting every game! Aspyre is owned by EA Games! So every pc game they offer will be for mac (if they sell well on pc) Evetually they will all be hybrid releases!
Most are hybrid relelases now!

wonder if the popularity of the mini is going to get game dels into the habit of PC/Mac releases on the same disk, the way they did with Quake 3 Gold?

Would be nice if they did Battlefield 2 on the G5.

Back