doom 3 expansion 12.99

piscian18

[H]F Junkie
I couldn't find it in their ad but I was at target this morning and doom3 expansion was temperarily reduced to 12.99 . this is in louisville ky 40205

I didn't really like Doom 3, but for $13, I can't complain. I will go to Target and pick this up.

D3 was awsome, and it's about time I pick up the expansion, so thanks for the news on the low price.

This is what it should have cost from the beginning. ;)

I think it's rediculous that companies charge ~$35 for a 1/3 of the game.

The Quake II free expansion that was released yesterday is pretty nice. Although I will probably pick this up today as well. $12/$9 isn't bad at all.

LOL. I love how Doom III was going to be the sex. Game of the year, best game evar made, pretty graphics. Preordered a year before release. Now everybody hates it.. :eek:

is it really that bad of a game? I never had the pleasure of playing it. I was going to buy it + the expansion, but if its that bad, forget it. I'm loving HL2 ever since compusa had them for 19.99. That was the first time I even got to play that title.

doom 3 can essentially be boiled down to what previous id games are: an engine with a game thrown in there.

Basically it's just a bunch of monster in the closet BS. You walk around a very dark base (with weapons that have no flashlights on them; nice future we live in) while monsters spawn all around you, especially behind you and in places that are very difficult to dodge attacks.

The expansion is hilarious. Basically they took innovative parts from other games (gravity gun from HL2, bullet time from Max Payne, etc.), incorporate them poorly, throw in the double-barrel shotgun and hope for the best.

The sad thing is that beside HL2 and BF2, there's not a whole lot else to play these days, FPS-wise.

I wouldn't recommend spending too much money on any id product until they realize they actually have to make games to throw in with their engines.

hikeskool said:
Basically it's just a bunch of monster in the closet BS. You walk around a very dark base (with weapons that have no flashlights on them; nice future we live in) while monsters spawn all around you, especially behind you and in places that are very difficult to dodge attacks.

The "monster in the closet BS" you're referring to is part of the game's roots. If you ever played Doom or Doom2, you'd remember walking down a corrridor with one or two imps or grunts to keep you occupied, until you hit a hidden switch then monsters spawn in, or walls drop, and you have to fight your ass off to stay alive. That was what made the original game so much heart pounding fun. The element of surprise.

DevilDoc said:
The "monster in the closet BS" you're referring to is part of the game's roots. If you ever played Doom or Doom2, you'd remember walking down a corrridor with one or two imps or grunts to keep you occupied, until you hit a hidden switch then monsters spawn in, or walls drop, and you have to fight your ass off to stay alive. That was what made the original game so much heart pounding fun. The element of surprise.

OK.

That was all fine and dandy before there were better FPS around. In the day and age of Half-Life 2, Far Cry, Raven Shield, and other amazing shooters, designing a game based on gameplay from ten years ago does not impress me in any capacity.

From what I understand from the majority of other FPS fans, not too many others were impressed either.

The first few times they popped out, it was kinda scary. Then it got repetitive, I would know exactly when something was going to pop out. Oh and if you really want to test the games AI, get an imp to attack you and crouch under some stairs. They won't know what the hell to do.

R8DERHED5150 said:
is it really that bad of a game? I never had the pleasure of playing it. I was going to buy it + the expansion, but if its that bad, forget it. I'm loving HL2 ever since compusa had them for 19.99. That was the first time I even got to play that title.

No, Doom3 is not a bad game, it's fun as hell. If you would enjoy being terrified and panicked while playing a game with the lights out and sound up loud, then you would love Doom3.

Few people whine/complain about Doom3, but those that do in this forum, whine/complain again and again and again, like a scratched record. So the few seem like more individuals, which is what they are trying to do. Either the whiners didn't like the game for the hardware requriements, or they were scared and won't admit it.

Overall, only you can be the real judge. Filter out the bitching of a few, give it a try, and see if you enjoy it like the majority.

Badger_sly said:
Either the whiners didn't like the game for the hardware requriements, or they were scared and won't admit it.
Or they suck at FPS and are newbs and lose everytime and get so frusterated from dying that they quit. :D

Badger_sly said:
No, Doom3 is not a bad game, it's fun as hell. If you would enjoy being terrified and panicked while playing a game with the lights out and sound up loud, then you would love Doom3.

If your'e scared to play peek-a-boo Doom 3 will scare you to death. If you get bored at someone poping out yelling Boo! every 3 seconds from the same place, Doom 3 will make you cry, then mad, then cry again.
Is there a Doom3 demo?? I forget, but download the demo, play 5 minutes of the game, then just repeat that 100times. You will have the full Doom 3 experience since there is nothing new throughout the entire game.

S1nF1xx said:
Is there a Doom3 demo?? I forget, but download the demo, play 5 minutes of the game, then just repeat that 100times. You will have the full Doom 3 experience since there is nothing new throughout the entire game.
Welcome to the world of every RTS, MMORPG, FPS, and simulator game in the industry. ;)

Doom 3 has been and always will be a game about monsters jumping out of dark places. All of these jack offs who didn't like it should have known that before they loaded the game.

The only half-way scary part of this game and its expansion was when there was an imp behind a small stairwell and there was some strobelight lighting effect and you could only see the outline of the imp. And yes, the AI is fucking solid. Yes, it really does harken back to the original's roots.

Badger_sly said:

Few people whine/complain about Doom3, but those that do in this forum, whine/complain again and again and again, like a scratched record. So the few seem like more individuals, which is what they are trying to do. Either the whiners didn't like the game for the hardware requriements, or they were scared and won't admit it.

Overall, only you can be the real judge. Filter out the bitching of a few, give it a try, and see if you enjoy it like the majority.

It's pretty much the consensus. Most reviewers said that Doom 3 is a "pretty good game with amazing graphics" but extremely repetitive and completely unoriginal. It's the re-telling of the original story for God's sake. id couldn't even crank out another half-assed attempt at a story to go with their game engine.

Yes, my hardware is anywhere but cutting-edge, but I did run the game at a constant ~50 FPS, which is what I would call "playable".

Too scared to play it. The majority enjoyed it. That's fucking rich.

wiretap said:
Or they suck at FPS and are newbs and lose everytime and get so frusterated from dying that they quit.

Don't think I'm even going to address this. The game is about as challenging as setting my couch on fire.

wiretap said:
Welcome to the world of every RTS, MMORPG, FPS, and simulator game in the industry.

I can't really support this statement. There are unique and special games out there in every genre. id was in a magnificent position to make a game that is truly special and an asset to the genre. All they did was shovel generic shit in the face of the public and hoped they'd swallow it.

This hurts me to say it, but Halo is a more original and entertaining concept. At least Halo has David Cross. I can't wait for the Doom movie, by the way. What a shitshow that's gonna be. How appropriate is it that "The Rock" is the main character?

I could have left this well alone but then the expansion came into the discussion. It's a joke. I couldn't stop laughing when I received my "ionized plasma levitator" (read: gravity gun). Again, the makers of this expansion were put in an extraordinary position to make a unique game that will sell well regardelss of its quality due to its house name. My God, then I saw I was able to do bullet ti...err, I mean slow down time but retain my original movement speed, I almost died. What a complete joke. I almost stopped playing it right then on principal.

There are good games in every genre. Half-Life. No One Lives Forever. Raven Shield. Warcraft III. Alpha Centauri. Deus Ex. Guild Wars. Jedi Knight. Falcon 4.0. Max Payne. Rome. Shogo. Splinter Cell. Links. Total Annihilation. Rise of Nations. System Shock. Tron. Worms. Evil Genius. Battlefield. These are all, undeniably, very, very good games that added to their respective genres. I can't say with any degree of objectivity (or subjectivity, for the timid and those with the inability to present valid arguments; see above) that Doom 3 added to the FPS genre. Hell, even Prey, which has been around since like 1998 has a more promising premise. The game's not even out yet.

Blown 89 said:
Doom 3 has been and always will be a game about monsters jumping out of dark places. All of these jack offs who didn't like it should have known that before they loaded the game.

This argument is all but invalid. Times have changed. Since the days of System Shock 2 and Half-Life people expect more of games. For a couple years there, games actually got a little better. Then this game "Halo" came out and everything quickly reduced to shit again. Please, when you play FPS like I do, and you have a reasonable sense of logic and lack the ability to be entirely wowed by "shaders", "antisotrpic filtering" and other shiny things, in-game or otherwise, it's very easy to recognize a good shooter from just another Halo and Doom clone. I hate shitty, low-brow shooters like Doom because it exploits gamers by making them think that thier work is the apex of what gaming should be. It's a complete and utter joke. I am so tired of people crooning over new graphics engines when there is absolutly no game content to back it up.

A "traditional" shooter? What the fuck is that? You know, for several years it was tradition to only have white people play professional and collegiate sports. Yeah, that worked out really well, didn't it? The only "traditional" shooter worth a damn is Serious Sam. Hordes of monsters and big guns. At least Croteam acknowledged they lacked the financial resources to license a high-tech engine and the development process to deal with complicated storyboards, artists, and writers. id actually hired someone to write the Doom "story". Yeah. At least Croteam realized its game was a novelty of sorts (but still quite entertaining) and went from there. id can't even admit (or worse) even realize their games are substandard in every facet save graphics.

Is this what we've been reduced to, apes that point and jump up and down when they see something "pretty"? It's very sad, because it's true. The standard of FPS is slowly declining. I don't play games like Doom 3 because, quite simply, they insult my intelligence.

Do we even need to get into Doom's nonexistant multiplayer?

hikeskool said:
Please, when you play FPS like I do, and you have a reasonable sense of logic and lack the ability to be entirely wowed by "shaders", "antisotrpic filtering" and other shiny things, in-game or otherwise, it's very easy to recognize a good shooter from just another Halo and Doom clone.
Spare us the soap box routine. I'm going to venture a guess that I've been playing FPS since before you knew what a computer was. FPS games bore me these days and I took Doom for what it was and relatively enjoyed it. FWIW I think Halo is horribly overrated pile of garbage and I didn't enjoy it one bit. Does that make it a bad game? No. See that's the great thing about opinions, they don't mean jack shit. The fact is that Doom was a very highly anticipated game that millions of people enjoyed. Unfortunately there are nerds on the internet who take gaming WAY to seriously and feel the need to trash threads like this which were never intended as places for geeks to vent their pent up frustrations from a full day of getting stuffed into lockers. Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that this forum was intended to post about deals, not for people to cry about video games.

hikeskool said:
doom 3 can essentially be boiled down to what previous id games are: an engine with a game thrown in there.

What did u expect did you ever play any other dooms? They said it was gone be Doom and thats what it was.
:rolleyes:

Blown 89 said:
Spare us the soap box routine. I'm going to venture a guess that I've been playing FPS since before you knew what a computer was. FPS games bore me these days and I took Doom for what it was and relatively enjoyed it. FWIW I think Halo is horribly overrated pile of garbage and I didn't enjoy it one bit. Does that make it a bad game? No. See that's the great thing about opinions, they don't mean jack shit. The fact is that Doom was a very highly anticipated game that millions of people enjoyed. Unfortunately there are nerds on the internet who take gaming WAY to seriously and feel the need to trash threads like this which were never intended as places for geeks to vent their pent up frustrations from a full day of getting stuffed into lockers. Maybe I'm wrong but I was under the impression that this forum was intended to post about deals, not for people to cry about video games.

God I love the hypocrisy. Where to begin...

Defaming a "soapbox routine" by starting one yourself. Real cool.

You enjoyed Doom 3, relatively. Relative to what? Usually you'd have to compare your enjoyment of Doom to another game. But then again, you're pretty confident you've been playing FPS before I "knew what a computer was", so I'll let that slide. Another good one.

Your defamation of Halo really only supports my (correct) argument that it's extremely simple to make a FPS that will sell very well yet is, by modern standards shared by people who can actually recognize good games (see my above semi-list), a complete and utter insult. Thanks for the support.

You're right, Doom was very highly anticipated. I figured "hey, Half-Life and other games have been out for some time, maybe this time id learned a thing or two about making games". Yeah, we all know how that turned out. "Millions of people." Come on. Find me some sales figures of Doom 3 in the millions. "Millions" may have enjoyed it, but these are the same "millions" who thought Dude, Where's My Car deserved an Oscar. These peoples' opinions of games are immediatly made null.

I'm going to go ahead and skip the whole "nerd" fiasco because, as you've proven before, you are completely unable to form a valid argument. This is HardOCP. I don't think you can seriously call someone a "nerd" without being a little suspcious of yourself.

As for the whole purpose of this thread, it is, in my history, the purpose of forums to exchange useful information with others. The specifics of this thread, I believe "R8DERHED5150" asked, specifically, "is it really that bad of a game?". I, an experienced user of this type of product, am assessing its worth and sharing my experience with him and others who would like to know about it. After denouncing the product and thouroughly explaining why it is substandard in almost every way, I took the time to name superior products that are almost all unanimously praised as excellent products.

I assessed the value of this product and made recommendations for alternate purchases. In the words of my brethren who have, in an undoubtable measure of knowledge and worth in this field, have not been playing FPS as long as you have, and, in another extremely objective criteria, have not been using PCs since you have been playing FPS, "kthx". Re-read that if you have to.

I'm really trying to find what, if anything, there is in your post that is of any use to anyone whatsoever. Let me know if you find anything.

Thanks.

hikeskool said:
Where to begin...
You can begin by taking your comments elsewhere. You don't like the game, we get it already, take your comments to the gaming forum where they belong.

You enjoyed Doom 3, relatively. Relative to what?
Obviously to other games since that is what this comparison is about. You should have been able to put that together, this exchange is in English.

Your defamation of Halo really only supports my (correct) argument that it's extremely simple to make a FPS that will sell very well yet is, by modern standards shared by people who can actually recognize good games (see my above semi-list), a complete and utter insult. Thanks for the support.
That's absolutely hilarious considering that you're doing the same thing to Doom. I have news for you, people don't share your opinions, it doesn't make anybody right or wrong.

You're right, Doom was very highly anticipated. I figured "hey, Half-Life and other games have been out for some time, maybe this time id learned a thing or two about making games". Yeah, we all know how that turned out.
Judging by the sales records Doom 3 set I'd say ID did more than learn a thing or two :rolleyes:

"Millions of people." Come on. Find me some sales figures of Doom 3 in the millions.
"Todd Hollenshead
id Software | CEO | Nov 4 2004, 18:31:43 (ET) | [email protected]
We've recently received word that DOOM 3 has already sold over 1 million copies at retail! A huge "Thank You!" to all of the fans out there who have purchased a copy of the game."
http://www.bluesnews.com/plans/6/

"Millions" may have enjoyed it, but these are the same "millions" who thought Dude, Where's My Car deserved an Oscar. These peoples' opinions of games are immediately made null.
Nice, because they like something that you don't they are automatically dubbed as idiots whose opinions don't matter :rolleyes:

I'm going to go ahead and skip the whole "nerd" fiasco
Strike a nerve?

As for the whole purpose of this thread, it is, in my history, the purpose of forums to exchange useful information with others.
Then give your opinion and move on. Like I said, there's a gaming subforum that's tailor made for your childish game bashing.

I'm really trying to find what, if anything, there is in your post that is of any use to anyone whatsoever. Let me know if you find anything.
I thought the same thing when I opened this thread looking for a good deal on a game and saw your comments. Ironic.

the game is worth playing through once....thats about all i enjoyed it for.
i havent run through the expansion yet though - got caught up with HL2 and the FEAR demo.

domoMKIV said:
the game is worth playing through once....thats about all i enjoyed it for.
QFT.

I loved Doom 3, thought it was a great suspenseful game. But when I beat it, I had no desire to go back through it. 'course, the ending was still better than HL2's...

Blown 89 said:
You can begin by taking your comments elsewhere. You don't like the game, we get it already, take your comments to the gaming forum where they belong.

Obviously to other games since that is what this comparison is about. You should have been able to put that together, this exchange is in English.

That's absolutely hilarious considering that you're doing the same thing to Doom. I have news for you, people don't share your opinions, it doesn't make anybody right or wrong.

Judging by the sales records Doom 3 set I'd say ID did more than learn a thing or two :rolleyes:

"Todd Hollenshead
id Software | CEO | Nov 4 2004, 18:31:43 (ET) | [email protected]
We've recently received word that DOOM 3 has already sold over 1 million copies at retail! A huge "Thank You!" to all of the fans out there who have purchased a copy of the game."
http://www.bluesnews.com/plans/6/

Nice, because they like something that you don't they are automatically dubbed as idiots whose opinions don't matter :rolleyes:

Strike a nerve?

Then give your opinion and move on. Like I said, there's a gaming subforum that's tailor made for your childish game bashing.

I thought the same thing when I opened this thread looking for a good deal on a game and saw your comments. Ironic.

We're still going, I don't know why, but we are. Oh well. If he really feels the need, I will continue.

Blown, until you get a little thing under your name that says "Moderator", I'll post wherever I God damn please, thanks.

You still havn't named any other games that you are "relatively" comparing doom with. Again, I posted suggestions for better games, whereas you have named none.

Except there are people who agree with me, some in this very thread, if you'd care to look. Just because someone tells me to go and buy the new Lil' John "joint" as soon as it "drops" because it's "phat wicked sweet, yo" doesn't mean I should buy it. This person clearly doesn't have a grip on what good music is. The same is true with gaming. If you can seriously tell me doom is as good as those other games I mentioned after playing the demo, you're not a well-versed gamer. Even if you have been "playing FPS before I knew what a computer was".

You know what, id learned more than they had to. id learned that they can make a substandard game and make money off of it. That's all they needed to learn. Nevermind the rash of clearly better games being released around it. Le's take a look at a game released close to doom and is comparable in tech specifications, like, say, Far Cry. Easily, a much, much more complete and much more innovative game. Better gameplay, actual AI, real wepaons that aren't the sterotypical "doom weapons", and a great setting with amazing graphics. Multiplayer wasn't spectacular, but it sure beats the hell outta doom.

Undoubtedly, doom sold better. I don't need to go find out. Despite being a worse game by all standards (except maybe graphics), doom sold better. It's these same theater patrons who enjoyed Dude, Where's My Car who think doom is a "great game that gets back to gaming's roots!". Guess what? There's a reason games have 3D engines now. It's so you can build dynaminc environments that escalate further than walking up stairs. It' s almost funny. Aside from that crane/transport dealy, doom 3 really did go back to its roots. I'm talking flat levels with stairs (and some ladders thrown in) and some portals here and there. I was extremely surprised there weren't three empty slots in my HUD for a red, yellow, and blue key. Take a look at HL2. I couldn't picture a more interesting array of level design and interactivity. First, there are actual NPCs who do more than talk to you. Second, the weapons have some degree of originality. Third, the game environement has things like gun emplacements and turrets that can be manipulated. Oh, that and real NPCs that actually affect the story and make it interesting. And voice acting and a decent, albeit incomplete story (expansion forthcoming).

So where does that leave us. Pretty much back to where we started. doom is a game that yes, plays just like its predecessors, except without all the nostalgia and low system requirements. See, I'm confused. I don't really know if id actually tried to make a good game or if they were just fucking around with a graphics engine and decided to throw some imps in there for good measure. I'm honestly not sure what they were doing. Sure, the engine looks great; most all id games do. But that's no longer enough.

I'll apologize. I said I'd skip the whole "nerd fiasco", when in fact I didn't. I did explain it. That's a literary technique. When you give something attention after saying it's not important, what you're really doing is emphasizing to other (usually, and in this case inept and oblivious) party that his argument in that subject is entirely moot and unimportant.

Watch carefully. I'm about to employ the same technique. You may call this "beating a dead horse". That's OK, maybe this time you'll get it. I don't play shitty games. I don't watch shitty movies and I don't read shitty books. As such, I certainly don't endorse them. I can't in good conscious recommend anyone playing this game when there are so many other, much better games out there. I guess that makes me a "nerd". First and foremost, I'm a little curious why someone who is not a "nerd" is on Hard fucking OCP. Yeah, I'm nerd, but at least I'm not in any kind of denial. Let's see: I get good grades, I study alot, I like to help people with their computer problems, I enjoy golf, tennis, long distance biking, parties (with alcohol and women), etc.

This may strike you as odd, but it is possible to be a "nerd" and interact with society on a normal level as well. For someone who enjoys doom, I can see how this might be hard to understand.

OK, let's take stock of our position here:

Once again, I have cited examples as to why doom is not a good game and should not be bought by anyone.

Once again, I have cited a product that is a better replacement for doom.

Once again, you have done little to shed any productive light as to the value of this game, why it's so good, etc.

And that's the best part here. It was pretty easy to spot from the beginning, when you proudly proclaimed "I've been playing FPS since before you knew what a computer was". You like the game so much almost entirely because it's an id product and it's "the next doom". You really havn't provided any other reason as to why the game is so good and worthy of purchase. Furthermore, you havn't shed any light on the expansion whatsoever.

You proclaim, quite staunchly, might I add, that "Doom 3 has been and always will be a game about monsters jumping out of dark places. All of these jack offs who didn't like it should have known that before they loaded the game."

See, I didn't know that. I assumed that maybe in the ten years or so that have passed since the original came out, id would possibly look around and see what other games have accomplished and slighlty alter their plans for doom to better fit the more advanced age of gaming we live in. They did not. In true id form, they made a graphics engine and placed a game in there.

Perhaps the funniest thing about id games is the word itself, "id". Back in the day when Quake was "OMFGGG teh raddest game evar!!1!!!!!!11!!one!!1!!!1!!", the true meaning of the word "id" was immediatly apparant. This is true of doom, but much less than in Quake, for sure. Doom "introduced" FPS, and Quake took them online. Huge steps, no doubt, and id is credited for them. But if you look at it, these are all elementary functions of the genre. Games were going online at some point, it was only a matter of who was going to do it first. I can't say "id" stands for anything anymore. Whatever shred of this word was left over after Unreal Tourney and Tribes cleaned up Quake III's mess is firmly dead and gone after today's games have surpassed doom 3. In my opinion, id has nothing left to stand on. id has to prove to me that they're still worth a damn. If Carmack built fucking rockets for the rest of his life and never made another game I'd be perfectly happy.

OK, if that cretin blown hasn't scared everyone else off, here's the bottom line:

doom is a traditional id game. It's simple, but will keep you occupied for a couple days. Don't expect the multiplayer to be worth a damn. If you want to play a "traditional" id multiplayer game, doom 3 and its expansion are not it. If you want a multiplayer fix, go get Battlefield 2, Unreal Tourney 2005 or HL2 with all its (free) games it comes with. If you like slogging through dark tunnels and braving the dangers of the lack of a flashlight on your weapon and long load times, by all means, doom and its expansion are for you.

hikeskool said:
We're still going, I don't know why, but we are.
We're still going because you're having a hard time understanding that people are allowed to have different opinions than yours.

This person clearly doesn't have a grip on what good music is. The same is true with gaming.
Good music and good games are games that entertain people and what entertains people varies from user to user.

If you can seriously tell me doom is as good as those other games I mentioned after playing the demo, you're not a well-versed gamer.
It has nothing to do with being a "well-versed gamer" and everything to do with personal preferences.

You know what, id learned more than they had to. id learned that they can make a substandard game and make money off of it. That's all they needed to learn. Never mind the rash of clearly better games being released around it.
ID is a business out to make money and they've made millions. When I want suggestions on what games sell I'll listen to the multimillion dollar company that's been in business for decades over some bitter little kid on the internet.

I don't really know if id actually tried to make a good game or if they were just fucking around with a graphics engine and decided to throw some imps in there for good measure. I'm honestly not sure what they were doing.
I'll tell you what they were doing, they were making a game to generate revenue and the game was an absolute hit both with gamers and in their bank accounts. You can overanalyze Doom all you want to justify why you think it's a terrible game but the fact of the matter is that Doom sold millions of copies and made the company millions of dollars. If the game were as bad as you say it is then it wouldn't have lept off the shelves the way it did. End of story.

I'll apologize.
That's ok, we all understand that you're arrogant and thick headed, no need to apologize for it.

I don't play shitty games.
Neither does anybody else....yet millions of gamers clamored over it. That tells me that the majority of gamers don't share your opinion.

First and foremost, I'm a little curious why someone who is not a "nerd" is on Hard fucking OCP.
I didn't know being a geek was a prerequisite to browsing the internet.

Let's see: I get good grades, I study alot, I like to help people with their computer problems, I enjoy golf, tennis, long distance biking, parties (with alcohol and women), etc.
Good for you. Would you like a cookie?

Once again, I have cited examples as to why doom is not a good game and should not be bought by anyone.
Yup, you cited examples of why YOU don't think Doom is a good game.......yet it was a blockbuster. Good games sell copies and entertain people and Doom exceeded all expectations in that regard.

Once again, I have cited a product that is a better replacement for doom.
There are dozens of games that I find more entertaining than Doom...what's your point? There will always be a game that knocks my all time favorite off the list but that doesn't mean that my old favorite is now a terrible game because something better came along.

Once again, you have done little to shed any productive light as to the value of this game, why it's so good, etc.
There's not much to shed. Games are meant to entertain people and it entertained me therefore I think it is a good game and for $12.99 I think it's worth at least checking out.

You like the game so much almost entirely because it's an id product and it's "the next doom".
Not at all, in fact, I hated the original doom.

You really havn't provided any other reason as to why the game is so good and worthy of purchase.
I enjoyed playing it therefore the expansion is worthy of purchase.

You proclaim, quite staunchly, might I add, that "Doom 3 has been and always will be a game about monsters jumping out of dark places. All of these jack offs who didn't like it should have known that before they loaded the game."
Thank you captain obvious. I did in fact say that.

See, I didn't know that. I assumed that maybe in the ten years or so that have passed since the original came out, id would possibly look around and see what other games have accomplished and slighlty alter their plans for doom to better fit the more advanced age of gaming we live in.
It's not our fault that you're an idiot and expected to make a different game and slap the Doom title on it. What did you expect? ID to make a NASCAR game and name it Doom? Don't be bitter because you couldn't figure out what everybody else did.

and braving the dangers of the lack of a flashlight on your weapon
I agree, the dark rooms got old really quick...........that's why everyone who didn't like that downloaded the flashlight mod. Problem solved.

You know what's a terrible game? Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I mean the graphics were terrible, AI was predictable, game play was the same in every stage, the music sucked, the background was the same on every level and it was a remake of another game to boot. Oh the horror :rolleyes:

Blown 89 said:
We're still going because you're having a hard time understanding that people are allowed to have different opinions than yours.

Good music and good games are games that entertain people and what entertains people varies from user to user.

It has nothing to do with being a "well-versed gamer" and everything to do with personal preferences.

ID is a business out to make money and they've made millions. When I want suggestions on what games sell I'll listen to the multimillion dollar company that's been in business for decades over some bitter little kid on the internet.

I'll tell you what they were doing, they were making a game to generate revenue and the game was an absolute hit both with gamers and in their bank accounts. You can overanalyze Doom all you want to justify why you think it's a terrible game but the fact of the matter is that Doom sold millions of copies and made the company millions of dollars. If the game were as bad as you say it is then it wouldn't have lept off the shelves the way it did. End of story.

That's ok, we all understand that you're arrogant and thick headed, no need to apologize for it.

Neither does anybody else....yet millions of gamers clamored over it. That tells me that the majority of gamers don't share your opinion.

I didn't know being a geek was a prerequisite to browsing the internet.

Good for you. Would you like a cookie?

Yup, you cited examples of why YOU don't think Doom is a good game.......yet it was a blockbuster. Good games sell copies and entertain people and Doom exceeded all expectations in that regard.

There are dozens of games that I find more entertaining than Doom...what's your point? There will always be a game that knocks my all time favorite off the list but that doesn't mean that my old favorite is now a terrible game because something better came along.

There's not much to shed. Games are meant to entertain people and it entertained me therefore I think it is a good game and for $12.99 I think it's worth at least checking out.

Not at all, in fact, I hated the original doom.

I enjoyed playing it therefore the expansion is worthy of purchase.

Thank you captain obvious. I did in fact say that.

It's not our fault that you're an idiot and expected to make a different game and slap the Doom title on it. What did you expect? ID to make a NASCAR game and name it Doom? Don't be bitter because you couldn't figure out what everybody else did.

I agree, the dark rooms got old really quick...........that's why everyone who didn't like that downloaded the flashlight mod. Problem solved.

You know what's a terrible game? Mike Tyson's Punch Out. I mean the graphics were terrible, AI was predictable, game play was the same in every stage, the music sucked, the background was the same on every level and it was a remake of another game to boot. Oh the horror :rolleyes:

The quoting out of context. A classic method. Not bad, not bad.

That's fine if peoples' opinions differ from my own. It's just that I can't relly take anyone seriously who honestly believes that doom 3 is a prime example of a model FPS. I guess it's a fundamental difference of character.

Again, with the music. If people want to download Britney, that's cool. I just can't really take them seriously either when they tell me her music is good too.

Sure, personal preferences are important. I don't care too much for RPGs because I like to get right in the action, which is why I like FPS and RTS games. When someone I know tells me that World of Warcraft is a great RPG or that Guild Wars is a great, albeit different game, I'm inclined to believe them. The drones of media reviews that corroboarate that opnion don't hurt either. But if someone comes up to me and says, "man, that Civ game really blows, let's go play Red Alert 2" I can't help but shudder. Here's this cretin in his own world who I don't even want to interact with anymore. A funny anecdote: I'm in EB browsing games while doing some Christmas shopping in 1998. Someone comes up to me holding Sin in one hand and Half-Life in the other and asks me which one I should get. I said something to the effect of, "well, Sin has some fun parts to it, but is pretty much like every other shooter I've played, but Half-Life is a much more complete game which requires a little bit more thought and actually has a decent story and environment". Fucker says he's gonna get Sin. How am I not supposed to gouge out his eyes and stuff low mein in his vacant sockets down by the food court?

id is a business, blah blah blah...I really hope you have a better argument than that to support your steadfast dedication to a mediocre game. Yes, id makes money, and that's great. You know who else makes money? McDonald's. Saddam Hussein. Sweatshop owners. I can't really gauge a company's (a game company at that) worth by how much money they make. Sure, they have all the money they can need, but if they make shit games, they don't really mean much to me.

Take a company like Monolith. Lith started out small, made a few fledgling games that weren't widely accepted, then made some more games that were huge hits. I'd rather play a game with character, humor, and originality like No One Lives Forever 2 than a fucking space station shooter like doom anyday. Hell, Looking Glass perfected that genre about five years ago with System Shock 2, and id can't even take a hint on how to make a better game. Just steal the idea, I don't care. id, call your game System Shock Jew, revamp the graphics, keep the level design and scripting intact, and put a little yarmulka on the heads of the zombies. Throw a few Stars of David in there and it's all gravy.

Your precept that only good games sell is completely wrong. Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo opened this weekend and made a little over 9.4 million dollars. Is it a good movie? Fuck no. The same holds true with games. Halo sold millions of copies also. Is it a good game? No, not really. I really hope you have a better argument for doom 3 than mere sales figures. Let's say your theory holds true. Half-Life 2 is the ninth largest PC title in regards to sales this month, yet doom 3 is no where in sight. Yet the best indicator of how well a game sells is how long I see it on the shelves of my local Wal-Mart. The original Half-Life is still there (not in the bargain section, mind you), and has more copies available than Doom 3 or its expansion. "Millions" bought the game. Millions did not clamor over it. Pick a side to the argument, either way you're fucked.

Again, you'd have to have already bought the original doom 3, which is probably around thirty bones these days, and then buy the expansion to play it, which all together is about $45 shipped/after tax, which will buy someone a better game, or two or three. Given how painfully average these two products are, I fail to see how this is a good deal in any respect.

And hey, given your three hundred some odd posts, I'd say you do a little more at HardOCP than mere "browsing". But hey, why would I ever think anyone who has been "playing FPS since before I knew what a PC was" be a nerd? Again, how is this relevant?

Continue covering your ass by calling me "bitter", "arrogant", "thick-headed", "idiot", and "some bitter little kid". I personally find it amusing. Why would you resort to name-calling if you could hold a rational argument? Can you please present a rational argument, please? You state that this expansion is a good deal because it's cheap. Most of the games I mentioned a few posts back are over a year old and are as cheap or cheaper, and will continue to be cheap, unlike this "deal".

I don't mind if you quote me, as it gives you another opportunity to see how wrong you are, but please don't do it out of context. All it does is make your attempts at a rational argument even more futile when I have to rehash my statements which you chose to cut and paste to suit your own deperate attempt at rationality. Don't insult me with the Nascar reference. All I expected id to do is maybe look at hit games that have proven themselves unique and possibly alter their game design. id did not. Believe me, I "figured it out". They completely rehashed the older game. I wasn't sure what to think, but that's all pretty much irrelevent because the game isn't that good to begin with. I don't care why it's a dissappointment so much as it simply is a dissappointment, you know?

And the punch out example. Again, I'll thank you for proving my point. I'm going to assume you're defending punch out, even though no one in their right mind would produce an 8-bit 2-buttoned console game in 2005. There are better, uh, boxing games out there. I'm told Fight Night is pretty good, but I've never played it. I see the same thing in doom 3. The game has very little going for it save the engine. The play is linear and boring with almost no variety. How you disliked the original doom and love doom 3 is a mystery to me, seeing as they are essentially the same game, except with jumping, new graphics, and a carryable flashlight. That's another thing. I shouldn't have had to download an add-on to be able to use a weapon while seeing in the dark. In fact, if you played the game from start to finish with this mod, your perception of the game is skewed because you didn't play it as most of the "millions" who bought it played it. id didn't even have to come up with many new monsters, except spiders with human heads on them that jump at you in the dark.

It's really easy to compare doom 3 to the original games. I mean, id pretty much did it for us. I could not, in good conscious, call the original doom a good game today if it was released exactly as it was made then today. Pretty much all that's changed is poor multiplayer and a new graphics engine. I don't see a big change. At least back then a game like doom was "acceptable", if that's what you'd call it. Today it's an insult.

seigejet said:
Getting back on topic, that's a pretty good deal :p

haha

Ya, I just picked up doom3 off ebay for $14 shipped so I'll see if i can run to tarkets tomrw and get this or $13 =)

d3ktrix said:
haha

Ya, I just picked up doom3 off ebay for $14 shipped so I'll see if i can run to tarkets tomrw and get this or $13 =)

I can't advise against this enough.

hikeskool said:
I can't advise against this enough.

Wait, you don't like it?

Dude, if you can't tell..... you are being extremely annoying. Please stop. I'm not even reading your novels but my wheel finger is getting tired.

hikeskool said:
The sad thing is that beside HL2 and BF2, there's not a whole lot else to play these days, FPS-wise.
Painkiller and the expansion were pretty bad ass. ;)

Puterguru said:
Painkiller and the expansion were pretty bad ass. ;)

Painkiller was an OK game, a little easy, but still not bad at all.

I can appreciate that the game is just a Serious Sam-esque shoot 'em up, that it doesn't take itself too seriously. I also liked the fact that the expansion did not require the install of the original, if I remember correctly.

If you guys want to get a moderator to lock this thread, I wouldn't mind too much. Don't expect much until that point, however.

Back