Doom 3 BFG Edition Ported To HTC Vive

I will never be in VR till theres a full dive.
Still like doom 3 or doom new one on PC

That looks great, but I agree with you Megalith, I think motion sickness would be a real problem. Maybe you would also need a crash helmet to save your head when getting startled by a monster !!

It was the slowest-moving Doom in terms of actual player speed...maybe this would not be too bad in VR?

Might try it later. I'll do it on an empty stomach just in case. Just have to download the game off steam and see about the patch.

That looks great, but I agree with you Megalith, I think motion sickness would be a real problem.

The part you missed, is that it uses the "Onward" style of locomotion.

If you haven't heard about Onward, here is a good article on it:
http://uploadvr.com/onward-college-dropout-vr-shooter/

There are a lot of people, that usually experience sim sickness, that do not experience it with Onward for some reason. There are still people that do, but for some reason it just works for most.

I'm really looking forward to trying this Doom 3 BFG mod, and Onward once my Oculus Touch controllers arrive and get supported.

And on the topic of locomotion and sim sickness, it really is a funny thing..

Back when I had my DK2, and played Alien Isolation - I first tried it with an Xbox controller. The first time I tried to turn with an analog stick, I nearly lost my lunch instantaneously. I couldn't even put my headset back on until a day or two later. Once I had the courage to try it again, I did so using keyboard and mouse controls. For some reason, using the mouse to turn didn't make me feel nearly as bad. I attributed it to either the wrist / hand movement or maybe that it was because I had my hands on something stationary that my brain could use as an anchor to my actual physical orientation. After awhile, I would still start to feel out of sorts and would have to stop though.

After owning the CV1 since release early this year, I find I don't get sick nearly as often. So I think for most people, "getting your sim legs" really is a thing. If you are new to VR, start with the more comfort rated titles and work your way up from there. If you start to feel ill, stop. Also Ginger / Ginger ale really does help.

The part you missed, is that it uses the "Onward" style of locomotion.

If you haven't heard about Onward, here is a good article on it:
http://uploadvr.com/onward-college-dropout-vr-shooter/

There are a lot of people, that usually experience sim sickness, that do not experience it with Onward for some reason. There are still people that do, but for some reason it just works for most.

I have a fairly iron stomach when it comes to getting nauseous. I can handle Onward locomotion for the most part (or at least, for a decent period of time), but eventually even I start to get a little queasy. It's just the disconnect in movement between your body and your eyes.

For me, what helps is trying to only move in the direction that my eyes are facing. If I try to move sideways or backwards while facing forward, it triggers nausea pretty quickly. One time I tried strafing around a staircase while going up/around and only facing forward...yeah, not doing that again.

Regarding the whole "trackpad locomotion" versus teleportation, there is a fairly large divide in the VR community right now with people who either refuse to buy games that don't have trackpad locomotion because they dislike teleportation, or who refuse to buy games that don't use teleportation because of nausea. The best compromise is obviously to have an option for both, but not all games really support that mechanically.

Back