Doom (2016) on a laptop via Steam in-home streaming

• Thread starter Deleted member 82943
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 82943

Not sure if this needs to go into a sub-dir of the gaming thread but has anyone done the above: stream an AAA game via Stream in-home streaming (DOOM is the only game I care about) to a laptop on an AC wifi connection?

So the windows PC with a 980ti or better connected directly to the router which would then hopefully stream to the laptop connected by AC wifi.

What has been your experiences?

If this doesn't work, it's not the end of the world I can just place the box in my office and game when not programming but I'd like to keep it in the family/tv room and leverage the bigscreen.

As long as your signal is good, you should be fine. I've streamed Witcher 3 @ 1080p to my HTPC in the living room with a ~100 Mbit link rate, but you should be much better off.

i don't have the networking kung fu to do that - thanks for the vote of confidence on the inhouse option

I would think it ought to work, but it's not without limitations. Even over a gigabit network, with really fast PCs on both ends, I could tell that it was streaming from another machine. There's a minor, but noticeable, input lag, and some compression artifacts, and I think the audio is limited to just stereo.

Edit: Also, not sure about Doom 2016, specifically. Being an OpenGL game, I could maybe see it not working, but this is supposed to be one of the killer features of SteamOS and the SteamLink, so I'd assume they have this figured out, at least on Linux.

I do in-home streaming on a NUC, and its decent. over a wired 100Mbit connection, the video quality is smooth and fluid. About the same as Youtube 1080p. I played MGSV (a much slower, more strategic game than Doom) as well as Rocket League, Trials Evolution, Sonic All Stars Racing, and others. The streaming adds ~1 or 2 frames latency over what the game already has, and with DOOM, the latency (or lack thereof) is crucial, so, results may vary? The issue with the latency is NOT the network connection, it's actually the encoding speed of the source.

The gaming machine doing the encoding will be a e5 1620v2 on a p9x79 with a 980ti probably - if it sucks i'll just pull the machine into the office and play there

but i do, very much so, appreciate the feedback as it helps temper my expectations - nothing sucks more than being let down by tech when one's hopes are really high

For a single player shooter it should be fine, I've managed to play a few shooters with steam in home and it worked great. Like others have stated there is a small input delay but you get used to it, just don't expect to be competitive in multiplayer cod or counter strike lol

Any chance you can use powerline ethernet? I have a Steamlink connected over powerline and the experience is pretty impressive. Some macroblocking on the video feed in dark scenes, but I would compare it to watching a medium bitrate x264 encode of a Bluray, definitely better than YouTube video quality. There's a bit of input lag but it's fine for single player games, I played 185 hours of Witcher 3 via Steam link/Steam controller and it was amazing. The picture quality of my plasma TV is superior to my desktop display which helps.

Any chance you can use powerline ethernet? I have a Steamlink connected over powerline and the experience is pretty impressive. Some macroblocking on the video feed in dark scenes, but I would compare it to watching a medium bitrate x264 encode of a Bluray, definitely better than YouTube video quality. There's a bit of input lag but it's fine for single player games, I played 185 hours of Witcher 3 via Steam link/Steam controller and it was amazing. The picture quality of my plasma TV is superior to my desktop display which helps.
Yes you can, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read the steam link is only configured for a max of 60mb/s lan so as long as your lines are good it will be fine. Power line is finicky though, many things make the difference between getting 20mb/s and 100mb/s

Yes you can, I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I read the steam link is only configured for a max of 60mb/s lan so as long as your lines are good it will be fine. Power line is finicky though, many things make the difference between getting 20mb/s and 100mb/s

Yep, the quality of wiring in your house, circuit configuration of where the router is to where the Steamlink is will impact it. I got lucky and hit 90-115mbit/s on my powerline with almost no latency and it's consistent. Steamlink's ethernet port is 100mbit I believe.

Yep, the quality of wiring in your house, circuit configuration of where the router is to where the Steamlink is will impact it. I got lucky and hit 90-115mbit/s on my powerline with almost no latency and it's consistent. Steamlink's ethernet port is 100mbit I believe.
Ya the biggest thing with power line is having the circuits close as possible. Try and keep them at least on the same phase or even better on the same circuit breaker. Also avoid any motors or anything else that causes an inductance.

Host is a 1620v2 980ti win10 latest drivers on Ethernet

Client 2013 MacBook Pro in wifi-ac

Video quality is ok I guess but I get video artifacts and audio that is spotty.

How do you guys stream to another computer? I only know of using steam link
If you have two computers running steam on the same account (on the same network) it will link the two together and allow you to stream between eachother.

If you want to get more advanced you can use a vpn and have streaming anywhere you go. I use open vpn to remote to my home network and it allows me to stream games to my work laptop if I want. It really works for single player games though since doing this adds 40-60ms latency to everything

I tried RAGE on a crappy i3 ivy bridge 13 inch sony laptop the day after Valve updated Steam. Even as a latency snob, I was impressed. It really did work, even on wi-fi.

My HTPC is just a bare G3258 with an ssd stuck in a nifty small case that runs Ubuntu. It's not a gaming machine even if a sizeable amount of the titles I own have ports. I've been streaming split-screen racing games over ethernet with great success. In that regard, it's worth mentioning that moving to 1070 on the "host" somehow fixed a few minor compression issues. Could be something else, though. Don't take my word for it.

Just make sure ports are open and it'll work on its own if two or more steam instances are running in the same network. You can either play the game locally on each machine or stream it. The options needed are there.

While it is great, I wouldn't recommend playing Doom like that. It's really not a great choice.

Back