Doom 2 Remake In Unreal Engine 4

Looks cool...but why is everything always so "shiny" in the Unreal engine? It's like they go nuts with the specular mapping on everything.

Looks cool...but why is everything always so "shiny" in the Unreal engine? It's like they go nuts with the specular mapping on everything.

UE4 uses a "physically based materials" system, which takes a different approach to specularity than simply defining a specular map. I'd suspect that a lot of the shiny demos for UE4 haven't completely mastered how to use the roughness and metallic parameters. Creating good looking "dirty" metals is not trivial.

Yeah, I prefer the highly reflective look, as EVERYTHING in real life is reflective, but a piece of metal should not look like a mirror.

There is a difference between diffuse reflections and specular reflections, however.

There is a difference between diffuse reflections and specular reflections, however.

Well, in effect those two are just manifestations of the same thing, but in reality everything has speculation reflections and everything has albedo diffuse reflections.

gameplay looks fine but graphics look way too shiny and plastic, kind of like chronicles of riddick.

No sound effects or music except for the gun? Never realized how much something like that would bother me.

The imps look like they're made out of clay. :D Still, for an early project, they're progressing ok.

Back