Doom 2: Hell on Earth Teased for E3 2018

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Bethesda Senior Vice President of Marketing Pete Hines has apparently hinted at an announcement for a sequel to 2016's DOOM. Gadgets360 is reporting that Hines stated that E3 is "hell on earth" for Bethesda, leading some to believe that this is a reference to the original Doom 2: Hell on Earth from 1994. With the success of 2016 DOOM, I have no doubt that there will be a sequel, and just like every Doom game before it, I will be upgrading my PC for it's release.

“I couldn’t give you any guesses as to what we’re going to announce and when those games will be out. But I will say, we have a lot of new stuff to talk about at E3. Whether or not folks realise it, this is the hell on Earth time for us with E3. We are in the midst of so much planning and work for all of that content but I’m really excited.”

Doom 2016 was nearly flawless when it was released. In an age of day 1 critical patches for nearly every game released, they really bucked the trend. Bethesda made only one mistake... they farmed out the multiplayer and it turned out to be horrendous. TBH, I don't care if Doom II (2019) doesn't include any multiplayer whatsoever.

I'd like to see the glory kills maybe dialed down a little too. It makes a great demo, but a few hours in, you're kinda sick of it and just want to shoot things more fasterer.

I'd like to see the glory kills maybe dialed down a little too. It makes a great demo, but a few hours in, you're kinda sick of it and just want to shoot things more fasterer.

And make them not part of the missions for a stage (for completionists.. I stopped trying because of these + a glitch where one would never complete regardless of what I did, unrelated).. I find them annoying/tedious to do. Should just be there for fun!

Ugh still working on the last one, scoping a utube vid on how to kill the spinning flaming fkr (please no tips thx). I guess the boss trick thing wore out and the multiplayer review above by cap is dead on.

->Ready for a new one.

Last edited:

Funny, im a huge doom fan, but never got this one because the glory kills put me off from the get go, when they were showing the demos.

Found it childish.

And no, im not criticizing anyone that like it, it just made lose all interest in the game.

What a surprise, still remaking the same thing over and over again for doom. They have already remade the first game twice, guess at least they finally moved onto Doom 2 to change it up some instead of remaking the first one yet again.

I wasn't a fan of Doom 2016 Arena. Maybe Doom 2: Hell on Earth will have a campain thats not quite arena based like 2016 but more vivd like the original.

I thought the glory kill system was childish and unnecessary at first, but even after 20 minutes of gameplay I 'got it' and wouldn't have it any other way. I love ripping apart those bastards with my bare hands.

Oh gawd yes, please let this be fucking true. Can't wait for more awesome idTech 6 + Vulkan goodness. Doom 4 was so fucking good that I purchased it after beating the whole game using my friend's copy (at which point I had put 24 hours into the game) because I just had to own my own copy. 200+ hours later, I'm still playing the game regularly. I have yet to even touch the multiplayer. I give no shits if they leave it out next time.

Not sure about all the hate for the Glory Kills, you don't have to use them, and they worked out well when combined with the rune that gives you a speed boost (which I think was called Blood Fueled, I forget exactly). I would use the Glory Kills to activate the speed boost, it became part of the gameplay flow/combat flow. I wasn't busting out Glory Kills left and right, I would use them strategically for keeping up my momentum with the speed boost.

how dare you.
Legit ruined the game for me. Instead of demons dieing when you shoot them half the time they would strobe and dance while regening health. Thankfully someone eventually made a mod to remove it from the game and i enjoyed the game so much more without them.

Legit ruined the game for me. Instead of demons dieing when you shoot them half the time they would strobe and dance while regening health. Thankfully someone eventually made a mod to remove it from the game and i enjoyed the game so much more without them.

To each their own, I'm glad you were able to find a mod that allowed you to enjoy this awesome game.

I can’t wait. Only PC game I played in two years. I even bought a 480 for it. Lots of fun

Amazing news! Doom 2016 is my favorite recent game to date. I still play it constantly, there is just nothing else like it. I hope they actually make a good multiplayer this time or at least a coop mode. And no i don't consider snapmap as coop because the creations are trash imo.

I was totally amazed at how well 2016 played and looked. Even more so when I tried Vulkan on both rigs(nvidia) and it too ran great. It was too cool to set to utlra/hell settings and my TI could still hold ~144 fps with the game looking its best. In 4k 60fps was no problem either. So much fun!

I honestly feel the particular studio behind this for Bethesda should make all their games. It's night and day compared to my experiences with the newer non-modded skyrim and fallout games. If this happens it might actually be a day one for me.

I would be okay with a setting to either remove them entirely, or just remove the strobe lights on them when they were able to be glory-killed. But I enjoyed them so I wouldn't want them to remove entirely.

I would be okay with a setting to either remove them entirely, or just remove the strobe lights on them when they were able to be glory-killed. But I enjoyed them so I wouldn't want them to remove entirely.
There already is an option to remove the glory kill highlight in the first game.

Oh my. The new Doom, 2016 is not great. I have all of ids stuff, bought full price, on release, up to Rage. I quit doing that after that awful game. I have a friend with the new Doom and its not impressive. I won't buy it until its under $10.

I have about 1000 wads for the Doom and Doom2 games and they are amazing. I have played wads with 20 cybers. The H2H Mudfest competition stuff is just stunning. The new one is very much meh.

I've not seen someone who liked the real dooms say "meh" about this one. What turned you off?

I ask as someone who still has the DOOM 1 floppies I ordered the second it was possible, still play the original with my son quite a lot. The new one is not the same of course, but to me it "feels" much the same - running at high speed smashing demons, and there's some plot or something somewhere but who cares because shotgun.

And yet, nothing, the new doom included, matches or comes close to that unbelievably satisfying moment in the first doom when you get the shotgun. Imps which required a lot of bang bang bang now receive BOOM, fly backward while a really pleasant pump action reload occurs.

I am a competitive skeet/trap shooter, and my god that shotgun spoke to me. :)

I've not seen someone who liked the real dooms say "meh" about this one. What turned you off?

I ask as someone who still has the DOOM 1 floppies I ordered the second it was possible, still play the original with my son quite a lot. The new one is not the same of course, but to me it "feels" much the same - running at high speed smashing demons, and there's some plot or something somewhere but who cares because shotgun.

And yet, nothing, the new doom included, matches or comes close to that unbelievably satisfying moment in the first doom when you get the shotgun. Imps which required a lot of bang bang bang now receive BOOM, fly backward while a really pleasant pump action reload occurs.

I am a competitive skeet/trap shooter, and my god that shotgun spoke to me. :)

I'll have to play it to know but from what I've seen its insanely forgiving on UV. Nightmare should give us accelerated monsters at least. I hate being locked into fucking animations and I don't like the whole gory kill crap. Just watched a guy on Ultra Nightmare and it does not look hard to me.

I picked up Doom 2016 Day 1. First game in a *long* time I had done that with. Why? The scene where Doom guy punches the damn monitor while Dr Exposition keeps babbling. That's when I knew that this was a real Doom game, and the devs knew exactly what I was here for. :)

Looking forward to HoE, if that's true!

If the single player campaign had a fraction of the enforced arenas then I'd appreciate it more.

I much prefer bfg edition doom the best.

ANY game named Doom will always be a day 1 buy for me. The Playstation 1 version is still my favorite (better music and sound FX than PC) but Doom 3 and the 2016 Doom were superb as well. I can't wait for this one.

I'll have to play it to know but from what I've seen its insanely forgiving on UV. Nightmare should give us accelerated monsters at least. I hate being locked into fucking animations and I don't like the whole gory kill crap. Just watched a guy on Ultra Nightmare and it does not look hard to me.

While it's certainly not the hardest shooter ever made, I must have died at least a hundred times during my first run. Each time with a huge goofy smile on my face. You see, it's FUN dying in this Doom game. The monsters are relentless and WILL follow you almost everywhere. The weapons and movement are incredible and the action happens naturally. Especially with the air control rune.

What I am saying is that watching some random noob on youtube is nothing like flying around with 120+FPS while gunning baddies. You've never played anything quite like it.

If the single player campaign had a fraction of the enforced arenas then I'd appreciate it more.

I much prefer bfg edition doom the best.

Ugh. You should try the Last Man Standing mod for Doom 2004. Best coop ever. What the BFG has is 120 Hz, though. Visually it's way down on the original game. Aaaand they ruined some of the RoE maps

Back