Don't Mine Cryptocurrency on Government Computers - Australian Edition

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
It appears that the Australians learned nothing from the Russians that we wrote about last month. ABC News Australia is reporting that two employees from the Bureau of Meteorology are being investigated by the Australian Federal Police for allegedly running an elaborate operation to mine cryptocurrency on the bureau's computers. Federal police executed a search warrant on the headquarters last week, and questioned two employees.

Once again, if you're going to do anything shady at work, you have to make sure the boss is in on it. Either that or just don't use work equipment for your own personal gain.

"One possibility is that they're trying to use some of the equipment that the Bureau of Meteorology have. The Bureau of Meteorology has some very fast computers. Another possibility, though, is that they're just trying to get the Bureau of Meteorology to pay for the electricity. Mining is a very electricity-intensive task and they probably didn't want to pay for it themselves," said Dr Berg.

Now, I'd think the common corporate policy of our systems, our product would apply here as well. So any coins mined would effectively belong to the BoM.

That is of course if they haven't been traded/exchanged already, which would probably fall into the category of the landmark case of Finders v. Keepers, Losers, Weepers.

This is a beautiful headline, I laughed in front of a lot of strangers. If there's free processing power, why shouldn't they use it? It's going to waste if they're not. Bitcoin is based on sweet technology and is objectively better than conventional currency. /s but crypto is a very good idea when implemented correctly. Of course people are trying to capitalize off it and are causing volatility but I feel that if capitalism is in place, crypto is the way to do it. Using government equipment without getting the government involved is a terrible idea though. Whoops.

This is why you only use computers that are off the work network to mine. Just connect them to a mobile hotspot using your own router and no one is the wiser.

BOM computers are also connected to military departments, so I'd imagine they'll be pretty keen to prosecute. RIP.

This is a beautiful headline, I laughed in front of a lot of strangers. If there's free processing power, why shouldn't they use it? It's going to waste if they're not. Bitcoin is based on sweet technology and is objectively better than conventional currency. /s but crypto is a very good idea when implemented correctly. Of course people are trying to capitalize off it and are causing volatility but I feel that if capitalism is in place, crypto is the way to do it. Using government equipment without getting the government involved is a terrible idea though. Whoops.

well it's like they say, there's a sucker born every minute. i remember when btc were $0.50 a piece. (if only i could go back in time) but it was never suppose to level out at $1000 but being the feds confiscated so many it made them scarce and it's supply and demand so it's actually the feds fault that the market is where it''s at. and they don't give a f0ck because it's not only making black marketers and criminals richer theyll be richer too when they auction them off. but i guess they fall under the criminal section of my last comment...

Back