Don't Like Windows Update in 10?

Hmm, a tool that hooks deep into the system and downloads updates bypassing Microsofts code. Interesting indeed.

It's about the definition of something I would strongly advice against for a windows user unless their own mom made it and promised nothing extra is going to get sideloaded.

The problem is MS's current update system is truly borked, they just pushed out another update that screws up your pc and causes endless bootloops. And this is after the fast ring testers reported it was a bad update, they still pushed it.

Hmm, a tool that hooks deep into the system and downloads updates bypassing Microsofts code. Interesting indeed.

It's about the definition of something I would strongly advice against for a windows user unless their own mom made it and promised nothing extra is going to get sideloaded.
Even if there is no malicious intent, these kinds of tools that circumvent the regular behavior of something has the potential to break stuff at every update, because MS changes something, and suddenly the tool no longer works as intended.

The problem is that people even have to consider using third party apps to make Windows 10 bearable.

The problem is that people even have to consider using Windows 10.

FTFY... just kidding but I couldn't resist because that really is the problem, after all. :D

You can get your original options back like Windows 7. Go to the Computer Configuration>>>>>Administrative Templates>>>>Configure Automatic Updates

The problem is MS's current update system is truly borked, they just pushed out another update that screws up your pc and causes endless bootloops. And this is after the fast ring testers reported it was a bad update, they still pushed it.

Yea, two of my four systems got stuck in the bootloop and another friends system got it too.

What the hell is wrong with the Windows division? Everything has been steadily going to shit since 2012. Did all the talent leave/get forced out during the 2012 power struggle?

Why are you people even bothering with 10? Roll back to 7 (or even 8, if you must). Stop pumping up their 10 numbers.

I've experienced the boot loop upon upgrading on a number of client's machines now.

Got a machine here that upgraded and somehow deleted the entire user profile.

I've experienced the boot loop upon upgrading on a number of client's machines now.

Got a machine here that upgraded and somehow deleted the entire user profile.

How do you manage to have things happen that most do not experience. You must be like my friend and get strange problems all the time.

They must have put that boot loop bug into the xbox one update too because mine green screened for the first time in two years while applying an update. The error message that something went wrong had a build number that looked exactly like windows 10. Luckily my office pc didn't get stuck but I've worked on 4 systems that did. Thanks for the tip on this tool OP!

Seems kinda sketch...

On major geeks it lists author as Misterx.

In his own post, its credited to stupiduser at random russian forum.

I like the idea, but that seems VERY sketchy. WU is busted, but I don't hate it enough to risk something like this.

Even if there is no malicious intent, these kinds of tools that circumvent the regular behavior of something has the potential to break stuff at every update, because MS changes something, and suddenly the tool no longer works as intended.

With Microsoft borking PC's in every major update, and now endless bootloops after an incremental update that they didn't even bother to test before pushing out despite warnings and feedback, if anything these third party tools are needed to protect against Microsoft making Windows "no longer work as intended".

It's no wonder people are abandoning this perpetual beta OS and it's actually begun to lose marketshare while Windows 7 has gained.

I would be happy if you could color Microsoft Edge which is why I'm still using Firefox for the past two years.

The people at Microsoft must have their programmers on coffee break for a solid year if they can't even offer themes for their mainstay browser.

And just think next week on October 8 both Win 7 and Win 8/8.1 move to the rolling release updates like Win 10 and you have no option to not install certain updates. That'll be so much FUN!

Further simplifying servicing model for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

Good lord..

Steve
August 16, 2016 at 8:56 am
“We encourage you to move to the Monthly Rollup model to improve reliability and quality of updating all versions of Windows.”

Does this mean the individual patches will still be available and one can opt to either do individual patches or the Rollup model?

1. Nathan Mercer
    August 16, 2016 at 2:12 pm
    Individual patches will no longer be available after October 2016.

Same here and I still do not run into the same issues you do.

I've got absolutely no reason whatsoever to make up stories. As can be assumed Windows is the most popular desktop OS out there, the updater is flawed, it is by no means perfect, and more often than is probably ideal upgrades bring down the whole OS.

You must be the luckiest tech I know.

It's that simple. I'm by no means interested in arguing or even defending myself over it.

Last edited:
I've worked on a few machines that boot loop after updating either intrabuild or from a previous version to 10. That shit did not happen with previous Windows versions, at least to the amount I am seeing these days. Every single 10 user is a beta tester as evidenced by leaving telemetry enabled which used to only occur with beta builds in the past.

I'm a tech, it's my job to fix these issues.

Same here. We have thousands of computers running Windows 10 and I haven't heard of an update causing a boot loop issue even once.

Then again, we do have test groups set up so in case we do encounter a problem, it will not be a huge deal.

I also have my own computers running Windows 10 as well as pretty much all family member computers running Windows 10 and I have not run into this a single time.

The only real thing that is jacked with Windows update form what I have seen is the crappy driver updates. But it has been like that since XP so I am not one bit surprised that that could be causing issues.

I have driver updates from MS disabled so I don't have to worry about it.

Same here. We have thousands of computers running Windows 10 and I haven't heard of an update causing a boot loop issue even once.

Then again, we do have test groups set up so in case we do encounter a problem, it will not be a huge deal.

I also have my own computers running Windows 10 as well as pretty much all family member computers running Windows 10 and I have not run into this a single time.

The only real thing that is jacked with Windows update form what I have seen is the crappy driver updates. But it has been like that since XP so I am not one bit surprised that that could be causing issues.

I have driver updates from MS disabled so I don't have to worry about it.

Oh well, I must be imagining it then? How odd. :rolleyes:

I've not had a single workstation boot loop on that update, so I wonder how much is real and how much is someone with a Macbook acting like they use a PC.

I've not had a single workstation boot loop on that update, so I wonder how much is real and how much is someone with a Macbook acting like they use a PC.

A Macbook?! What's the relevance here? I don't get it.

Didn't say you are imagining it. I just think that there is something else causing the issue.

Totally agreed,

Un-noticed malware and virus infections making a mess of the update process. If I did a malware scan on every Mum and Dad, grandma and grandpa Windows PC I worked on, I honestly believe 90% of those machines would have some form of Malware infection.

Having said that, it's not the first time Windows has had a boot loop issue regarding upgrades/updates, the last time it happened Microsoft were forced to release a patch to rectify the issue.

Last edited:
Not sure as I don't have a MAC, but it wouldn't surprise me if bootcamp is having issues with Windows 10 and/or the other way around.

The issue affects seemingly random machines, it isn't limited to machines running Bootcamp.

Linux is objectively better, updates actually work.

Unfortunately, objectivity doesn't mean much with OS. It's pretty much all subjective, which is why OSX and older versions of Windows are still popular. Subjectively, Linux is probably the worst.

Unfortunately, objectivity doesn't mean much with OS. It's pretty much all subjective, which is why OSX and older versions of Windows are still popular. Subjectively, Linux is probably the worst.

By definition, subjectively the better OS would be a very personal decision based around the wants/needs of an individual. Considering the ~7% desktop market share of OSX compared to the ~90% desktop market share of Windows I wouldn't really claim that OSX is in any way a popular OS, I also wouldn't go as far as to claim that Windows popularity necessarily has anything to do with the fact that it is in any way a great OS - Rather it's forced into the consumer due to the fact it is installed on literally every brand name boxed PC and laptop ever sold.

You're not going to be able to stay on Windows 7 forever, eventually you are going to have to let go due to forced obsolescence. What are you going to do when that time comes? As Microsoft aren't looking like they're changing their stance on the Windows 10 way of things at all, in fact I'm tipping the situation is going to get worse as time goes on.

[Edit] I'm actually genuinely curious...?

Back