Dont like MW2 on PC, here might be a solution to get your money back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PMildren

Limp Gawd
This is a repost from IW forums by AnonymousDoesNotForgive. Here is the OP link:
http://www.infinityward.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=201266

"This is going to be long, thorough, and 100% effective, so take your time, grab a drink and read through this carefully. I can tell you this has worked on both sides of the Atlantic and will provide a couple of links for you as well, along with valid, winnable reasons to get your money back. I took a lot of time researching this, consulting a couple lawyer friends of mine, and even spoke with Dan Parsons, head of the BBB in Houston, Texas. If the post gets deleted or my account gets suspended, just chalk it up to the social communism the lurking mods are trying to maintain here. This is for people *who went out and bought a copy from a retailer*, I can not in good conscience say this will work for people who purchased through steam (as someone on another forum brought up, Steam can possibly cancel any other game attached to the same account).

I originally posted this elsewhere since IW's forum system apparently can't remember my original account even though I had it send my username/password to me via e-mail. Some of this may be obvious now, but keep in mind, some people still don't know what they've bought because they haven't given it to their kids yet.

I've been reading the IW forums for weeks now and just wanted to point out a few things :

* No parent, who pre-ordered this game back in August, had or has any clue what happened to this game. For all they know, their kids have been asking for it since the sequel announcement and were given the impression that MW2 was supposed to be a simple sequel to MW. - Now think about this; Some of these parents gave the game to their kids, some are waiting till Christmas. Some of the kids may still be ignorantly anticipating this game, still not knowing what they're about to find (rare, but it could happen). Long story short, a lot of kids and gamers in general are pissed off. A lot of kids who had their parents preorder this game are being yelled at to get their money back because in essence, they didn't get what they wanted. A lot of parents are probably pretty upset.

The boycott isn't working. The dev's are twittering because it's the only thing they can do from their new Droid phones on the beaches of Barbados sipping on Mai-Tai's and laughing it all the way to the bank. The petition signers, myself included went this route in good faith to get the attention of the developers. Clearly that isn't working, as we're being mocked by them, rather than addressed by them.

You wanted to hit IW in their pocketbooks by boycotting the game but it was only a small percentile of the total sales figures due to the console sales.

I run an internet retail company for computer parts and the like so what I'm about to tell you is probably the only feasible solution. I have done this and got my money back, EVEN though the store I purchased it from said "no returns on opened software" so take notice.

This method will not only hit IW's pocketbooks, but will ALSO get your point across to the developers. The developers do not care about the individual, so what you need to do is have the RETAILER do the complaining for you. How do you do this? Simple.

---Do a chargeback on your credit or debit card---

Let me elaborate.

If you file a chargeback, make the reason you're filing it "Defective - product does not work as described."
(i.e. bad lag, hackers, no dedi's, constant d/c's ... finding out IWNet was swapped in without your knowing)

What does this mean? It means you're stuck with a product you can't return because the store won't take it back, however it doesn't WORK the way it was intended to. Your credit card company will return the charge back to you and the place you bought it from will have to EAT the charge. So... now IW doesn't lose their money because the RETAILER bought it from them. YOU bought it from the retailer. If you do a chargeback on your credit or debit card, YOU get your money back; IW got paid by the RETAILER, and the RETAILER gets screwed. Now... how long do you think a place like Game Stop will absorb chargebacks before they SUE Infinity Ward for selling them a defective product?

Exactly. IW won't listen to you, but they WILL listen to their avenues of income; meaning their vendors. If enough retailers jump on and complain and start sueing IW for their losses on chargebacks, IW will HAVE to address THEM, ultimately addressing US.

I handle chargebacks at my store ALL the time for the past 8 years, and let me tell you. EVEN if the retailer wins the first chargeback and they recharge your card, they NEVER win the second one. I can't tell you how many times my shop has been double-chargebacked for the same scam. (When I say scam, people would buy things on my online store, then chargeback immediately, and keep the product. When I explain to the credit card company, the customer never tried a return or has never contacted me, I win the first chargeback, but the dishonest customer does a second chargeback, and no matter what I tell the credit card company, the customer gets their money back and I eat the charge. Great system huh?)

Parent's are going to do this just because their kids will complain that they don't want the game anymore; The game they preordered months before they were 'baited and switched'

That leads me to my other point. Parent's will most likely do chargebacks under the pretense of "Bait and Switch" because they changed it at the last second without notifying ANYONE. How many people do you think Game Stop called after this announcement to warn consumers who preordered and thought they had everything taken care of and only had to worry about picking up their game on delivery day? Exactly... zero. And they have grounds to win their claims. IF they lose that first claim, they can file a second one, and 99.9999999% of the time they win it, so the retailer still loses the money.

Initially it will hurt the retailers, but the retailers will eventually not stand for it and sue IW for compensation if they get enough chargeback losses. My company once sued a company called Inno3d for making really shoddy Nvidia chipset video cards. 99 out of 100 were defective and the chargebacks were endless. We ended up settling out of court with the company for a little over 3 million dollars (we're not a massive company but this was a sizable lawsuit).

If a large retailer or two ends up sueing for compensation, think of the press it would get? Since we, the people can't make a large enough noise, let's let a little negative publicity on the news mediums do it for us. Let's make the retailers use their corporate lawyers to deal with IW's corporate lawyers. Turn them against each other, not user against user; Not gamer against gamer, or platform against platform. This goes beyond this... this is simply bad business and we have the power to put an end to it, or put the world on notice with the proper means.

I'm going to wrap this up since it's getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm certain there's going to be some tl;dr's but for those who held on, I've got one more bomb to drop on IW.

So we've determined two viable reasons for successful chargebacks ( and you got to keep the discs! ) and now, the best one.

FILE a complaint to the Better Business Bureau.
http://www.bbb.org

People, you've been lied to, baited, switched and now ignored. All HUGE no-no's in the business world. Again, this is the kind of thing I have to deal with at my company on a daily basis. Remember, keep your complaints respectful when dealing with the BBB.

Oh... and one last thing about the IW forums... all the consolers jumping on the PC forums bashing us for protesting.... remind them to LEARN SOME GAME GENEOLGY. If it weren't for the PC, consoles would have never gotten Call of Duty in the first place. Never settle for less.

Now for you guys in the UK ...

The OFT is where your formal complaints will go after you make your chargeback.

A Link for the OFT : http://www.oft.gov.uk/

Please remember the OFT is not a forum, and is not a group to go into guns blazing. Be an adult about it. Keep your complaint formal, and extremely detailed to better educate them on the situation. These people aren't gamers, so help them help you by better arming them with the facts. The same goes with the BBB."

Really hope this finds some of you alittle better off.

And like a giant throbbing meaty vieny Phallus, the grassroots movement swelled to such a large size as to choke the throat of the IW cash guzzler. Gagging them on their own greed and the gaming world was right side up again. Only to continue to piss down the throat of the unclean of spirit and moral compass. Ok maybe not.

Or you can eBay your copy of MW2 for about $45 - $50 and call it a day.

it's a frigging 50-60 dollars game. There was PLENTY of information out there about what the game was going to have and not going to have.....

This is the stupidest thing ever. Charge backs often come with other consequences that are not worth it. Steam will probably kill your account. Lots of places do this if you charge back. You probably won't be able to use the card again with steam either.

Your best option to get a refund, specially through steam is just constantly tell them you will charge back. They will put up a fight but after a few times they'll just refund the money because charge backs are bad for them as well.

A retailer should take the game back as long as you DIDN'T open it.

People should just start buying games from Sam's club or Costco, they will take them back no questions asked.

Wow, the majority of you talking about Steam didnt even read the post. Thank for playing.

Also, had you read the entire post, you would have realized its not so much about getting your money back as getting IW/Activ to realize they screwed up, by having the retailers sueing IW/Activ for selling a faulty game. Its about getting back at them for producing such a miserable excuse for a product.

LOL wow, is this really worth the hassle?

Good god, get over it.

indeed.

Wow, the majority of you talking about Steam didnt even read the post. Thank for playing.

Also, had you read the entire post, you would have realized its not so much about getting your money back as getting IW/Activ to realize they screwed up, by having the retailers sueing IW/Activ for selling a faulty game. Its about getting back at them for producing such a miserable excuse for a product.

suing for selling a 'faulty' game? dear god :rolleyes:. i don't typically approve of using the 'rolleyes' emoticon, but this post warrants it.

Won't "hit them" in the pocket book because their actual costs for that one DVD and packaging that you bought is probably like $2, if it's on steam, it's a fraction of a cent's worth of bandwidth

Will be negated by the 1000 copies that will get sold around the world for consoles on the same day you do the chargeback.

Please read entire post before replying...this is getting old
"I can not in good conscience say this will work for people who purchased through steam (as someone on another forum brought up, Steam can possibly cancel any other game attached to the same account)."

Also, I understand some of you could care less about MW2 or that you really liked MW2. Congrats, than this thread really isnt for you. This thread is for those that wanted a way to try and hit back. All others remember, (4) No THREAD Crapping in otherwords, if you dont have something constructive to say keep it to yourself.

What sort of financial shape would this economy be in if every time someone was a little displeased with something, they did a chargeback on their credit/debit card, kept the product, and made the retailer eat the cost of it? Isn't that otherwise known as stealing, but just another way to try and justify it?

This wouldn't work because IW announced no dedi servers BEFORE the game released. Just a waste of time. Research before you buy.

The boycott isn't working. The dev's are twittering because it's the only thing they can do from their new Droid phones on the beaches of Barbados sipping on Mai-Tai's and laughing it all the way to the bank. The petition signers, myself included went this route in good faith to get the attention of the developers. Clearly that isn't working, as we're being mocked by them, rather than addressed by them.

Who comes to barbados to drink Mai-Tai? Rum and Coke sir... :eek:

This wouldn't work because IW announced no dedi servers BEFORE the game released. Just a waste of time. Research before you buy.
Exactly. Even though IW and Activision were sleazy about it, and lied in interviews about it, they did announce it a couple weeks before the game was released. Every PC gaming website/forum on the net for weeks now was packed with articles and threads about how IW has screwed over PC gamers with all the things they removed from the game. So people still buy it anyway and want to complain ?

Yes IW sucks and sold their soul to Activision and Bobby Satan Kotick, but those people are also at fault for buying a product without doing proper research first, which would have taken 5 mins at most. I dislike IW and Activision just as much as the next PC gamer, but what that guy is suggesting is fraud.

Parents should not be buying M rated games for their underage children. That alone nulls most of the pre-order talk, and raises some parenting questions as well. As for falsified information, do your due diligence and review the box, and marketing materials. If anywhere did it state it had features which in reality were not readily available in the game, then you may have a legitimate case, if not, then your sol.

If people missed their only method of getting back at IW the legitimate way, then thats their fault. I always say vote your dollar, and NOT buying the game does exactly that. No pity for the ill informed or lazy.

Stop beating this dead horse and let it have some peace.

Most businesses will argue that record-setting sales qualify as "screwing up".

Wrong. He specifically wrote that it applies to people who "bought a copy from a retailer."
No matter which copy you buy, you can't resell it. You buy it, you're done. If you talk to Valve or Activision about it, they're going to go tell you to pound sand.

As far as doing a chargeback is concerned: grow the fuck up.

The game runs and plays great for me. I love it. The only ones that hate it are cheaters.

Everyone knew what it was about before it was on the market.

If people missed their only method of getting back at IW the legitimate way, then thats their fault. I always say vote your dollar, and NOT buying the game does exactly that. No pity for the ill informed or lazy.

This

If you are discussing MW2 at all online there is absolutely NO way you didn't know about the lack of dedicated server support.

This is completely childish. You guys are ridiculous.

I wish there was a way I could do something like this for TF2. That game is completely different from when I bought it and they force me to update it. I filed a complaint with BBB but it went nowhere.

Good god, get over it.

x1000000000000

If people are that butt hurt that they paid 60.00 for a video game, they have a very rough life ahead of them

It is too late. Too many people bought it and now we are going toget hosed even more fluidly than before. Thanks sheeple.

I actually love the game and bought 2 copies, however I am very happy that people have thrown such a fit about this.

Even though it's an awesome game no dedicated servers just flat out blows, and I don't want other game companies doing the same thing, with this much of an uproar I think many developers will at least think twice before implementing a similar system.

It is too late. Too many people bought it and now we are going toget hosed even more fluidly than before. Thanks sheeple.

Crybaby.jpg

Good god, get over it.

lol srsly.

The game has a few features that weren't on COD4 but adds dozens more.

It's fun as hell and players are playing it hours on end...

It's a friggin video game that's there to entertain. It's not here to do your taxes or cure cancer. Seriously - get over it already...

The game has a few features that weren't on COD4 but adds dozens more.

Like host transfers during games, uncontrollable lag, hackers/cheaters that can't be banned by server admins, games with few players (no more 30v30+), no hardcore with 18 (max) players, less recoil (read less skillful), minutes between maps for no reason, constant host disconnects, etc.

Yeah - it is wonderful. The perfect shining example of how MP should be...

When you actually are playing, it isn't so bad. But too many negatives to positives to be a good game, IMO.

The dev's are twittering because it's the only thing they can do from their new Droid phones on the beaches of Barbados sipping on Mai-Tai's and laughing it all the way to the bank.
lol. This is where the troll became obvious.

If you file a chargeback, make the reason you're filing it "Defective - product does not work as described."
(i.e. bad lag, hackers, no dedi's, constant d/c's ... finding out IWNet was swapped in without your knowing)
Funny, the game seems to work for me.

• It's rare (perhaps 1/10 times) that I even notice the lag. Most games I'm paired up with a good host and have <100 ms ping.
  • In two weeks of playing I've encountered one hacker and a few glitch exploiters. And I've played this game pretty heavily. Far less of a problem than even on CS:S servers.
  • Nothing on the box said there were dedicated servers. Multiplayer is still a blast without them.
  • "Constant" DLCs? There was a DLC released? Unfinished assets in the game files don't count. You know, in the old days, they were more expensive, and people called them expansion packs. And they bought them without complaint. But now that it's IW they're the devil.

The arrogance of this is astounding. There is no way you can possilby justify a claim that the product doesn't work as advertised. This is theft*, plain and simple. People on all three platforms are enjoying this game despite the "issues" you've raised. If you don't like the design choices IW made, you have three choices:

• Don't buy it.
  • Make something better.
  • Shut up and sit down.

*("It's not theft, it's copyright infringement!!1" trolls: GTFO)

[*]"Constant" DLCs?

I think he said D/C's (disconnects).

Btw, even though I hate what they did with the multiplayer, I knew it going in when I bought the game. I will not buy another MP game w/o dedicated servers. It is a major deal breaker.

Hurting retailers because you don't like the game is not a good idea.

all this for a $60 game? :rolleyes: not worth my time.. I will go work a few more hours and make enough money to suck up the cost of that game and buy a few more.

I don't own MW2 but I plan on buying it in the next few days, I am going to love the game just to spite you too :D

I said I wasn't going to buy it because of the b.s. that they pulled and also because I'm fearful that they will charge for DLC. So I didn't buy it, and I haven't bought it since.. I did my part.. Too bad 550 million didn't do theirs.

Game seems ok to me minus the cheaters, that could be better but frig. There's lots of crappy games out there and MW2 is not one of them.

Some things could have been improved, yes but that's life. Everyone who is bitching an moaning about this shit already knew about it before they dropped their money on the game.

Move onto another game (or go back to COD 4: MW) and get on with life. You don't get a refund for a crappy movie, what makes this any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back