Don't Install the GTA5 "Play Disc" on Xbox 360

From what I know installing it to the hard drive means that the drive needs to read information from two different sources simultaneously (the play disk and install disk).

So not really Rockstars fault, just the slow hard drives in the 360.

From what I know installing it to the hard drive means that the drive needs to read information from two different sources simultaneously (the play disk and install disk).

So not really Rockstars fault, just the slow hard drives in the 360.

I doubt its the hard drive since even a 5400rpm drive should be faster than the dvd drive.

I doubt its the hard drive since even a 5400rpm drive should be faster than the dvd drive.

You're missing the point. Using both is even faster.

The reason both works better than HDD only is because it can read more data at a time.

what if you install the mandatory disc install on a flash drive and the play disc on the hdd, wouldnt that solve the problem and be theoretically faster or at least the same but without the extra dvd noise?

5400rpm? Bleh. I think I was using drives that slow in 94.

Platter densities have gone up so much that judging spindle speed only holds ground when comparing drives in the same generation. A 5400rpm drive at any platter density from the last decade will outrun all but the fastest optical media. Several years ago I put a 160GB 5400rpm drive in a circa 2001 laptop and it pushes around 45MB/s iirc. I think the fastest BluRay drives can beat that old drive, but seek times will still be slower with the optical. DVD tops out around 30MB/s.

Stupid performance issues aside, I still haven't figured out why they didn't just wait to release the game on the new consoles. Maybe they want people to buy it twice.

LOL, They are pushing the top with the 360 abilities.

I predict I can't play it for more than an hour before it gets to hot and the disc DRM fails. All of my 360's have had the DVD drive fail.. I think 3 times now. 4th is coming.

LOL, They are pushing the top with the 360 abilities.

I predict I can't play it for more than an hour before it gets to hot and the disc DRM fails. All of my 360's have had the DVD drive fail.. I think 3 times now. 4th is coming.

This has nothing to do with DRM... :rolleyes:

what if you install the mandatory disc install on a flash drive and the play disc on the hdd, wouldnt that solve the problem and be theoretically faster or at least the same but without the extra dvd noise?

Eurogamer tested this method and it works perfectly. Provides enough read speed to stream the textures without the drive noise.

So basically wait till it's on sale for $5 on Steam... by then Rockstar should have patched all the issues that will undoubtedly hobble the PC version as well?

From what i can tell of Rockstar: Game content = amazing. Game coding = poor

From what i can tell of Rockstar: Game content = amazing. Game coding = poor

I would say they have some of the best coders in the industry.... I've seen GTA 5 in motion and to get that level and scope of a game working in motion on a device that is 8 years old is simply a mind blowing technical accomplishment. Remember, this entire massive world, and everything including geometry, textures, ai, sound, etc needs to fix into only 512MB of ram.

It's amazing that GTA 5 runs as well as it does on hardware this old.

I would say they have some of the best coders in the industry.... I've seen GTA 5 in motion and to get that level and scope of a game working in motion on a device that is 8 years old is simply a mind blowing technical accomplishment. Remember, this entire massive world, and everything including geometry, textures, ai, sound, etc needs to fix into only 512MB of ram.

It's amazing that GTA 5 runs as well as it does on hardware this old.

Let me re-phrase. PC coding = poor. =)

Rockstar does something pretty clever to work around the bandwidth limitations of the eight-year-old console. Rockstar gets blasted for their cleverness, MS gets blasted for not building a console that's future-proof eight years later.

Read the article people - if you follow directions, and install the first disc and play with the second disc, you get a game that works fine. Someone gets curious as to why the peculiar instructions were issued, finds there's a very good reason for said instructions, and suddenly people are rabbling about how Rockstar can't code.

Rockstar does something pretty clever to work around the bandwidth limitations of the eight-year-old console. Rockstar gets blasted for their cleverness, MS gets blasted for not building a console that's future-proof eight years later.

Read the article people - if you follow directions, and install the first disc and play with the second disc, you get a game that works fine. Someone gets curious as to why the peculiar instructions were issued, finds there's a very good reason for said instructions, and suddenly people are rabbling about how Rockstar can't code.

I think their console coding is excellent. But i'm also assuming that most of their resources go towards console coding because that is where their margins are. Their porting side needs work. Hopefully that'll change soon. Well, we'll find out soon I guess.

Stupid performance issues aside, I still haven't figured out why they didn't just wait to release the game on the new consoles. Maybe they want people to buy it twice.

Would you rather sell to a pool of 70 million people per console, or a pool that will likely still be under 1 million by the end of the year?

It seems to work fine with a 7200RPM drive installed.
I'll go USB/HDD and see how that works out.

plug in 2 flash disc's if you want to install both disc's if you don't have a large enough HDD by default.

problem solved.

Guess you haven't played Max Payne 3 then. Because PC version was excellent.

I have and I agree with you. But then again, its not exactly a massive game like GTA, whose console counterparts run very well.

Back