Don't I Know You Guys?

Hiya Boss, good to be back. Hope all is well with you and yours!
Gonna see if I can whip up a bit more [H] DC enthusiasm. :D

We need some poetry up in here. ;)

The [H]ard bard has returned! :eek: :D :cool:

Welcom back!

I remember relic.
I'm still doing the old f@h on an AMD 4p and HD 7970s. Recently PPD had been majorly cut but this hardware is due for replacement. If I stick to folding at home the next hardware will be GTX 980 Ti GPUs or something 14nm.

I have heard of the legends, but did not know this relic character was more than a myth ........

side note, welcome !

Damn, good to see all these old guard around, and also nice to see/meet the new folks.
Keep crunching those WU!

Hey old dude! Nice to see you again!

Likewise. Work, school and family are keeping me busy to the point where I'm happy just to lurk once in a while.

But you'll still see my WCG production occasionally skyrocket for a couple weeks every time I get in a pallet of servers or workstations that need burned in. :cool:

Likewise. Work, school and family are keeping me busy to the point where I'm happy just to lurk once in a while.

But you'll still see my WCG production occasionally skyrocket for a couple weeks every time I get in a pallet of servers or workstations that need burned in. :cool:

:D Sounds great. I'll take anything you got, old friend. Good to see ya!

I realize I'm a bit late to the party but I figured I'd toss out my welcome back and long time no see.

Sadly I don't have anything worth running anymore as the old workhorse Q6600 just isn't worth the electricity and heat to run and I really can't afford to have it going.

It's nice to see some of the old timers are still around or at least pop up every once in a while.

Hi relic, some are still here as has been mentioned. Welcome back.

Wow.... this is something else. Been a long, long time since I've seen all these folks in the same thread. Had some good times here.

Sadly I don't have anything worth running anymore as the old workhorse Q6600 just isn't worth the electricity and heat to run

Hey Smoke, same boat here, but I still read up every now and then.

Beers and tamales all, beers and tamales, Fold On!

Well in the spirit of folks coming back and since it seemed enough to bring elle back to the mix I guess I may as well say welcome back myself and do something again for the team. Been a bunch of years but I'm back in the US now, done playing war, and I have a GTX 970 just sitting here in my desktop, where would it serve the team well? Been wanting to come back for a bit now, the mojo man himself seems like a good enough reason

Well in the spirit of folks coming back and since it seemed enough to bring elle back to the mix I guess I may as well say welcome back myself and do something again for the team. Been a bunch of years but I'm back in the US now, done playing war, and I have a GTX 970 just sitting here in my desktop, where would it serve the team well? Been wanting to come back for a bit now, the mojo man himself seems like a good enough reason

Medical/BIO BOINC - GPUGrid or Poem
points in BOINC - Collatz or GPUGrid
Medical/BIO non-BOINC - FAH

We could also always use point progression in GIMPS or Muon1 too. (both non-BOINC)

Wow.... this is something else. Been a long, long time since I've seen all these folks in the same thread. Had some good times here.

You can say that again. It's been way too long. How the hell have you been?

Medical/BIO BOINC - GPUGrid or Poem
points in BOINC - Collatz or GPUGrid
Medical/BIO non-BOINC - FAH

We could also always use point progression in GIMPS or Muon1 too. (both non-BOINC)

You forgot PrimeGrid, if one is looking for points. :p

Honestly, an Nvidia card is best served at PrimeGrid (running PPS Sieve WU's) or GPUGrid, if looking for points. Collatz is good, as well, but much better on AMD. In every project I've run, CUDA apps always run faster than OpenCL apps on Nvidia hardware. So look for projects that offer a CUDA app.

I didn't forget Prime Grid as I was pointing out which would score higher. Last I knew, Collatz out scored PrimeGrid even on nVidia. However, that could change from day to day and I haven't really seen a lot of numbers lately. I was merely just giving the highest for each category. But yes, PrimeGrid is a high scoring project.

You can say that again. It's been way too long. How the hell have you been?

Good good. Just a big lifestyle change, and haven't had the resources I used to, which is okay. Still lurk around here quite a bit... good memories man.

Interesting.... I just popped on here to see what the old team was doing and I see this? Relic? No way. It's been a long time. I haven't borged in a long time. :eek: Too damn busy with life.... that and the wife would kill me if I put up anymore hardware [2 VMWare servers and a total of 32 cores, 228 GB of RAM if I include my Storage server] in the basement. 3 full servers = hot shit. :eek:

So anyway, what's new? I see we are hitting a snag with projects and leadership. Is there a consensus on where to direct efforts if I convince the wife I need another machine or some toys to play with? F@H? Bionic? GRID? Also, what's the best way to attack this? Light motherboard with a heavy GPU video card? Or do I need a lot of CPU cores? Need to do some research to find what would work in this world again..

Either way, good to see you guys are still around and not dead yet.

Interesting.... I just popped on here to see what the old team was doing and I see this? Relic? No way. It's been a long time. I haven't borged in a long time. :eek: Too damn busy with life.... that and the wife would kill me if I put up anymore hardware [2 VMWare servers and a total of 32 cores, 228 GB of RAM if I include my Storage server] in the basement. 3 full servers = hot shit. :eek:

So anyway, what's new? I see we are hitting a snag with projects and leadership. Is there a consensus on where to direct efforts if I convince the wife I need another machine or some toys to play with? F@H? Bionic? GRID? Also, what's the best way to attack this? Light motherboard with a heavy GPU video card? Or do I need a lot of CPU cores? Need to do some research to find what would work in this world again..

Glad to see you. There is actually a thread going right now to throw your $.02 in http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1871303

As far as advice on systems, I would suggest money in the GPU's unless you just want to focus on WCG (or another cpu only project). GPU's will be where you find the fastest returned results, typically most points, and glory. I'm a large WCG fan, so I typically encourage it when someone is on the fence. However, even if you do use GPU somewhere, you can always use the CPU as well on the same project or on another one...

Medieval said:
Also, what's the best way to attack this? Light motherboard with a heavy GPU video card? Or do I need a lot of CPU cores? Need to do some research to find what would work in this world again..

I would grab some GTX 970 cards and starting Folding @ Home or BOINC GPU tasks. This GPU is the best bang for the buck especially if you pick up EVGA B-Stock or used on eBay.

Damn good to see you my old friend.
We're surely old...but not dead yet.

holy crap how did I miss this thread... unfortunately life has forced me out of the game for a while now but I still have some stuff running out there

Back