Don't Fryzen that great CPU!

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by lostin3d, Jul 2, 2018.

1. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

2. THUMPer

THUMPer I Sit in Stink

I'd like to see a review!

3. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

4. Chimpee

Chimpee [H]ard|Gawd

5. lostin3d

lostin3d [H]ard|Gawd

I have my doubts too. The claim of full coverage for the CPU has potential but between the name and rgbs something about it reminds me of the homer simpson car.

KazeoHin and GoldenTiger like this.
  6. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

My thought is "heatpipes to nowhere."

lostin3d and defaultluser like this.
  7. Araxie

Araxie [H]ardness Supreme

that dissipation area with that Fin density and configuration I think it's more than enough for those 6mm heatpipes.. if the cooler base it's good enough and pure copper I think it might outperform things at the TRUE spirit 140 levels (just comparing sizes) , so not bad initial impression at all for me..

8. cyberguyz

cyberguyz Gawd

I'm guessing the name reflects what your heavily overclocked Threadripper will do if you use this.

9. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

Leaving the name aside (lol),

Just imagine how much of an idiot you must be to put a giant fat 'X' in front of your single intake fan..
    - Noise just went up through the roof.
    - Performance is down; on top of a dead centre, can't be helped, you've added four separators that do nothing but restrict and split your air flow, in a sideways direction to boot.

M-O-R-O-N.
    RGB and pwetty lightz people are dangerous for PCs. Someone please reassign them to consoles.

* Edit: I bet that 'X' lights up though huh! L33t Pwnage11!!1
    ** I know, i know.. but this is my hobby, lol, and way it's all going, ten years from now? If it doesn't have a custom mounted Barbie (that you can customize), it won't even be imported, so yes, i will bitch.

lostin3d, DedEmbryonicCe11 and Meeho like this.
  10. Ocellaris

Ocellaris Ginger @le, an alcoholic's best friend.

No consoles have RGB lights... Its exclusively PC gamers driving this RGB bullshit.

I bet this sells more units because of the LEDs than it would if it had slightly better performance.

vegeta535 and Aenra like this.
  11. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

Point :(
    Though i do still put these two categories together, consoles, gamers, same lot in my book.

Again though, valid point.. unfortunately..

12. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Honestly, that big X probably doesn't do too much to restrict airflow on it's own. The problem with the fan hub is there are no blades behind it to pull the air and it's right against the fin stack. If it were a half inch or so away and there was another fan on the other side (which may also need to be set away from the fins), then the dead spot wouldn't be nearly as bad. Of course, people cram these coolers into the smallest case possible, so they can't spare the cm on both sides for such a small gain in performance.

All that said, I think it's gaudy as hell and without the LEDs it looks even worse.

Edit: otoh, kind of reminds me of win95...
    Screenshot_Chrome_20180704-153510.png

13. Aenra

Aenra Limp Gawd

An extra fan on a single body blower amounts to 2-3Cs of a difference; if you thought otherwise, you should perhaps reconsider.
    The spacing between a fan and a cooler does indeed have a role to play, but just by this pic alone, i can tell they go pretty much by the same standards everyone else is; don't even see where you got that idea from. Are you perhaps confused by the external cosmetic housing?

Now as to the 'X' not restricting the airflow, well it does. More to the point, as mentioned above, it causes the incoming air to change direction, resulting at best in reduced velocity, as kinetic energy is being dissipated upon impact.

* While it will eventually be sucked in no matter what, you basically have a situation where you've got pockets of air that have found a significant resistance and are about to disperse/have changed direction entirely; part of the remaining kinetic energy is spent in 'pulling' them back in, the remaining mass of air forcing them along with it; that's your energy waste.
    ** This is also what's causing the increase in Decibels, again as mentioned above. That's your impact moment.
    ** i know i'm horrible with edits, i blame the dog. I'll think of why later.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
    Nobu and Meeho like this.
  14. Nobu

Nobu 2[H]4U

Aenra Right, nobody sets the fan away from the fins much, because the gains from that are not enough to justify the increase in space that creates. That's what I was trying to say, not that they were doing anything different in this regard.

As far as the X, I didn't say it has no effect, I just think it's negligible with the type of fans they usually put on radiators. I know there is some effect, but I doubt it's more than a couple °c

Aenra likes this.